Yet another refigerator topic

I bought my Hawk used ... so it already had the 3 Way. I can see that it is a little temperamental. This said I would like the no nonsense functionality of compressor fridge. But it seems to get a little bit crazy with all the extra doo dads (extra battery, controller, solar panel). I do have a generator already. Can anyone tell me how long it should take to top off one battery with the genny at night? Lets say during the summer months when the furnace is not required.

Also I do not have the luxury of desert camping where there is constant sun. Lots of shade, over cast, in my neck of the woods.

I really do not seem to use that much battery as I am usually outside most of the time. It seems I can stay in place for about 5 days with out topping off the battery currently and showering everyday. I think the water will run out before the battery.

Thoughts

The short answer is how you use the generator to charge your batteries. If you're using the built in DC system a lot of the newer generators have it thaks a looong time because the DC system puts out low amps. If you are running the generator to an AC/DC charger, like a run of the mill car charger, it goes faster.

My Grandby is old enough it does not have the IOTA or Shurpower built in charger/inverter to know how that would do time wise to charge if plugged in to the generator. If you have only a converter it's another looong time proposition.

If you go to the GENERATORS paragraph on this link he has some insight:
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/

If you go to the next to last paragraph on this link embedded within it is a formula to calculate approximate run time based on your system specs:
http://www.oasismontana.com/generator-features.html

Hey Hittheroad, what model Engel do you have??

Hittheroad said:
We have an Engel and about 80 watts of PV panel and 100 amp hours battery. ...
For 5 weeks we were 100% dependent on solar to keep the Engel going.

Back
Top Bottom