Wonderful ATC/4Wheel Locale.........

Corisam

If you're going up/down the east side of the Sierra Nevada - there's a not much used beauty to be seen: Bristlecone Pine/White Mountains recreational area - located just off Hwy US 395 near Big Pine, CA. Check http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/WhiteMts.html . You will climb on adequate 2wd roads from four thousand past campgrounds at seven and ten thousand with a final destination of Patriarch Grove (no camping there) at 11,200. There are Bristlecones up there that are still alive and are three and four thousand years old. Remarkable quiet, isolation and views back across the Owens Valley at the High Sierra and Mt. Whitney. The White Mountains peak out at 14,000. Conde Nast magazine - purportedly THE travel magazine of the Western World - called the stretch from Tahoe south on Hwy 395 along the East slope of the High Sierra the most beautiful continuous 300 miles in North America.

Thanks. I'm planning a trip mid summer and thought that looked like a good area. One more plus in the equation. My maps seem to indicate one could camp in the White Mountains if one where totally self contained (as a Four Wheel Camper will allow). Do you have any suggestions as to a good 1 or 2 night location?

I'm looking in the area of Silver Mtn Rd.

White Mountain Camping

The USFS personnel responsible for the White Mtns indicated that pulling off onto a side dirt road while climbing up toward the Bristlecone forests was OK for overnight camping. Another area close by would be the famous Alabama Hills (several miles west of Lone Pine, CA) at the base of the Sierra in the same vicinity of the White Mtns - over 700 movie and tv westerns have been filmed in that picturesque locale. Too, you might want to visit the famous "Winnedumah" hotel (Independence, CA)- home to many Hollywood casts while filming and 'secret hideout' for many trysts of Hollywood big names over the years.

EdoHart and White Mountains

EdoHart.
Big Pine is my home turf! The White Mountains, Inyo's, Eastern Sierra's
are all part of my great big back yard!
There are a great number of great trails and places to explore out here.
What size truck/camper rig do you have? And is it ..four wheel drive ?
Both of the above will factor in to just which of all those trails you'll be able
run, and where you'll be able to venture in to over here.
You mentioned a..Silver Mtn. Road, in context with the White's and Bristlecones.
I'm not familiar with a Silver Mtn Rd. in this locality. (That don't mean it don't exist!)
But...There is a Silver Canyon Road that runs up the west side of the White's and into the Bristcones!.
It leaves out of Laws, at the north end of the city of Bishop, on Hwy395.
Hate to say, buy IF that is the trail you've got in mind, I surely wouldn't recommend tackling it
in a full size rig with a "camper on the back", and personally, I wouldn't tackle it in any size rig without...4X4!
It's one of those trails that can lure you in with easy going pretty much all the way, then slam-dunk ya'
with show-stopper rock crawling over slides, across wash-outs and bed rock
stair-steps.
Much of the rough stuff can be along the narrowest upper trail hanging on the side of the mountain,
and there are... no turn-arounds!
I do not believe it's maintained by Inyo County, but...I could be wrong on that, I don't know for sure.
IN all fairness, as with any trail, conditions can vary from year to year! Depending on the whims of weather and elements! It's always best to check ahead with the...locals!
It's a trail that many local off-roaders refer to as a ...downer!
That is to say, they don't recommend you try and climb it (an...upper!) anyway. Best to ...come down ...
from the top with gravity on your side!
Anyway, if I can share any of this great country over here with you, be happy to oblige!

Safe trailing...Coop.

Hi Coop,

I lived in Mammoth Lakes and Bishop before moving here to Carson City in 1985. You are VERY right about the road out of Laws up the hill. Drove that road a few times and it is not a easy road!!!

It is best to be a downer. Very steep and tight two point swichbacks. Last time I did it I went down in very low range and let the engine slow it down. My girl friend did not like the road and one that she will never do again.

There was a older couple that was on the road and the engine died...I can't remember how may times they rolled but they both survied!

There are so many great places to vist in the Owens Valley and I have done more since I moved than when I lived there.

Plenty to explore where the truck is fine? Or would I regret not towing my Jeep along with me?

Hello pvstoy.
How long did you live down south here?
So you have run the Silver Canyon road too...huh? Yep! It can be a mean one! I went "up" the road the first time I did it, that was "before" the locals told me that...wasn't a good idea! Ha! It can be a ...white-knuckler...either way!! I trust your girlfriend is still 4 wheeling with you. Yes, you are right. I've been coming out to the high desert country here for over twenty years, before moving here, and still haven't found/seen all that the Owens Valley, Eastern Sierra and Western Nevada have to offer.
If you are passing through Big Pine anytime, stop on by, maybe we could swap some trail stories.

Regards...Coop.

Plenty to Explore ???

Hello craig333
Well, it depends on where along Hwy395 you want to explore, and what kind of exploring you want to do?
But...I'd venture to say that if you have a JEEP, tow it along with with you!
There aren't a whole lot of flat land trails on the floor of the Owens Valley.
The Valley is plenty long, but not very wide. A couple of miles to the east or west off Hwy395 and you start...climbing. And for the most part the roads/trails are old mining and exploration roads, not your Forest Service road variety! Typically they are narrow, tight, can be steep, gnarly, and almost always/constantly in 4X4. But...they are all worth the price of admission to some great country and awesome views.
Most of the big-rig, with or without 4x4, accessible areas, at least that I'm familiar with, are north of here up out of the Bridgeport area. They are the Masonic Mt., Lobdell Lake, Dundenberg Peak areas. All fabulous high mountain country. From the Masonic Mt. area, out of Bridgeport, for example, you can explore a whole lot of the country east of Hwy395 on dirt clear on south down to Bodie, and beyond to Mono Lake. All the way south on Hwy395 from Lee Vining to Mammoth Lakes you are traveling through the Inyo National Forest, and there are Forest Service Roads off in every which direction, and some great country to be seen in there as well.
It all depends on where and what ya' want to do? And...how much time you have.
If you have anywhere/anything specific in mind, or if you're looking for suggestions, be glad to try and help you out.

Regards...Coop

All I've done so far is go down 395 to Panamint and stop off at bodie on the way. So lots to do yet. We'll see how much time I have once I start the new job.

Thanks for all the replies

I kind of got busy at work and forgot to check back here for a while. Anyway, thanks to all who replied. I do believe the road I show as the Silver Mnt. road is the very rough sounding one. I've been up to Papoose Flat in the Inyos, and even traveled the road from Teakettle Junction to the Saline valley in my 4x4 Dodge Full size with a Hawk camper, but that was with another truck on the trip. From the various descriptions, I don't think I'll attempt Silver Cyn. Rd.

And don't forget to check out Lundy Canyon just north of Mono Lake and Lee Vining. A beautiful county campground set in Aspens alongside Mill Creek with trout fishing, hikes and plenty of wheeling possibilities. Just don't tell too many folks about it.

Beaver ponds too - noy many of those in the Eastern Sierra.

Geocachers check out 'Beaver heaven'

Back
Top Bottom