Status
Not open for further replies.
Depressing isn't the word I would use for it but the words I would choose would take things beyond PG in a hurry.

Well guys, it's not going to get any better-they didn't properly fund the wild horse program (probably on purpose, since it competes with cattle and sheep grazing). Now this gives them an excuse to kill off or slaughter all the horses (as they are proposing now). Yep, I know there are to many horses out there and if they would properly fund the programs that work it might help to fix problem----but they are doing it so they can increase the number of cattle and sheep out there. Manage for the few I guess-gotta make that buck, get rid of the public input and all those environmental reg's, then abuse our public land-maybe sell it off to the highest bidder or increase the user fees so only the rich can enjoy them.

Sorry, on another tirade, but after all these years of trying to learn how to manage the land right, and just when we were sort of getting the hang of it-this bunch comes in and turns the world up side down! Wild horse Annie where are you when we need you!

Write those letters and send those emails!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Well guys, it's not going to get any better-they didn't properly fund the wild horse program (probably on purpose, since it competes with cattle and sheep grazing). Now this gives them an excuse to kill off or slaughter all the horses (as they are proposing now). Yep, I know there are to many horses out there and if they would properly fund the programs that work it might help to fix problem----but they are doing it so they can increase the number of cattle and sheep out there. Manage for the few I guess-gotta make that buck, get rid of the public input and all those environmental reg's, then abuse our public land-maybe sell it off to the highest bidder or increase the user fees so only the rich can enjoy them.

Sorry, on another tirade, but after all these years of trying to learn how to manage the land right, and just when we were sort of getting the hang of it-this bunch comes in and turns the world up side down! Wild horse Annie where are you when we need you!

Write those letters and send those emails!

Smoke
I have no idea how many wild horses populate the plains...

Between 1988-1995 American Airlines flew from RDU (Raleigh-Durham) to Paris-Orly nightly. Every night a Boeing 767-200 carried 20,000# of horse meat to Paris. The Feds built a windowless freezer building near the southwest end of Runway 5L/23R for the sole purpose of storing 500,000# of horse meat for future shipping.

I do not know which airline currently holds the BLM horse meat contract for transport to the EU today, but, it continues to be big business for the Fed regardless of political affiliation and/or administration.

One of those ugly little international trade/business deals that has flown under the radar for decades.

Advmoto18 said:
I have no idea how many wild horses populate the plains...

Between 1988-1995 American Airlines flew from RDU (Raleigh-Durham) to Paris-Orly nightly. Every night a Boeing 767-200 carried 20,000# of horse meat to Paris. The Feds built a windowless freezer building near the southwest end of Runway 5L/23R for the sole purpose of storing 500,000# of horse meat for future shipping.

I do not know which airline currently holds the BLM horse meat contract for transport to the EU today, but, it continues to be big business for the Fed regardless of political affiliation and/or administration.

One of those ugly little international trade/business deals that has flown under the radar for decades.
This implies that like the cattle rancher vs. the shepherd grazing disputes of years ago, there is a federal horse rancher vs private cattle/sheep rancher grazing dispute today. Can't imagine who might have the upper hand there, even though the horse & burro may be considered invasive species.

A bright light should send the cockroaches scattering if such a light could be found. ;)

Paul

Tomas Tierra said:
Fwiw,
15 of the 27 monuments being discussed were dedicated between '08 and '16. Seems disproportionate.
It seems to very disproportionate, I wonder why... Also interesting that Zinke is proposing a new monument (Two Medicine Country) in Montana, his home state. I wonder if there are some aspirations for a statewide office...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
It seems to very disproportionate, I wonder why... Also interesting that Zinke is proposing a new monument (Two Medicine Country) in Montana, his home state. I wonder if there are some aspirations for a statewide office...
Not getting "political",but it seems that everything #44 did #45 is undoing.
Just a thought.
But there are still the courts and all the groups to fight the madness.
Frank

The Antiquities Act of 1906 is short and (mostly) in plain language. Ask yourself how appropriately it has been used over the last 111 years.
It basically tags lands already owned by the federal government as containing objects of scientific or historic importance .
The CEO says hold off doing something with this part of federal lands until Congress acts to do something different with this land if desired.
https://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/anti1906.htm

Creating National Parks requires acts of Congress for each park. Eminent domain could be applied here to purchase private property to make a contiguous park.
https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/history.htm

I'm not saying it isn't important to designate these monuments as national parks. My objection is that the U.S. Constitution and laws are not being followed. The Antiquities Act of 1906 is the wrong tool. Rescinding one executive order with another is legitimate but it does not dispose of public lands.

[rant off]
Paul

I don't see an issue with how the antiquities act has been used. I have spent some time in both Bears Ears and GSENM, and both these areas are riddled with archaeological and ecologically significance - Bears Ears contains more than 100,000 known cultural and archaeological sites. You will also notice that the very straightforward language of the antiquities act does not give the president any powers to rescind a national monument - this is certainly going to end up in court and will likely be overturned, in the meantime wasting a huge amount of money that could have been used for conservation.

Not sure how this is gonna go down... but legally if it is not termed as a "rescind"...that is keeping a square inch as "Bear's Ears" it is just an 'alteration' to it... a way around it like tearing a house down but leaving one wall so the zoning board 'sees' it as a renovation.
It is still done. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins for a good reason.

The antiquities act also doesn't authorize the president to modify an existing national monument either. There have been minor (and one major) modifications to national monuments in the past, but this has never been tested in court. I am sure we are about to find out how this will hold up under the scrutiny of the law.

We can only hope..... and hope that the judicial system follows the LAW not the political pressure. Our system is not perfect but I believe in it. It is frail though. I am worried we are losing so much more on all fronts. That said there is hope......

There's not nice way to say this:

It's a GOP land grab that is taking away public land and turning it into private land sold for pennies on the dollar.
I know WTW doesn't like politics, but when ONE PARTY continues to attack our public lands, it would be foolish to ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom