Winter -- Wow!

If I had a motorcycle to ride I'd be done shoveling my driveway!

But, alas, I figure I'll have to make another 4 passes of this width (snow-shovel width) to fit my truck.
It took me 30 minutes to do this (150 feet, by measured paces), so as long as I don't poop out, maybe another 2 hours and I'm free!

6 - 8 inches more forecast this pm to tomorrow, but that's nothin compared to the 20+ we received yesterday.

Given the years of decreasing snowpack in the west this is certainly a welcome change. Let's enjoy it. However, we should not assume the "drought" is over. Climate change projections are not that encouraging.

Gotter dun!

A next door neighbor, young guy who took pity on the poor old man, helped finish the last 10 feet.
Then, just as we finished, broke through to the street, a city plow came by and deposited a nice berm across the end of the driveway! :rolleyes: But...wuddya gonna do. Shoveled it out and now I'm free!

7 additional inches are forecast for this evening/tonight...but if it's no more than that my truck can deal it.

Wish I'd seen that earlier Ski. Montana's human (fellow dog park guy) has a cabin up Green Creek road. They were thinking about snowmobiling on in. Fortunately he's a reasonable human and realizes it probably won't happen. That report would have really hit the nail on the head.

I was wondering, with the forecast for a wet heavy snow, does it dry out by the time It reaches 395 or is it still that Sierra cement?

MarkBC said:
Gotter dun!

Then, just as we finished, broke through to the street, a city plow came by and deposited a nice berm across the end of the driveway! :rolleyes: But...wuddya gonna do. Shoveled it out and now I'm free!
Yup, and then there will be the grader for the final pass. :)

ski3pin said:
Oh, where are you planning to go with your new freedom?

Well...in about a week I'll be in an area that very rarely ever gets snow -- except for this past week...crazy weather: Southern Arizona. I should have headed south a week earlier -- then the snow in Bend would only be distant news.

Here in Bend it's currently about 13F and snowing -- pristine flakes -- the kind that glisten because they're flat and perfect. Almost weightless. That's a huge bonus of the snow we've had the past couple of days: cold and colder with no thaw on the way, so much easier to clear -- or drive through -- than it might be.

On my way to the dog park I passed a guy towing a flat bed trailer. Full of snowblowers. Headed up the hill.

For those interested in Tahoe area conditions, magnifeye.Com has streaming cams along all major roads, traffic updates, ski cam links. I 80 currently closed over the summit.

I have been waiting for a weather window to drive home to Boise from AZ and looks like maybe another 2 weeks. It almost snowed here in Havasu, but warm now.

I've been reading about LOTS of flooding along/by the Russian River. Guerneville "...is officially an island..." :eek:
Floods isolate 2 California towns, storm dumps snow in West
………..………………………..

I'm glad Bend's snowy difficulties are more-or-less subsiding -- now just the clean-up. I still have to dig my car out...
Weather_20190227-1.jpg

Weather_20190227-2.jpg

Before I leave town I'm gonna use my roof rake to clear snow from problem areas of the roof -- areas where ice dam caused leakage into the house 2 winters ago.

MarkBC said:
I've been reading about LOTS of flooding along/by the Russian River. Guerneville "...is officially an island..." :eek:
Floods isolate 2 California towns, storm dumps snow in West
………..………………………..

I'm glad Bend's snowy difficulties are more-or-less subsiding -- now just the clean-up. I still have to dig my car out...
attachicon.gif
Weather_20190227-1.jpg

attachicon.gif
Weather_20190227-2.jpg

Before I leave town I'm gonna use my roof rake to clear snow from problem areas of the roof -- areas where ice dam caused leakage into the house 2 winters ago.
The report of the California town being an island and the Russian River flooding made the national news so we were able to see it here on the East coast.

The only casualty at my house (so far...KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) of Bend's record snowiest February.

Home-Snow-153401.jpg Home-Snow-153419.jpg

It came down VERY near where I park my truck...but I'd moved the truck into the main driveway last night, so no big either way.

And as ski3pin alluded to, tomorrow spring sprouts (according to meteorologists) so all wintry woes will wanish!
:D

My UPS delivery has been delayed this week -- which is understandable, because of the snow. Finally, this afternoon I got an email: "Your UPS package was delivered"... "Left at: UPS Box".

Hmmm...."UPS Box"? :unsure: I don't have one... You mean mailbox? I walked up my snowy driveway, out to my streetside mailbox -- but no package in the mailbox nor in the mailbox house. So...I started walking back down my driveway (OK...now I'm gonna have to call UPS...), and -- What's This?!? :eek:

Home-Snow-171205.jpg Home-Snow-171158.jpg

Well...it was wrapped in a plastic bag, so I'm not going to complain. But I think instead of "UPS Box" the email should have said "Snow Bank". :rolleyes:

[I don't know how I walked by the snowbanked package without noticing it on first pass...maybe has something to do with expectations]

Back
Top Bottom