Yellowstone campgrounds/ wildlife viewing

Durango1

So Sioux and I are two weeks and over 3,000 miles into our 40th anniversary road trip. And your suggestions have been very useful. (Thanks especially to Foy!)

So we are shamefully regrouping in a Homewood Suites right now in Bozeman before heading south Monday to Yellowstone NP. If we get there midday will I need campsite reservations?

And any ideas on wildlife viewing for my nature addicted wife would be much appreciated. (Birds, bears, wolves, etc.) We'll have two full days for Yellowstone.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hayden Valley (between Canyon and Fishing Bridge) is one of my favorites for wildlife. But I've never found a bad place in the park.

Check the road construction schedule - I think the road from Old Faithful to West Thumb is still closed, so a little harder to get around.

You won't have any trouble filling 2 days in Yellowstone.

We were there last year in the third week of June. Campgrounds filled up quickly but you can call and make a reservation for the same night which I recommend.

For nature viewing I recommend the Lamar Valley in the NE corner of the park. We saw bison everywhere but there we also saw black bears, grizzly bears, a moose, pronghorn, osprey and wolves. Keep you camera ready and your eyes peeled and don't forget the trip report.

Alan

x3 on the Lamar Valley.
There are a couple of campgrounds in that section of the park and I believe they are pretty small (10-15 spots?) and of course don't have any hook ups but the views are spectacular. I don't know if it's too early to fish but there is a great hike off one of the campgrounds that goes back about 5 miles into the back woods to a beautiful lake and stream that is (was) full of fish!

Beartooth highway if your coming in the northeast entrance, pebble creek campground. Stayed at Island in sun [ i think ] N.P. Nice lake to hike around. Have fun. Mitch

No shame in the regrouping. On long trips we get a hotel every now and then to do laundry, take a nice long shower, and eat a meal we don't have to cook or clean up after. I highly recommend a reservation for Yellowstone. The two campgrounds in Lamar Valley are our favorite as well, but they are first come, first served. YTo get into one of these you need to show up between 6:30 and 7:00 AM. For the latest on what animals are being seen where, check out the YNET forum. This is a forum of Yellowstone enthusiasts.

We just got home about 2 hrs ago and Yellowstone is amazing. I can't tell you specifically where the animals are but as you drive around you'll see a lot of them (watch for stopped cars). Great time to be there as it's less crowded; the downside is that many of the campgrounds are still closed. Also, the southern part of the park is closed due to road construction (the thumb) but check when you get there. Also, if you plan on going to the Tetons, they now charge a separate entrance fee starting June 1.

We also just returned from Yellowstone yesterday after 2 weeks there.
The people were starting to show up last Friday in large numbers.
We always start out camp there with a reservation at Madison than move into the back campgrounds.
This time we were to early to get into Indian,.Slough,Pebble camps,as they are still closed.
Pebble has been renewed somewhat,new paved road and pads.
Looks real nice.
Norris is a nice place they didn't fill until afternoon also Canyon is good but lots of big rigs.
Although it was nice and quiet.It's a place to sleep and we go for the animals and fish.
Lots of animals mainly in Lamar Valley(the best place to watch).
Trip report coming.
Frank

PS remember Gros Ventre campground is a good place to start in the Tetons.
We have stayed there on several trips.
Quiet and lots of spaces.
Moose in camp,so nice.

There is excellent uncrowded camping and wildlife viewing to be had just outside of the park too if the campgrounds in the park are full.

WyoIDI said:
There is excellent uncrowded camping and wildlife viewing to be had just outside of the park too if the campgrounds in the park are full.
Could you give some of the areas.I would be interested in some other camp spots outside the park.
Thanks
Frank

Take the bear advice very seriously in all areas around Yellowstone. Not dumping food smelling things outside, etc, keeping all food related things out of sight and not sitting out available. If cooking or eating outside, dont leave things out when not actually using them.

Great place, great area around the Park. Dont let them freak you out, but take the bears very seriously.

Food storage for bears is a concern in the park and outside the park. Just keep a tidy camp and use bear boxes if available. I've never had an issue. As far as areas to camp around the park, Cooke city area and the nearby sunlight basin are beautiful, lots of national forest opportunities and some campgrounds. The North fork of the Shoshone river has numerous campgrounds too, not to mention excellent fishing. I don't have a lot of experience west of the park, and going south you're still within Grand Teton Park (which is more scenic imho). I'd suggest touring through the park during the day and escaping the circus and finding some peace and quiet to camp in at night. More driving, but less hassle. I may be a little jaded living next to yellowstone, but there is a lot to see and do outside the park too. Either way have fun.

WyoIDI said:
Food storage for bears is a concern in the park and outside the park. Just keep a tidy camp and use bear boxes if available. I've never had an issue. As far as areas to camp around the park, Cooke city area and the nearby sunlight basin are beautiful, lots of national forest opportunities and some campgrounds. The North fork of the Shoshone river has numerous campgrounds too, not to mention excellent fishing. I don't have a lot of experience west of the park, and going south you're still within Grand Teton Park (which is more scenic imho). I'd suggest touring through the park during the day and escaping the circus and finding some peace and quiet to camp in at night. More driving, but less hassle. I may be a little jaded living next to yellowstone, but there is a lot to see and do outside the park too. Either way have fun.
Thanks for the info.We have visited the park 11 times in the past 13 years.
It is one of our favorite places.We usually don't have any problem with finding spots in the park,but it's nice to know about other areas.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom