Work Boots

craig333

Riley's Human
Currently wearing Timberland Pro boots. Leather is still in good shape. I work in a very wet environment. I thought the waterproofing had worn off so I spent some time last night giving them a good going over with sno seal. Go to work today and my feet are getting wet. Did I miss a seam? Just now took em off my feet and now I see whats wrong. Both soles are cracked completely through. Very disappointing to see this happen so soon.

I don't hike in my work boots, I just need them comfortable for a ten hour shift and waterproof. Lasting longer than six months is a plus too. I do realize with the sugars and acids its a tough environment for boots but I'm ready to try something else.

I put a lot more effort into buying footwear than any other clothing and it upsets me when they wear out prematurely. I feel your pain. If they can't be resoled you might try sealing the cracks with Goop before you give up on those dogs. It has worked for me. A tube cost about $5 so it isn't an expensive gamble. Good luck.

Craig, if you have to replace them, I've been happy with Danner boots. Made here in Oregon. They will rebuild the boots for you. When they need a little work. My original pair of Mountain Lights is just about ready for a trip back to the factory after twenty years of use.

Wheeler & Wilson used to resole my climbing boots in Bishop. They are now just Wheeler's Wilsons I think.
If the tops are still good, a fresh retread of vibram might get you down the road.

Other than that, I am very happy with my new Asolo boots. I've been enjoying dry feet while doing light snow, stream crossings and the like. I've always been a big fan of Asolo ski boots.

""I do realize with the sugars and acids its a tough environment for boots but I'm ready to try something else."

Sounds like a tomato cannery I worked in for years, before moving to a meat plant. Both wet all the time. Most of our mechanics used Red Winds and liked them. 6 months to a year tops is all anyone got out of boots.

Bill

Lighthawk said:
<snip>

I've always been a big fan of Asolo ski boots.
I take it you never had a pair of the 'Kenko Crackers'. I broke the toes off my first pair of Asolo Snowfields because of bad batches in the early boots. I went to Merrill's for touring, and Scarpa T2s for telecrashing, No problems after that.

I love my full leather Asolo hiking boots, too. So much in fact that I own two pairs. For spending hours on the concrete floor of my wood shop I prefer Keens, but they are not waterproof.

Boots-one of the tools of the trade for me for years. A big part of job involved walking miles every day, up and down hills, threw creeks, woods, lava, deserts, in all sorts of weather and climates year round, what ever. For years I had my old army boots-got out with three pair(not jungle boots but the leather ones-but over time, no matter how well I took care of them, they wore out. I've tried hiking boots, great for hiking, not so good in snake, wet or brushy country and not that much ankle support-just about every type of boot! I have used wild land fire boots-great for fires, but to heavy for me for year round use. Overs the years I've went threw hundreds of pairs of boots, but the longest any of them last is two years of almost daily work.

Long story made short again, for the last 35 or so years I've used old leather Red Wings coated with lot's of mink oil, or a good boot wax when not on fire duty or tromping threw the snow-then its Sorals. Red Wings are heavy duty enough for most jobs (in a pinch for fire duty or in the snow), high enough for snakes and ankle support and if you keep them in good condition they last a season at least. Number one thing is you have to use oil, wax or polish on a regular basis to keep them pliable and water proof (even on the boot soles). I also used them to back pack with-no reason to have a pair of boots just for back packing-right-climbing maybe, walking no. Even with good care and good socks, the most they ever lasted was two years and many a year when I worked the lava country they lasted only one year. I should also note, that I always have and old pair of flat healed cowboy boots for camp, slop and every day use!

To back up the importance of good foot ware, once while working in the lava country near Altruas and miles from now where, I blew my ankle out -wrong step at the wrong time, while I was working with my LEO and a rec planner; The cop looked at me and said (to inspire me) "well we can't get a chopper in to take you out and we damn well are not going to carry you out, so I guess you walk or I'll have to shoot you (cop humor), so I just laced up my boot and walked very slowly- the two miles out". More boot wisdom-Never-ever-take your boot off if you blow out/sprain your ankle and your foot starts to swell, old army, boy scout, field lore because you will need that boot on to get out.

That help!

Smoke

I used to wear red wings when I was with CDF. Couldn't afford a pair of whites. I made the mistake a while back of going to get a pair of boots and I mixed up wolverines with red wings. Those were so uncomfortable I stopped wearing them after a week. Have the shoe goo on now, we'll see how that does. May go with a pair of red wings. I had a pair of Asolo hiking boots once while they were nice they're way to heavy for work wear. Unfortunately needing waterproof boots means my inexpensive hiking boots are out.

Craig-a little wax or mink oil and tlc makes Red Wings a nice comfy boot! And while a bit more expensive than some others, they are allot cheaper than those Whites-and lighter too! I always felt I'd rather spend a bit more to get more anyway :) and my boots got me thru lot's of country for a long time. Got to go, it time for the legend of Mick Dodge on TV!

Smoke

I work outside and need a good pair of waterproof boots. I have been very happy with my Keen industrail boots, Keen is also an Oregon company

I got surprisingly good service from a pair of steel toed (required) DeWalt's from Penny's while working the ~8 months at the steam & gas turbine generating plant. They're still far more than just garage/shop use serviceable. I don't want to think of the petro-chemicals they got drug through....

Just bought my first two pair of Keen's. No miles on them yet. Also got a pair of Georgia Boot logger style lace-ups that I plan to use for my extreme conditions rough country footwear. The Wharf is having a clearance sale, the Keen's were about 1/3 off and the Georgia's were 1/2 off.

I used to wear Danners -- but got a bad pair that leaked right away. I got pissed and quit buying them. I've been using Georgia's for the last 5 years or so -- but they seem to last at most 1.5 years. By the time they start leaking they aren't worth repairing or putting a new sole on.
I need to go back to the Danner's and throw down for the Gore-Tex version and wear then until they need new soles.

I use Mink Oil or the waxy Sno-Seal to keep the leather from getting trashed.

Shoe goo was no go and a store very close carries the Keens. I may as well go take a look at them.

craig333 said:
Shoe goo was no go and a store very close carries the Keens. I may as well go take a look at them.
Craig don't know about Keen work boots but we have been wearing Keen street and trail shoes for many years and they are great.Just put them on from the box and walk away.
You might try some of the on line shoe places. Get a 1/2 size larger,is what we do.
Good luck in finding your boots.
Frank

Got to use the goo! Makes things go better no matter what you buy and makes those boots comfy! I actually like to sit in the living room, line up my boots and attack them with that nice gooey mink oil and wax and a dirty rag-sort of brings out the inner me :love: ! Like using those cotton balls to spit shine those toes of those army boots once a long time ago! People just seem to forget about using that stuff, but it really works-never used Keen boots before, but if Frank likes them they got to be good! Enjoy what ever you get! Still like my old Red Wings thooo---!!! Every time you walk thru that cold steam you remember the fact your feet are still warm and dry!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom