Wintertime...and the livin' is freezy

We have a full tank in the tractor, 7 gallons in cans, and the neighbor (I clear his area) told Julie today he has 10 gallons in his garage for me. Will we need it?

This Afternoon
A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. South southwest wind around 8 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tonight
A slight chance of rain showers before 9pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 9pm and 1am, then a chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. South southwest wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday
Snow showers before 4pm, then rain and snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. South wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Wednesday Night
Rain and snow showers, becoming all snow after 7pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. West southwest wind 12 to 17 mph becoming north 6 to 11 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 35. East northeast wind 6 to 9 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

Vic Harder said:
I see my last post the pic didn't come through... Winter has arrived in Calgary!
Vic, we are expecting similar temperatures in north central Montana. I’m a new to lithium and cold weather and decided I’d disconnect the system and remove the battery until it gets to a balmy 0(F) or so. What do you do with your batteries when it heads to -40(F/C)? Do you keep the batteries in place?

thx,

Defulmmt said:
Vic, we are expecting similar temperatures in north central Montana. I’m a new to lithium and cold weather and decided I’d disconnect the system and remove the battery until it gets to a balmy 0(F) or so. What do you do with your batteries when it heads to -40(F/C)? Do you keep the batteries in place?

thx,
Leave them in there. As long as you are not trying to charge them, they will be fine.

Looks like winter finally hit home, in Bend.
Closed the schools. Colder on the way, as Steve said.
IMG_20240110_100030.jpg IMG_20240110_100347.jpg

Must be a huge, continent-wide, blob of cold coming down from the north. Where I am in southern Louisiana is forecast to have lows in the teens early next week.
IMG_20240110_101553.jpg
I'm planning to be someplace warmer...if I can.

It looks like "burr" is making its rounds. We are only getting down to 20 and the high teens (F). But that's after in warms up to just above freezing to soften the snow and then refreeze it harder than a rock.

ski3pin said:
It looks like "burr" is making its rounds. We are only getting down to 20 and the high teens (F). But that's after in warms up to just above freezing to soften the snow and then refreeze it harder than a rock.
Get the berms plowed before it’s ice…

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Get the berms plowed before it’s ice…
You bet! I learned that one decades ago, but sometimes there's no way around it. A few nights ago the county plow ran during a warm night and moved a layer of slush off the road and deposited a berm across our private road. In the morning it was a foot high hard frozen mess. Take it slow and the big blower chews through it, but it is critical to watch the discharge chute as the snowblower is throwing rocks of ice.

Hey Vic. the NWS issued a potential low of -34 to -38 for western MT valleys. and about three nights below zero before moderating. what thought on pulling a lithium battery with those temps?

Officially, Battleborn says "The storage temperature range is -10°F to 140°F (-23°C to 60°C)." It is colder than that now here, but USUALLY, the camper stays warmer inside (where the batteries are). That said, my batteries have seen -35*C and still work fine. Not sure how I would measure the impact. YMMV of course, but, I leave them out in the cold.

thanks. looked at the BB site and got me thinking. Should have left for Baja this week!

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Although I was born (and the family has deep roots) in Wisconsin, I grew up in southern California. I moved back to the old hometown in Wisconsin in 1972. I had a job in the historic downtown and would walk the several blocks to and from home.

I was known as "that kid from California." And for most, that was far from a complement. I was showered with horror stories about the coming winter. It became a community obsession and ongoing joke.

One clear winter day I walked home for lunch. I turned on the radio where I heard warnings that it was -28F with a wind that put the windchill below -60. The warning was for no one to go outside. I walked back to work. It was cold.

A week later I stepped into the local pub, The Town Pump. I noticed a new calendar pool - betting pools on sports and such was a big deal - sheet taped to the wall behind the bar. I rarely went into the place so the barkeep did not know me. I pointed and asked about the pool.

"Oh that," the barkeep said. "The other day people saw that silly kid from California out walking when it was cold so we started a pool on what day you think he'll die. Want in? Only costs a buck."

That's a good story! I wouldn't have a clue how to live where its really cold. Teens are cold enough for me. I'm bringing plenty of gear this weekend even though its likely we'll just see rain on the historical run. I sure hope the fairgrounds has the electrical fixed. I may run out of propane if I cant' plug in. About the only trip I do where I plug in.

-29 here in the Bitterroot Valley. some -40 in other places in MT this morning. finally getting some winter!

The last winter i lived in Helena MT it got to be 40 below zero. I had to walk to work because I knew the old corrola would not start. I dressed up like the Michelin Man and walked the mile and a half. Kind of surreal being out in that weather at 6:30 in the morning. Did not see anyone else around. But, being raised in Townsend MT and having a paper route I knew being out and about in very freezing conditions is just a matter of lots and lots of layers. It is also kind of peaceful and private with no one in their right mind outside. All the drifts I ran into were untouched until I tramped over or through them. Not so bad really.

Three hours working snow today, about 45 minutes with a shovel, the rest on Big Red. Did driveways for two neighbors, then did the Fort. Temps around 11° (or lower).

Back
Top Bottom