Winterizing - Just the pump

Bill D

We are getting to that time of year again. Our nights are starting to drop below freezing. I want to continue to use the camper in the fall, but I don't want to do a full winterization each time. I plan to drain the water system after each use as I always do, but I'd like to run a bit of RV antifreeze into the pump.

Have any of you broke apart the existing system to do so, or added a 'T' to add antifreeze to just the pump without having to introduce antifreeze to the water holding tank?

Everyone's water system is different so I can only speak generally about my experience with my 2009 Hawk with pump, hot water heater and external shower.

In my opinion, FWC designed their water systems so well that it's not necessary to use that pink antifreeze. If you're worried about the pump freezing, drain the main tank and then run the pump until it's just pumping air. That will be enough to protect the pump.

Read the manual that came with your FWC to learn how to drain the water out of all the hot and cold water lines for the winter. Works just fine.

FWC even installed valves for those of us who want to use cold water in the winter and quickly drain everything at the end of a trip. It involves draining the water out of the hot water tank back into the holding tank, and closing the valve to the hot water heater. That results in the ability to even more quickly drain everything at the end of a cold weather trip since you're only dealing with cold water lines.

I spoke with Terry about this a couple of years ago - In his words - If you want to guarantee a problem free spring, winterize with antifreeze - we had a short conversation about this topic and he explained that due to the very cold and long winter that I live in and the camper must endure - antifreeze is the best bet.

I appreciate that freezing is freezing but the antifreeze gives me piece of mind during the winter - I do not drink out of my tank though.

Bill, yes. I installed this tee just upstream of the pump when I bought my camper. I also installed a water heater bypass kit. I use 1/3 gallon of winterban every year. Works great for me. 15F here last night.

Do you have a source for the kit you mentioned?

Thanks AK, that's exactly the solution I was looking for. I haven't spent a great deal of time looking in my camper yet as I am taking another trip in 2 weeks and mild weather is in the forecast. It would be extremely appreciated if you could post a pic of your install. It looked like there was very limited space to work with, when I took a peak last week.

Thank you so much for the reply. This will really help extend my use of water by a few months each year. We should already be below freezing at night, but so far we've been lucky.

BTW, I'm a bit confused regarding the heater bypass.

Edit:

I figured out the why the heater bypass is used. It's so you are no pumping antifreeze into the empty hot water tank and needlessly wasting antifreeze.

rfg, the link AK posted is to Amazon. You can get it there. It also appears Walmart sells the kit along with every RV dealership on the planet. The kit number is there, so a quick Google Search should help you find your dealer of choice.

Back
Top Bottom