WTB/Need advice: Truck and camper for family of 4

Tech Tonics

Two adults, two small kids.
Looking for a truck with less than 100,000 miles and NOT a dedicated camping rig (but also not a daily-driver)
F150, Tundra, Titan, etc.

And looking for a camper to fit ^^ that truck! Looks like a FWC Hawk or Granby or similar have sleeping arrangements for 4.

Anyone care to point us in the right direction?

Budget for camper and truck combo = $30,000

We are located in SWCO (durango) but can travel if needed.

I should add, there are tons of F150s around here...so, if you have a camper that will sleep 4 in the ~$10,000 range---let me know please!

Just my opinion, but for a family of 4, plus everything needed for 4, you may want something larger than an F150.

Bump, as I just pulled the trigger on a 2010 Tundra Double Cab (6.5' bed).

So. Narrowing my search to something that will work with this truck!

I just put my Hawk on the same truck and it carries it beautifully with Air Lift air bags. Our two kids can sleep on the lower level just fine but as they are now 8 and 11 we are putting them in a tent because that makes moving around in the camper much nicer. I don't have the rollover bench seat so setting up and breaking down the platform bed daily is a bit of a hassle. Not to mention better privacy for mom and dad without the kids in the camper.

The Hawk works great for us over all. I call it the backpacking version of truck campering but that is the way we like it. The camper is mostly a vessel for the fridge (so much better than lugging a cooler), shelter in bad weather, and a comfortable bed as opposed to a hangout. Hanging out happens outside. You are probably of a similar mind.

Paring down the gear for four people is necessary as there isn't a ton of room for big items. The best investment in micro gear I have made was to ditch the regular camping chairs and spring for four of those Helinox Chair Ones. Expensive but four chairs now take up the space of one regular low camping chair.

Lagun cockpit table or similar mounted table is a must. My last piece of free advice is to get the biggest fridge possible. Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom