Winter -- Wow!

Even though we're early in the increasing daylight journey, we're very happy to have turned the corner. We love us some longer days!

Now if we could get a break from the rain! Another inch or four is headed our way tonight/tomorrow and it will put us over the top of 1996 for the greatest amount of rain ever recorded in a single year at the official weather station out at the airport. The 1996 year included Hurricane Fran and this year brought us Hurricanes Florence and Michael (or at least the tropical storm/depression remaining from each). We should top 60" in Raleigh by Monday with 41" having fallen since late August. The Boone/Blowing Rock area up on the Blue Ridge will top 90" by the time this last front during 2018 passes, and that's a full 7" over the previous record in 1979. The 12,500 acre drinking water closest to our house was up 8' over normal pool as of Sunday and its southern counterpart in the next county south/west , also a 12,000 acre reservoir, is 14' above normal pool. The Corps of Engineers is letting all the water it can out of both while being careful not to exacerbate downstream flooding still remaining from Florence.

Foy

Foy, funny you should mention rain. It has been raining here all day! This after a few inches of snow last night which is rapidly melting. Temps in the high 30°s.

Weirdest Minnesota December weather ever!

Folks a couple hours north of us are getting socked with over a foot of the white stuff but we have to be content with slush puddles.

Yep.like these longer days and more sun! Boy, clear and cold today, me and "Bob" had only a short walk with everything frozen---to cold! Some snow on the hills-more on the mountains and gone in the valley floor. Yesterday the same only with a nasty "norther" type wind! Weather folks say that except with an occasional chance of rain/snow, more of the same. To the east the Skedaddle Mtns sure looks nice and all covered with snow. Come on Spring get here :unsure:--need to warm up!

Smoke

We returned home to winter..................................

This Afternoon
Rain and snow. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 36. South wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight
Snow showers. Low around 33. South southwest wind 9 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Sunday
Snow. High near 38. South wind 9 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Sunday Night
Snow before 10pm, then rain showers. Low around 35. Breezy, with a south wind 21 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Mother Nature is ramping it up a bit............................................

Blizzard Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
1052 AM PST Wed Jan 16 2019

...Heavy mountain snows to impact the area through Friday morning
with Blizzard Conditions at times...

.A pair of weather systems will move through the region spreading
heavy snowfall accumulations to the Sierra Nevada and Southern
Cascades. The system arriving today will produce several feet of
snowfall accompanied by high winds leading to blizzard/whiteout
conditions across the higher mountain passes. Travel will be
dangerous to nearly impossible, and is strongly discouraged.

CAZ068-069-170500-
/O.CON.KSTO.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-190118T1200Z/
/O.CON.KSTO.BZ.W.0001.190117T0000Z-190117T2000Z/
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
1052 AM PST Wed Jan 16 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST FRIDAY
ABOVE 5500 FEET...
...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
NOON PST THURSDAY ABOVE 6500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow above 5500 feet. Blizzard conditions
  expected above 6500 feet later today through Thursday morning.
  Travel will be very difficult to impossible. Damage to trees
  and power lines is possible. Snowfall accumulations of 2 to 4
  feet likely above 5500 feet with local accumulations up to 6
  feet over the peaks.

* WHERE...Lassen Volcanic National Park and higher elevations of
  Western Plumas County.

* WHEN...For the Winter Storm Warning, until 4 AM Friday. For
  the Blizzard Warning, 4 PM today to noon Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for significant reductions in
  visibility at times. Winds gusting as high as 60 mph or higher
  will cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant
  drifting of the snow is likely.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means there will be snow covered
roads and limited visibilities. Travel is not recommended while
the warning is in effect. If you must travel, keep an extra
flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency.The latest road conditions for the state you are
calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you.  If you get
stranded, stay with your vehicle. The latest road conditions for
the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Holy Cow Ski!
That is some serious weather. Do folks up there have back up power? If you folks loose power it seems like it could be a while before it gets restored.

I read you post as I was sitting here at Smith Mt. Lake in VA noticing that we too are getting snow but I don't think it's suppose to more than an inch or so...(the stuff on our deck are railing parts as we are rebuilding the deck..)

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 63
The storm warmed and we are getting rain here now. Temperature is dropping so may turn to snow this afternoon. Blizzard conditions are just up the hill with some mountain passes now closed. Heavy wind and thunderstorms overnight rocked the house. We were surprised power was on this morning. Phone, internet, everything else was out. Winter power outages are common. We deal with it by having propane cook top and hot water heater. We have a propane heatstove on the health in the livingroom that does not need electricity. Warm, fed, and clean is all we need.

We were without power with the storm last April for three days. Longest outage was over a week.

We had light snow here (Bend, OR) yesterday -- less than half an inch on the ground...but overnight we got freezing rain. :( :eek:
My [parked-outside] car this morning had a glaze of ice maybe 1/8 inch thick, as did my front steps and everything else. Fortunately for me I had nowhere to go until 10 am, and by that time the sunshine had broken the freeze. Car was still ice covered, but the ice slid off easily with application of scraper. My little-traveled and shady neighborhood road, however, was very slick -- the slightest application of brakes activated ABS as I made my way out...

Well the weirdest winter in some time continues here. Real winter is all around us but not here. St Louis gets 12" of snow and we get nothing. We have had a couple months of above average temps and no snow. Not that I am complaining but it is weird.

Middle of January and we saw a large flock of robins on our walk today- that is just weird for the middle of January here. Used to be the first robin sighting was a harbinger of spring.

The forecast is for more normal temps this weekend as the polar vortex breaks apart and we become the arctic for a few days. But still- we have not been below zero yet this year and no snow on the ground here. The news said winter temps are now on average 5° warmer than in 1970. Climate change for sure.

Just spent 13 days in Yellowstone NP and did not need toe or hand warmers. Nor needed to wear heavy down clothing. First time in 7 trips in January it was this warm.

Edit added more text and spell checked

I woke up to 2 inches of heavy wet snow, weighing down tree branches...but - fortunately - already plopping and dripping off of the trees. It's 35°F here at 10 a.m. and no precip at the moment.

Home-Snow-093645.jpg

Snow to rain here;we seem to be on the edge of that major storm hitting the Sierras this time! We went three days w/o a Bob walk because of the ice and snow! Spent the time inside putting mink oil, etc. on my two new pairs of leather boots (one pr Wolverine 10", one pr Rockport Redemption Moc toes-great x-mas/birthday) and getting them ready for the woods! Oh I got a cat too to deal with the mice problem I've had since my old cat died a while ago! A four year old female named Sadie and boy I forgot how much different they are from dogs although "Bob" dolesn't seem to care-he likes everyone and every thing! Rain coming down pretty hard now, but understand the high country is really recharging the snow pack!

Smoke

Pounding rain, lightning, thunder, high snow levels yesterday. Woke up to 6" of snow this morning. We installed LED worklights on the tractor Saturday. They work great! :)

Been a roller coaster here in NE ...super cold and windy after 14" snow... now a jump of 50 degrees by tomorrow with rain... then at night back down to 15º .... my driveway has been renamed the "luge".

Attachments

• IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4200.jpg
    IMG_4200.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 70
I'm not doing the Winter Fun Festival for the first time in many years. Tried to get a campsite back in november and it was sold out. Not willing to do it as a day run. However, while we have plenty of snow this year its all sierra cement (so I've heard) and that usually means a lot of winching, digging and so forth. Maybe I'll be glad I didn't go. Otoh, lots of sunshine in the forecast, temps in the low sixties for the next week, maybe I can get some work done around the house.

A bit chilly here this morning- glad we live in the metropolitan heat island! Windchill last night was -50°F when I went to bed. Glad we have a nice warm house to hang out in.

Image-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom