XP Camper Intro Rally

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I have been talking to Marc at XPcamper and we are going to try to arrange a Norcal rally in June to check out his rig and enjoy some brew and good food. We may be supplying some of the goods to the group (beer and food) and more details about that will be made available soon. The XPcamper intro thread is here:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3200/

Interest in this kind of rally has already been expressed in that topic so this new topic will become the official nailing out the details thread.

Time: Mid to late June?

Place: Norcal - Usal Beach has been discussed as a potential spot but suggestions are welcome.

Please let me know if you would like to try to attend, what dates work for you, and suggestions for a spot if you know a good one.

Very cool DD and Marc. Thanks. Late June is better for us.

Usal might be a little crowded for a gathering. Perhaps east of Lassen would be a good spot. This site on the Susan River can fit a half dozen campers or so. Lots of roads (2wd and 4wd) to explore nearby with other boondock possibilities. Near Silver, Caribou, Eagle, and Crater Lakes for fishing. And a couple of campgrounds nearby if necessary.

gallery_176_99_27341.jpg

Sounds good. I was planning on being in NoCal around mid June on other business. Pencil me in as a definite possible maybe (Jay can I barrow your pencil?). The dates haven't been set yet so I can't say for sure. I would love to see one of these campers.

Mike

I may be able to make it. My usual week off after fathers day may not happen this year. My boss can't find my vacation request. Is it okay to strangle your boss? Certainly like to make it if possible.

Usal might be a little crowded for a gathering. Perhaps east of Lassen would be a good spot. This site on the Susan River can fit a half dozen campers or so. Lots of roads (2wd and 4wd) to explore nearby with other boondock possibilities. Near Silver, Caribou, Eagle, and Crater Lakes for fishing. And a couple of campgrounds nearby if necessary.

I tend to agree - Usal may be a bit hard to find for some people and have the potential to be crowded and/or prone to bad weather.

I tend to agree - Usal may be a bit hard to find for some people and have the potential to be crowded and/or prone to bad weather.

I did not have a good experience at Usal Beach. I did a 4 day tour of the lost coast last July and ended up there on a Tuesday. It was more crowded than anywhere else I went. The people there were noisy, and there was evidence of human waste all over the campsites since there isn't a pit toilet nearby. I left and camped somewhere else. Such a shame as it's a beautiful spot.

I much preferred Mattole Beach, but that's pretty far (up near Ferndale/Eureka).

Depending on what's happening, I may be able to attend as well.

-steve

I'm up for any location in Nor Cal but will be rafting the Grand Canyon for all of June so unless it gets pushed to July I'm out. But have a great time and I hope I get a chance to check out the XP at some point. Looks like an impressive rig.

I will be on the North Coast between June 5th through 15th. Will mostly be around Mendocino but am game to check out Marc's new rig if the dates work out.

marc

Apparently TED can supply the food.... :)

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3224/page__pid__34949__st__0&#entry34949

And the beer!!! :)

An opportunity to check out an XP and an Outfitter! I would be very interested in that. I'll get my neighbor to throw in the Blue Moon for Marc. :D

Your are my best new friend!!!!

Bummer, I'll already be camping that weekend. If however, the location somehow winds up close to where I'll be I'd certainly stop by.

I did not have a good experience at Usal Beach. I did a 4 day tour of the lost coast last July and ended up there on a Tuesday. It was more crowded than anywhere else I went. The people there were noisy, and there was evidence of human waste all over the campsites since there isn't a pit toilet nearby. I left and camped somewhere else. Such a shame as it's a beautiful spot.

I much preferred Mattole Beach, but that's pretty far (up near Ferndale/Eureka).

Depending on what's happening, I may be able to attend as well.

-steve

I did not have a good experience at Usal Beach. I did a 4 day tour of the lost coast last July and ended up there on a Tuesday. It was more crowded than anywhere else I went. The people there were noisy, and there was evidence of human waste all over the campsites since there isn't a pit toilet nearby. I left and camped somewhere else. Such a shame as it's a beautiful spot

In case anybody wondered why I don't suggest camping spots here on the North Coast, That's the answer. This place isn't a combination trash can-porta pottie.

We would like to meet up with some of you folks at sometime, that's if you all could put up with a couple of adventuresome non-drinkers. But, we do sense you are a very tolerant group! Unfortunately this is a work/teaching weekend for the Lady and me.

While that weekend does work for us, we would be open to the following weekend instead if that meant more people could join us. Granted that is 4th of July weekend, but if we are boondocking somewhere crowds shouldn't be a problem and that gives those of us that get holidays a longer weekend. Either way, we're in.

Place to be determined and we are taking suggestions for a Norcal location.

Just remembered, we did boondock off of Henness Pass Road once, near Stampede Reservoir. Looking at Google Earth, I think it was near 39° 31’ 23” N, 120° 04’ 03” W. Not exactly remote since Stampede Dam Road is paved to Henness Pass Road. But there are a lot of roads out there to explore, several reservoirs for those that may want to fish, and an abandoned chrystal mine about nine miles of gravel road north of there where you can still find chystals in the tailings pile. There is a campground by the mine also Lookout Campground.

We would like to meet up with some of you folks at sometime, that's if you all could put up with a couple of adventuresome non-drinkers. But, we do sense you are a very tolerant group! Unfortunately this is a work/teaching weekend for the Lady and me.

We'd love to have you. We aren't as wild and crazy as we make out to be on the board :)

Back
Top Bottom