Wiring and Charging for 2016 F150

overtheborder

I have a 2015 Hawk and recently upgraded by 2009 F150 for a 2016 F150. I have my new truck all set up with suspension upgrades and mounting but am having troubles with charging.

The new truck is:
Ford F150 XLT
3.5 Ecoboost
FX4 Package
Sport Package
Max Tow Package

On my 2009 truck, there was a separate relay and fuse for the charging through the trailer harness. We simply wired into the harness just in front of the wheel well and all was fine. We wired my new truck similarly. The running lights are hot and active but the the charge wire does not seem to be live. There is no relay in these new trucks but rather, the system seems to be activated by a controller. I have the Max Tow Package and have found many references online to the charge wire not being powered until it senses a trailer that requires a load. My camper is plugged in but the truck does not seem to sense it. I have configured a new trailer I call "camper" but that did not seem to help either.

I know there are a few owners of 2015 and 2016 F150s on the forum, so I'm writing for some assistance.

Thanks much in advance.

You can't just tap directly into the battery with a breaker and/or isolator? Is there some benefit to going through what sounds like a programmable interface?

That might, in fact, be the way to go. I took this route because that was the normal option in the past if the trailer package wiring was already in place. I didn't know that there was no separate relay until I went hunting for it and had the wiring in place. So I thought I would check in the experience of others to see if I could still use this route.

Old Crow said:
Something to ponder.....

Old Crow.
Thanks for this video. I found this also and am considering this as a fix. It seems like a nice integration of the new system while moving back to a simple charging wire that runs through a relay.

I am still interested in what other newer F150 owners have in their trucks.

Thanks again for input.

American RV Azusa (SoCal dealer) installed my 2016 Hawk onto my 2016 F150.

Wiring from the camper goes to a relay under the hood. The positive is wired from the relay to the positive post on the battery. The negative is wired to the same screw that a factory ground is wired to the body (next to the fuse block).

Back
Top Bottom