Yellowstone next summer?

CALIcamperdad

Wife just told me to plan a camping trip to see Yellowstone. Kids will be 5 and 8. Our camp setup ideally works best with a few days in one spot. But a inbetween in transit over night road stop can be done, just not ideal given our setup and breakdown down with the tent trailer. Departure location would be BayArea.

We have family in Eastern Washington also.

Hmmm need to think about route ideas vs cool things to see and do.

Ideas welcome.
I have never been my self.

You can make reservations 6 months in advance. Summers are packed. We stayed at Madison Campground. They have numerous ranger programs. There is so much to see, wildlife, Old Faithful, other thermal areas, great hiking, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, water falls, have lunch at lodge next to Old Faithful. Check to see if the other campgrounds have ranger programs. For your children the Ranger programs will be a highlight. Have fun.
Go to the National Park home Web site and you can access Yellowstone and find out about everything you will need to know. Stop at the visitor center when you arrive. You can get questions answered there.
jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

CALIcamperdad said:
Wife just told me to plan a camping trip to see Yellowstone. Kids will be 5 and 8. Our camp setup ideally works best with a few days in one spot. But a inbetween in transit over night road stop can be done, just not ideal given our setup and breakdown down with the tent trailer. Departure location would be BayArea.

We have family in Eastern Washington also.

Hmmm need to think about route ideas vs cool things to see and do.

Ideas welcome.
I have never been my self.
On most of our trips to Yellowstone we drive,from the Monterey area two nights. Three driving days.
Travel over Carson Pass 88 then first night is Fernley,Nv. Then usually Twin Falls Id. From there there are two choices.( these are motel stops as there aren't many camping options for us on the route to Yellowstone). There is a nice NF campground out side of Wells but depending on time of year hunters like to use the site.
1. go through Jackson/Teton area and stay at Gros Ventre CG. First come sites but always space.
Then head up to the park and stay at what ever campground you want. Preferred one you make a reservation for.
We use Madison or Canyon. Really like Madison.
2.From Twin Falls head to West Yellowstone and Madison CG.
Once you are in the park you can watch when the first come campgrounds fill for the day.They usually post that info at the
campground "office" you are camped at.
We have had luck with this way of getting spots while camped at Madison and Indian Creek CG.

One of the advantages of the Jackson/Teton route is that with a reservation say at Madison,if you plan a couple/three nights at
Gros Ventre campground, if you have travel problems it gives you some leeway so you won't lose your reservation in the park.

What time of year do you plan on going?
We always go fall/spring. Less people more chances of getting nice camp spots.
Reserving at Madison has not been a problem in the past for us.Even same/next day reservations have worked.

On your return trip you could head north along the Madison river toward Lolo pass and west on US12 into eastern Washington.
Have fun planning.
Frank

What is your time period? Remember the eclipse event on August 21 - the locals in Jackson, WY are figuring that we will see up to an additional 40 - 50,000 people on top of the usual tourists for this event. Before or after would be a bit less crowded. There is dispersed camping up Pacific Creek between the Moran entrance to GTNP and the south entrance of Yellowstone. If you can find a good site, it works well for getting around both parks.

As you will find out the main road(s) in Yellowstone is basically a figure 8.
When we've gone with the kids we would camp in one of the campgrounds in the "lower part of the eight" and use that as a basecamp to see all the things we wanted to see there then move up to the upper half of the eight and spend a few days exploring that area.
Seemed to work well for us.

Also I'll second the junior ranger programs. The kids talked about them for years afterwards!

Wow great info. So far its looking like late June best guess at the moment. Tetons for sure!

We enjoy doing the ranger programs with the kids. Both as if this summer have National Park Jr Ranger badges. The swearing in at Redwood National park was a huge hit with the kids.

I'll dig into Madison campground thank you!!! I had no idea where to start.

CAL, Frank mentioned Gros Ventre CG in Grand Teton NP. We stayed there in late September. When you dial in your trip I'm sure Frank will add special places, and we would be happy to do the same. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Quick update. I have our Madison Campground spot reserved. My neighbor visits Family up near Salt Lake several times a yr. The plan is two day drive. 10hrs to Twin Falls. Then about 4-5hrs to Madison. We cruise around 70mph easily in our camping mode setup.

Next is researching stuff to see and do.

Almost forgot... The online reservation system takes second seat to the phone reservations. So call them to get a site.

Back
Top Bottom