Yep, it's summer

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Mark, 'The Weatherman' is supposed to know better than to mess with the weather...
I usually ignore superstitions...but that doesn't guarantee that superstitions ignore me.
;)

MarkBC said:
<snip>

You know how they say "wash your car and it will rain". Well, I just received a new tent, and I set it up on the deck to check it out, set it up without the fly. Then I headed for the grocery store. That started the rain.
Ahhhh..................stay tuned for our version of a similar event.................................... :)

ski3pin said:
Ahhhh..................stay tuned for our version of a similar event.................................... :)
Dampness in a trip report, perhaps?
:)

Friends have been working as fire looks outs at both Buck Rock and Delilah in the southern Sierras. It's been eventful thus far this summer. They experienced their first direct lightning strike while in Buck Rock tower along with the raging storm. I just received this note -

[SIZE=12pt]"We though you would enjoy seeing this video of a portion of the Rough Fire....This would be visible to the northeast of the Delilah Fire Lookout tower across the Kings River watershed, about 10-12 miles from the tower. We were given a heads up late last night that temporary repeaters were placed at the base of our lookout for the Sierra National Forest"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Video[/SIZE]

ski3pin said:
Friends have been working as fire looks outs at both Buck Rock and Delilah in the southern Sierras. It been eventful thus far this summer. They experienced their first direct lightning strike while in Buck Rock tower along with the raging storm. I just received this note -

[SIZE=12pt]"We though you would enjoy seeing this video of a portion of the Rough Fire....This would be visible to the northeast of the Delilah Fire Lookout tower across the Kings River watershed, about 10-12 miles from the tower. We were given a heads up late last night that temporary repeaters were placed at the base of our lookout for the Sierra National Forest"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Video[/SIZE]
Ski, Pretty neat stuff, Years ago I got to watch a DC10 drop retardant on a lightening strike near my cousins ranch in Montana. 2 women fire fighters parachuted in first to direct the plane. 2 trips and the fire was out. jd

Directed? We just assumed they aimed for bright yellow nomex on the fire line. Pretty slippery stuff before it dries.

Late summer is here - the new "normal". We could not see the column from the Butte Fire yesterday. It was so prominent Wednesday evening. We are now under it, like a dark summer thunderstorm but gray and brown and red. It settled last night so this morning we live in a gray smoky haze. And the ritual begins - the roof is cleared of any forest litter and the gutters are meticulously kept clean. It is almost a daily chore now that the Ponderosa Pine annual needle drop has begun and the dry cedar seeds are everywhere - 6 weeks ahead of the usual schedule. The new "normal"?

Ski3pins- glad to see your post. I have been worried about you, not knowing exactly where you lived. In Twain Harte we are under a golden glow all day and the ashfall is like a very, very light snowfall. This Butte fire is a monster. Stay safe.

Sure is. I'm just blown away at the rate of spread. I thought they had it 160 acres. Just imagine what would happen if the wind blew.

craig333 said:
.................................. Just imagine what would happen if the wind blew.
I was just having this conversation with a friend. The smoke has spread and is so dense there has been no air operations until a few minutes ago due to visibility. This is a dangerous fire in a well populated rural area. Fingers crossed.

As my flight from Kona was on its final approach to land at SFO about an hour ago, the cockpit announced: "The Captain is aware that some of you are smelling smoke. That's from forest fires outside the the plane -- no problem on the plane."
:unsure:

ski3pin said:
I was just having this conversation with a friend. The smoke has spread and is so dense there has been no air operations until a few minutes ago due to visibility. This is a dangerous fire in a well populated rural area. Fingers crossed.
Heavy smoke this morning in Nevada City. It's our annual fundraiser Duck Race for our rotary club too. I don't fancy working hard in the smoke and I'm sure our attendance will be down. Minor inconveniences compared to the devastation and loss by so many.

86 structures so far and thats bound to climb as they are able to get in and do a more thorough assessment. Only a very light smoke smell here in Sac.

The overnight low was about 35°F in Bend. Maybe we won't have summer to kick around for much longer -- up here in the Oregon arctic, anyway.

MarkBC said:
The overnight low was about 35°F in Bend. Maybe we won't have summer to kick around for much longer -- up here in the Oregon arctic, anyway.
I'm thinking because of your recent trip, Oregon might be feeling a lot colder than usual to you. :)

ski3pin said:
I'm thinking because of your recent trip, Oregon might be feeling a lot colder than usual to you. :)
Maybe so. I have confirmed that cold-and-dry is my ideal climate.
;)

ski3pin said:
We have friends from NC who live in the Bay area but have a weekend place in/near West Point. They've been on pins and needles over the Butte fire, but I can't tell which group of fires the Butte is within the InciWeb California listings.

Regardless of that, that's a tough way to live. I guess perpetually high humidity, hurricanes, and the odd tornado can be a fair trade for wildfire and earthquake hazards. Best of luck to everyone affected or threatened.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom