WTW Member's Truck & Camper Stolen

Nathanael, I alerted friends of my that live on bainbridge Island. Where was it last seen? Because of the uniqueness of your truck, its bound to be discovered soon. Fingers crossed for your buddy.

No news to report.

I spent most of the day driving, looking to see if I by chance could spot it, no luck.

Thanks for all the sharing on Facebook, it is at times like this I wish I was on social media.

Starting to realize that she is probably gone. And the thought that even with a "fair" payout from insurance, I am not sure I can replace what was lost, is starting to creep in. I would give up all my other possessions to have my truck, camper, camping gear, and all my photography equipment back.

My bet is Hadly will turn up. That has to be one of the most unique FWC camper truck combo's out there - She is famous.

The Glass is half full

Any idea how she was stolen? Toyota trucks are not that easy to steal.

I've recently seen some unconventional advice on trying to recover a stolen vehicle. I thought I'd post here as food for thought...

This tip suggests taking taking flyers with photo and reward info to the local trash-truck garage. (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get near my local one because the whole compound is fenced in and visitors prohibited. But it might be worth a call to see if there's some way to offer a reward to crew. Or perhaps talk to a trash-guy for ideas on informal ways to offer a reward.)

This one suggests scanning city transportation-department records of parking violations for the missing vehicle. (I don't think there's anything like that where I live but it does help us think about what happens if the thief abandons the vehicle. He may have just been after the contents (perhaps after noticing it being loaded with photo gear). I guess one would want to confirm with local police that their search process scans parking-violation records and abandoned-vehicle reports.

It may also be useful to check with police about any past vehicle-dumping locations in the region---- like municipal or county land, state or national forests, parks, water-management districts, etc and contact management there to alert rangers to the theft (if that's not already part of the process). If I were a thief with a visually-obvious rig like this and wanted to strip the truck, I'd figure that camper is just too risky and would dump it somewhere.

-OC

Overland Hadley said:
Thank you.

10pm last night parked next to the house and garage. Could see it from the street but not by much.
I didn't know you moved to Bainbridge. I thought you were just traveling through. Where on the island do you live? My friends live on the south side near Fort ward.

Have you thought about starting a facebook page for your truck so others can provide leads and have discussions?

Camper has been recovered deep in the woods two hours south of here. It was dragged/ripped off the truck, so I have little hope that it is not broken.

Truck was involved in a chase through the woods, it got away. LEO says it will most likely be burned tonight.

Some of my gear has been recovered, I am not sure what. I am headed down and will be out with the LEO at dawn.

I was inspired by the support shown on FaceBook, so I finally signed up. Nathanael Kuenzli Photography

Updates tomorrow night.

Very sorry to hear about your ordeal. They should be able to find the pricks now that they'll have a lot more evidence from the recovery scene. I wish you the best of luck.

This should be a warning to all of us that we need to be careful out there. There are jerks who always want the easy way out and stealing is easier than working your whole life and saving for a goal. These people steal more than our material, they can steal our time, our ambition, and our sense of security. It is good to see how we banded together to help each other :) I hope luck is on Nathanials side and Tardis is not to badly damaged. What I hope for the perpetrator cannot be posted on a family site......

Sorry to hear of this. Really sorry, I know the long and winding road it took to get the truck and camper together. And I well know the feeling left behind from having something stolen.

I'm looking at the Simjack Secure Steering Wheel Lock with the brake pedal lock. Currently using the Truck Club, but you can cut the steering wheel and remove. The cost for both and peace of mind is $88.00.

http://simjack.com:8185/

Click on item #6 on the left side of the web page. There is a short video on the installation. The yellow cover completely covers the steering wheel.

Glad they recovered the camper and hopefully it can be fixed. Keep us all post. This is one large family.

jd

So very sorry to hear about this. Some small comfort in getting closure what with finding the camper. With luck the truck will be found soon. The hole in your psyche from the loss will take some time. Wishing you the best.

Alan

Nathaniel,

So sorry for this great loss. I don't really know what to say other than that.

Insurance can't possibly replace everything you lost, not to mention all the time and effort put into the truck and camper build.

Hang in there.

While I'm sure it suffered some damage being removed that way I'm betting its tough enough it won't be that bad. I'm surprised they got away. Probably don't have the resources our cops have. I'm betting no helicopter. Maybe they'll be in too much of hurry to torch it. Hoping.

The campers are built tough - sure your build was. Might be beat up, but usable. Hope most of the gear is still in it. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about this. I enjoyed your build process back when, as did many others- I was new to my camper then too. Here's hoping time and a good insurance company restore you, your equipment and your truck/camper to acceptable condition and you can return to more happy camping. Good luck.

Hopefully most of your gear is recovered and the camper is in ok shape. Let me know if you need some help. I live just down the road have jack stands and other random camper gear laying around.

Back
Top Bottom