Would this be an insult to the AK community...

JoeKan

If I took my beautiful American made 8' NCO and hauled it in a truck bed trailer and then towed it instead of hauling it? My tow capacity on 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado is 1700lbs. The camper weighs around 1000. With the fuel, me and other stuff I will have, I'm going to be pushing the limits. I don't know of any other option? I don't think air bags or super springs will help me that much?

Well, **I'D** certainly be offended if you did that!

Seriously, Joe, If I remember correctly, you brought the camper home on the back of your pickup truck. How did it handle? How did it stop? How was it on long hills? Did you actually take it to a scale and weigh your truck, with and without the camper? I'd be interested in seeing the actual figures posted here, we can all give you better advice if you can do that.

I think there is a big difference between being a bit over the GVWR and being a LOT over the GVWR. I wouldn't hesitate to be a bit over.

As far as suspension mods go, they can't LEGALLY change your GVWR, but they can certainly correct for a bit of rear end sag and get your rig level again.

Let me recommend two sites that have a lot of good articles on this subject:

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/category/suspension-tires/

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

I admire your desire to do the right thing. If you wanted to know exactly where you stand as far as payload it would be good to know the true weight of the camper. Alaskans aren't very light and 1,000 lbs for an 8 ft even when it's not a cabover seems low to me but won't know until you weigh it.
Your payload should be posted in the door sticker. It varies based on the configuration of your truck.
Good luck with your plans. You have nice equipment and the right idea. Nothing wrong with wanting to be safe:)

I weighed my truck and then my truck and camper today and found out my camper is heavier than I thought. It weighs 1160 for an 8ft. NCO. My GVWR is 7000 and if I did my math correctly, with a full tank of gas and me, I'm going to have about 180 lbs for anything and everything else. I think I'm going to have to use a truck bed trailer for peace of mind, which is okay because I'm going to be traveling from KC to Omaha at least 2 times a week. This way, I can unhook my trailer and camper and just go.

The question is always "Do you have ENOUGH truck for the camper?"
By that I mean do you have a bed long enough to move the center of gravity and some of the weight forward rather than put it all on the rear axle. Do you have enough horsepower to carry the load (any mountains in Kansas?) Do you have a LEGAL and SAFE load on each axle?

1) weigh truck with full tanks and you in it on each axle and both axles
2) weigh each axle separately
Now you know how much weight you can put on each axle

3) load up the truck with the camper and all your gear and passengers and take the same scale readings

Now you can compare those numbers to the weights EACH AXLE can carry and if you are under the limits of each one, then compare the GVWR to the reading for BOTH axles with the truck fully loaded.

The problem many run into is with a short-bed truck and an 8' camper or an 8' bed and a 10' camper is wo much weight is on the REAR axle and while the weight you get for BOTH axles and the camper may be under if VIN tag GVWR, you have too much on the rear axle which is unsafe.

Take note that MANY guys have overloaded the rear axle by as much as 200 lbs or more and have no problem with steering or stopping, the off set load may cause a problem with a flat tire or with high winds. If you can get those scale readings and the VIN tag weight allowances for your truck you will know a LOT more about what it can and can't carry. One ride home under favorable conditions is not the same thing as attempting to go anywhere in any weather.

Having said that, I owned an 8' NCO and it rode fine in my '85 F150 LONGBED.....as you happen to have a shortbed truck, the center of gravity/weight is at the REAR and I believe you are stretching the ability to SAFELY carry the Alaskan in all weather with that truck.

So....read the owner's manual for your truck about what it can safely tow and see if your set up requires BRAKES according to the DMV in your state. That might be a better option for you if it is and you won't need to haul the Alaskan around all the time and you won't need to UPGRADE that truck at this time. Hopefully it has a big engine and has the towing capacity for what you intend to use to tow.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom