Yakima Boxes for the Four Wheel Campers

KMac

Folks, Which size and model Yakima box is the best/appropriate one to use for the Yakima setup on Four Wheel Campers. In particular, I have a Hawk on order with the Yak setup.
Thanks
Kevin in Boston

If you have solar on the roof be careful you don't cover it. That's what got me away from using a box on the roof and I went with an Aluminess rear bumper with storage box instead; a much more expensive approach, though.

yes I do have solar coming with it. Now I have something else to think about.

Agree with Stalking Light. I had similar issues with my ski box. In the end, I removed it so that the solar panel could function properly. Even a small amount of shadowing shuts down the panel output. Now looking at the rear Aluminess bumper as a solution as well

I carry a 13' kayak on the right side and have a Yakima Basketcase on the rear left side. Originally my FWC installed solar panel was centered on the roof between the Yakima tracks. I have reoriented my panels, I added a second, so they fit long side front to back on the roof and biased to the left side. This way my panels are always exposed when my kayak is loaded.

LookyLou said:
I carry a 13' kayak on the right side and have a Yakima Basketcase on the rear left side. Originally my FWC installed solar panel was centered on the roof between the Yakima tracks. I have reoriented my panels, I added a second, so they fit long side front to back on the roof and biased to the left side. This way my panels are always exposed when my kayak is loaded.
Do you have any photos of your solar install? I just picked up a 2014 Hawk and it is at the factory having the roof solar installed. Would like to use a Yakima Load Warrior to haul my duck hunting gear and keep that outside the camper.

I was told at the factory last month that they are now installing the panels on the tracks not directly on the roof. Don't know how this would impact reorienting the panels.

CamperCamper said:
Do you have any photos of your solar install? I just picked up a 2014 Hawk and it is at the factory having the roof solar installed. Would like to use a Yakima Load Warrior to haul my duck hunting gear and keep that outside the camper.
See if you can see this Dropbox link. Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

Important to realize that shading (caused by the box, tree, roof vent, etc) of a single cell will cause a consumer panel and any other panel(s) installed in the string of panels to drop proportionally and on some panels, to the level of the shaded cell.

If you plan to on rely upon solar charging, think hard and twice about installing a box on the roof with roof mounted solar panels. I own a Thule box, not for the camper, and it would be a bear to install and remove on a dialy basis to ensure direct, unobstructed sunlight to the solar panels. Further, I don't want to be relocating the truck's postiion (several times per day) to the solar axis to ensure unobstructed sunlight either.

Good ideas folks. I have decided to hold off on the roof box for now.

Back
Top Bottom