Yakima Tracks on FWC

camper rich

Just ordered Yakima Tracks installed on our new Granby and I was reading the literature that comes with the new Q-towers that attach to the rack. At the end of the yellow "READ ME FIRST" warning sheet there is a box enrtitled "SOME DO'S AND DONT'S" and the very last line under "DONT'S" says "Do not use your rack off road".

We have been using Yakima with gutter mount brackets on our old Shell Model for Baja trips going 20 years and they have been super tough, but the tracks and Q brackets are all new to us.

Has anyone experienced problems with their racks while off-roading, or is this just a way to cut their liability if one of their racks breaks?

My guess is it's a little of both. Someone probably had a heavy load and was driving fast on a really rough road, and broke something and/or it's a liability limiting preventative.

I've used my racks offroad albeit not with super heavy loads. That said, I expect it's mostly lawyer talk. If you read the fine print on almost every vehicle accessory I expect you'll find the same language.

I had Yakima clamp on roof rack brackets (mounted on the truck roof) destroy themselves after just a few thousand kilometres of severely corrugated tracks in Oz (Cairns to Cape York and back). I "fixed" them with wire and hose clamps and they lasted another 40,000km. However, to put that into perspective, the Hawk shell camper and BFG tires also suffered several similar issues on that section of track.

OutbacKamper said:
I had Yakima clamp on roof rack brackets (mounted on the truck roof) destroy themselves after just a few thousand kilometres of severely corrugated tracks in Oz (Cairns to Cape York and back). I "fixed" them with wire and hose clamps and they lasted another 40,000km. However, to put that into perspective, the Hawk shell camper and BFG tires also suffered several similar issues on that section of track.
Are the clamp on roof brackets the ones that use the tracks or are they the rain gutter type brackets that are used with the top loader or side loader brackets?

These brackets were similar to a rain gutter bracket, but actually just clamped to the edge of my truck roof (it does not have rain gutters). Something like this:
qtowers-1_2.jpg

Thanks for your reply and photo OutbacKamper. I have those brackets for my Yakima Wind Fairing and agree they are not the best. I'm hoping the track setup will be better.

camper rich said:
Just ordered Yakima Tracks installed on our new Granby and I was reading the literature that comes with the new Q-towers that attach to the rack. At the end of the yellow "READ ME FIRST" warning sheet there is a box enrtitled "SOME DO'S AND DONT'S" and the very last line under "DONT'S" says "Do not use your rack off road".
Feels the same as when you read the fine print on your new 4X4 and it says 'not for off-road use' or when your pickup truck says 'not for use with camper'.

Ive been using Yakima racks for years now and have never had a problem. I am not doing any major off roading but noneless I have loaded the crap out of them and never had a problem.

They will be mounted on both our Grandby with a sea kayak on top and our Ruger Trailer with a sea kayak and 2 mountain bikes on it. It will definitly be getting a workout as we will be exploring a lot of places we've never been before.

camper rich said:
They will be mounted on both our Grandby with a sea kayak on top and our Ruger Trailer with a sea kayak and 2 mountain bikes on it. It will definitly be getting a workout as we will be exploring a lot of places we've never been before.

Kind of off topic...but how did you mount the sea kayaks on the Ruger Trailer? Which model trailer and what options?

Thanks...Phil

I used the Yakima Q Towers and fairing.Worked great. I have an extra bar, two Q Towers, and locks. All of its new. The only thing you would have to buy is the fairing and a set of Q clips. I will let them go for $150.00. Give me a call if your interested. Bill (719)659-6144.

Back
Top Bottom