Winter -- Wow!

It's sunny and beautiful this morning -- but chilly. The low was about 10°F at sunrise.
Of course, "sunny" and "chilly" are related -- lack of cloud cover.

The dogs love to chase squirrels. When I visit my parents they'll get a lot of exercise chasing the squirrels. I am convinced the squirrels also play a game of tease the dogs. Let em get close then scamper up the trees. Well one of em musta said to his compadres, hold my beer, and we know what happens after that. Not sure which dog it was.

Woke up to the sound of snow plows this morning. Had to get out the snow shovel and clear off the sidewalk and drive way and dig out my truck; we got 4-5 inches here on the valley floor. Oh ya, filled up the bird feeders yesterday so the birds and squirrels will be happy today. Lot's of deer, squirrels and dove in the yard waiting for me to throw out some bird seed on the sidewalk-I know don't feed the deer, but if I don't put it out there, they stand on their rear legs and empty the hanging bird feeders! I have pictures somewhere showing them doing that, will try to post! I guess it must be winter! Ho-Ho-Ho!!

Smoke

The storm which hammered Sou Cal is headed for the Blue Ridge and the Smokies in NC Sat-Mon. Maybe 20" of snow by Monday. Shirtsleeve weather up there 2 weeks ago.

Foy

Yep Foy it's suppose to hit us here in the Blue Ridge as well.
I just received the new plow for my skid steer and have moved it to my house in anticipation of the event.
I'll post a couple of pics if we get something worthwhile...

Our eldest son decided to keep his reservations for the Tweetsie Railroad's "Santa Claus Train Ride" in Blowing Rock tonight so he's at the family vacation home at 4,000' awaiting the storm's arrival. And it's bound to be a zinger: Jim Cantore was seen in Crossnore, NC yesterday and was at the Christmas Parade in Boone, NC today! Son says his 5 and 3 year-olds need "some snow experience" so they're up there until at least Monday afternoon. The last mile and 300' of elevation to our ridge top is private with just 1 year-rounder in the last half-mile, but our plowing contractor's home, shop and equipment yard is at the beginning of the private two-track drive. His normal MO is to hit us first before heading down the mountain to other accounts. Son's about to find out how well that works!

Good luck up at Smith Mtn. My associate's parents live on the lake and I suspect they've evacuated to her sister's place in Richmond if not here to the Raleigh area.

Foy

My new "favorite" satellite views (because they've changed the old one, and I don't like it as much) are these:

GOES-17 (aka "West"), full disk, visible band 0.64 µm GOES-16 (aka "East"), full disk, visible band 0.64 µm

GOES17_abi_fullDisk_20181215_173038_band02.jpg GOES16_abi_fullDisk_20181215_173034_band02.jpg

Using the links (not the static images I've uploaded) you can zoom in further, 3 different choices of "Zoom Factor" as well as choices for image size and quality.
Of course, being a visible light band you can't see anything where it's 'night', but I prefer these images over infrared images because it's more like what you'd really see, rather than the cloud temperatures of IR.

Thanks Ski, I was first looking at this and you could not see the whole truck, When they final got to the engine on the back... wow impressive what he put together!

Then at the end there was a video that showed how much gap there is on a second stage thrower and how to fix it and allows more throw distance and helps wet snow from clogging up the shoot. I have two throwers and will be looking at this modification.

I did that modification to our previous snowblower - 38" snapper 13 hp - and was impressed with the results. Did the same on Barking Spider's smaller 2 stage. He is happy.

Winter Storm Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
239 AM PST Sun Dec 16 2018

...Heavy Mountain Snow Late Today Through Noon Monday...

.A winter storm will bring moderate to heavy snow to the
mountains of Western Plumas County and the Northern and Central
Sierra Nevada above 4500 to 5000 feet late today into late Monday
morning. Snow levels will start out near major pass levels but
lower tonight into Monday morning when the most significant
snowfall is expected below major pass levels.

CAZ069-161845-
/O.CON.KSTO.WS.W.0012.181216T2200Z-181217T2000Z/
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO NOON PST MONDAY ABOVE 5000 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow expected. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions. Damage to trees and power lines is possible. Total
  snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches, with localized amounts up
  to 19 inches above 6500 feet, are expected.

* WHERE...West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...2 PM today to noon Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for significant reductions in
  visibility at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means there will be snow covered
roads and limited visibilities. Travel is not recommended while
the warning is in effect. If you must travel, keep an extra
flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency.The latest road conditions for the state you are
calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

ski3pin said:
Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA

...Heavy Mountain Snow Late Today Through Noon Monday...

* WHERE...West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...2 PM today to noon Monday.
Wish we had some of that up here... :(

weather_20181216-1.jpg

Lows above freezing are unseasonably warm for December in Central Oregon. :unsure:

High Wind Warning for Central Oregon, Oregon

From 10:00pm PST, Mon Dec 17 until 3:00pm PST, Tue Dec 18
...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 3 PM PST TUESDAY... * WINDS...SOUTH 25 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH. THE HIGHEST GUSTS WILL BE SEEN IN THE BEND AREA WITH DIMINISHING WINDS TOWARD REDMOND. * TIMING...WINDS WILL INCREASE TONIGHT AND PEAK TUESDAY MORNING BEFORE DIMINISHING BY MID AFTERNOON TUESDAY. * IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS MAY BLOW DOWN LIMBS, TREES, AND POWER LINES. SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES ARE EXPECTED. TRAVEL WILL BE DIFFICULT, ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE.

Well, I'd prefer big precipitation on the way, but big winds might be interesting. Wish I was at the coast for wave-watching.

ski3pin said:
Batten down the hatches, Mark!
Early Tuesday morning is garbage pickup in my neighborhood, and garbage bins have been dutifully set out at the roadside tonight. I wonder if by morning they'll still be standing and snatchable by the bin grabber on the garbage truck? :unsure:

Despite the wind, my trash bin was still standing tall and proud when I got up this morning...and I just saw the garbage truck snatch, lift, dump and replace it successfully.
Thanks, all, for your prayers.
:p

Turns out we're having rain, as well as wind -- a good thing. It's 40°F here at 3,500 feet, so it's probably snowing in the higher mountains.

Maybe not. We got a lot of rain in the last storm but the mountains only got a couple of inches. Unusual storm track.

craig333 said:
...Unusual storm track.
Yep, "pineapple express"-ish

Still...at the local ski area, Mt. Bachelor, they received in the past 24 hours, 11 inches new snow at the 6,300-foot base and 16 new inches at 7,300 feet.

Back
Top Bottom