Winter Storage Prep Considerations - Pests

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member
I and my neighbor, who is selling me my Northstar, are preparing the camper for storage for the winter. Newbie to this and looking for some back up. I know how to winterize the water systems, and will be pulling the battery for upkeep over the winter. I winterize a boat also so I know that much. I also plan on pulling all the seat cushions and the mattress and storing those in our garage attic. And of course scour the unit to remove all traces of food. Will also through some dryer sheets in there, because that is what the boat people do to keep things fresh and help ward off mice. As the camper will be outside and get snow. We (neighbor and I) will be raking our respective RV's over the winter to keep snow load low. I will probably tarp it just because. It is a very dry climate here in Idaho. We do not experience condensation much. We do experience sun damage.

My question is have any of you had any problems with mice, skunks, etc? We do have skunks in our area, and they can come under our deck sometimes, and seem to hang out under an old wooden shed in the area, near enough to where the camper will be. The camper will be on a wooden dolly, and have it's legs down for stability.

do you guys set traps for mice or anything? Throw mothballs in there? Or am I overthinking because I am a newby?

Mouse traps can't hurt. If you have access to electricity a battery charger can allow you to leave the battery in the camper. Also a Stor-Dri unit which has a fan and a low power heat element and draws less than 100 watts will circulate warm air and keep mold at bay.

If no electricity then one of those units with the crystals that suck moisture out of the air is worthwhile.

sunvalleylaw said:
. . . do you guys set traps for mice or anything? Throw mothballs in there? Or am I overthinking because I am a newby?
Do not use mothballs inside the camper, it will take a long time for that smell to dissipate. We have had good luck using mothballs under our cabin to keep critters from nesting underneath (16" crawlspace). We spread them under in the fall when we close up for the winter and the smell is not noticeable in the spring.

Dryer sheets work for me, lots spread around in the fall, less in the summer. I have a bigger problem keeping mice out the the attic of my garage than my camper. I don't want to put anything (bait) in my camper when stored to attract critters.

jim

I havent' used these on the camper since its never in storage but I've had rodent issues at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-the-Rodent-STR-24-Spray/dp/B00U1U0YT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511643973&sr=8-1&keywords=stop+the+rodent
Capsaicin based.

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Defense-Mice-Repellent-Substitute/dp/B01A9TZPCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511644078&sr=1-1&keywords=rodent+gone
Peppermint based.

Both have ingredients rodents hate. My rodents are gone at the moment. Did these help? I can't say unfortunately but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on camper.

craig333 said:
I havent' used these on the camper since its never in storage but I've had rodent issues at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-the-Rodent-STR-24-Spray/dp/B00U1U0YT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511643973&sr=8-1&keywords=stop+the+rodent
Capsaicin based.

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Defense-Mice-Repellent-Substitute/dp/B01A9TZPCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1511644078&sr=1-1&keywords=rodent+gone
Peppermint based.

Both have ingredients rodents hate. My rodents are gone at the moment. Did these help? I can't say unfortunately but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on camper.
Cool! Did you use both? Notice any difference? I would tend toward Peppermint over Capsaicin for any aroma, I would think.

Coiled up rubber snakes at likely entry points for mice. Just put a note on the camper door to prevent someone from having a heart attack when they open the door and discover the snakes!

Rubber snakes works like a charm. I often use them when camping in locations where ground squirrels are in abundance. They like to shew up the insulation in the engine compartment for use in their den. A rubber snake under the truck and several in the engine bay works wonders. Never had a problem since using rubber snakes.

If you already have a mice infestation, spring loaded mousetraps baited with peanut butter will eliminate the problem in a night or two.

Well, one thing worked out better. I have ended up finding a way to get the camper under cover under our "lean-to" carport on the side of the garage. Just moved around the patio furniture, and pulled out the boat so I could put the camper back in there with the cab over over the back of the boat, after removing the swim deck off the back of the boat to store inside. So, will still do the dryer sheets, and will probably throw a few mothballs underneath, but much less concerned about pests, including mice and skunks. Also, now I don't have to buy a camper cover, or sweep snow off the roof. Nice!

JaSAn said:
Do not use mothballs inside the camper, it will take a long time for that smell to dissipate. We have had good luck using mothballs under our cabin to keep critters from nesting underneath (16" crawlspace). We spread them under in the fall when we close up for the winter and the smell is not noticeable in the spring.

Dryer sheets work for me, lots spread around in the fall, less in the summer. I have a bigger problem keeping mice out the the attic of my garage than my camper. I don't want to put anything (bait) in my camper when stored to attract critters.

jim
Hey Jim, when you spread the mothballs underneath do you just put them out in the open? Or in a bag with wholes or anything like that?

Revised storage situation.

Attachments

• IMG_6842.jpg
    IMG_6842.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6840.jpg
    IMG_6840.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 80
These two are going to be close friends in the summer time, so they might as well get to know each other now. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6839.jpg
    IMG_6839.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 72
Bill D said:
Nice. They look cozy :)
Thanks! I liked how that worked out. Now I can get in and out to clean, polish, futz, etc., also. I pulled all the things with fabric, and will be re-doing the curtains. Can collect second hand silverware, plates, etc. to stock in there as well to get the thing ready for next year.

Great luck with the lean too ! You might want to try wrapping the area with plastic safety barrier or snow fencing. A taunt wire running thru the base row should prevent skunks from "going under". A skunk might be able to climb the plastic mesh but prob won't.

We have racoons and skunks around. You sure don't want to become a "pooping site".

sunvalleylaw said:
Thanks! I liked how that worked out. Now I can get in and out to clean, polish, futz, etc., also. I pulled all the things with fabric, and will be re-doing the curtains. Can collect second hand silverware, plates, etc. to stock in there as well to get the thing ready for next year.
Cleaning, polishing, futzing etc. is the best maintenance you can do. That's when you will notice the little details that you never noticed before and you can take care of them before they become bigger issues, especially when it comes to water infiltration etc.

Have fun prepping for next season!

sunvalleylaw said:
Hey Jim, when you spread the mothballs underneath do you just put them out in the open? Or in a bag with wholes or anything like that?
Three or four handfulls of mothballs are scattered under a 16' X 20' cabin. A couple mesh bags with mothballs in them under your camper should work too. It would make them easier to pick up if the smell get to you.

I don't really notice any smell inside the cabin in the winter, but there is about a 16" air gap between cabin and ground. From your pictures it looks like you have plenty of space underneath. We were solving the problem of porcupines nesting under the cabin in winter. Their nests are gross, smelly, and probably disease ridden. The cabin was unusable that year.

jim

We used some of my wife's old nylons and placed 6-10 mothballs in each and hung them from under the 4 corners of the truck. I like the the snakes. jd

Connect the camper to an AC outlet and install a timer so that you can power up a lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it and set it to run each night from sundown to midnight. Use the second optional setting to turn on the lamp at 6:00am and run it another four hours each day. This will eliminate the dampness and moisture that can/will condense in a closed camper. You can adjust how long you need to run it by getting in there a few times to get the timing length just right.

Options to that are shorter cycles and "heat" lamp bulbs. Clear ones so people won't call 911 because it looks to be on fire from the red glow!

Keeping it connected to shore power lets you have some lights in there to "futz around" to your hearts content and keep your battery inside the garage on a trickle charger and not succumb to the weather. Be sure to adequately support the middle, sides and both ends of the floor but don't leave a ledge exposed for critters to climb up onto. If it is raised up high enough, they won't want to set up house under there if it does not feel "safe" no leaning stuff against it or massive cribbing to hold it up...as open as you can desing it and you can then see any sings of nesting or scat.

Rottweiler's at night do a pretty good job too!

Back
Top Bottom