Yamaha Generator Owners or Former Owners...

RonSchon

Bailmatic
I'm getting ready to buy a 2kw porta gen. Obviously the Honda is a very popular choice.

I've read and heard hundreds of comments regarding the Honda. I'm really looking for some hands on opinions of the Yamaha 2kw.

Problems, Praise, whatever it may be.

Bob! er ugh....DeltaRat carries one. Get him to 'fess up!

I carry a 1 KW not a 2 KW...It only has about 4~5 hours run time on it....nothing to complain about in that time. I bought it because it's very light, quieter, and was less expensive than a Honda.

I have both the Honda EU2000i and the Yamaha EF2400is. They both are great generators, but are really pretty different.

The Yamaha is about twice the size and weight of the Honda, doesn't get as good fuel economy, and has no provision for manually selecting full throttle. It is auto only. It is 2000W continuous, 2400 peak, and has a 3000 surge for starting heavy loads. It is also $200 - $400 more expensive than the Honda. I haven't checked prices recently.

The Honda is smaller and lighter and gets great fuel economy. With a small load mine runs 14+ hours on a gallon of gas. You have a provision for selecting full throttle for starting heavy loads. It is either 1600 or 1800W continuous, 2000 peak.

I like them both, but unless you have some compelling reason for needing the higher output, I would suggest the Honda. I bought the Yamaha to use with one of my RVs that has A/C. I am considering buying a Honda EU1000i, just because even the 2000 is overkill for most things I do. Add up the typical loads you intend to run and buy accordingly. You may find that the Yamaha is serious overkill. If you're a "lite" camper, even the Honda 2000 may be overkill.

JP

Back
Top Bottom