Your opinion on 4X2?

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
First off I need to change my screen name.

Anyway, the gas mileage on the 4X4 4.0 V6 was killing me. 14 city 18 hwy. May as well had a full size!!!

I traded for an 04 Ranger XLT, real cream puff with 17K miles. It is standard cab, short box, 3.0 V6 and 5 sp auto in 4X2. It is getting 19-20 city. :D Haven't had it on the hwy yet for any length.

My plans for it are a 2" lift and a LS 410 rear gear. And eventually a FWC!!!!

My biggest concerns are no 4X4 and no low range. I'm sure it would do OK on hard ground but if it turned to rain or snow I could get into trouble.

So as I flip back and forth on this I sure could use some outside input. Thanks. :)

For me its a no brainer. I will, whether I intend to or not, get myself into situations that require four wheel drive. More than once I've walked long distances when I was merely slightly stuck. I've had a few situations where I've backed into a ditch or something and 4x4 has saved me a lot of struggle getting extricated.

Of course its also true that four wheel drive can turn slightly stuck into "I need a tractor to get me out" too. If you can avoid the temptation to do things you know you really shouldn't do then four wheel drive can be a big help.

I wouldn't have done the Usal road if my truck was 4x2. Probably would have made it but having 4x4 gave me the extra comfort level to run it.

Otoh, I pay for 4x4 in mileage and parts, handling etc.

2 wheel drive works for me

I just got back from a 10 day trip and I averaged 28-29 mpg on my set up. It is a 98' 2.5L 4x2 Ranger pulling a Ranger 2 that I stripped out. All I did was install a pair of Rancho shocks in the rear. It struggles up hill, but the mileage is good for the wallet. The clearance is fine for the stuff I do, but lifting it a little would help. I carry chains and have never got stuck. It really depends on what road conditions you travel on. Isnt the Baja 1000 raced with 4x2? -Skeeter

My truck is a full size 2 wheel drive. I have owned a similar truck with 4 wheel drive. It got 11 to 12 mpg in that truck. The 2 wheel drive truck gets better than 20 mpg with a Keystone FWC.

I carry chains with me. I got stuck once last year. I was lead in a 10 truck off road expedition. All trucks had 4 wheel drive except mine. Everyone assumed I had 4 wheel drive and I accidentally was put in lead position when going into the only real 4 wheel drive section of the whole trip. Of course, I got stuck. However, it was easy to pull me out. Not a single one of the guys with 4 wheel drive attempted to go through the section where I got stuck because they were afraid they would get stuck too.

When we came out of the area, everyone went around the bad place, including me without problems. If I not been in the lead in the first place, I could have observed other trucks going through the bad spot. Then I would have had the option of taking the best route and I would not have gotten stuck.

So, yes. A 2 wheel drive truck is just fine for off road. Get snow or mud tires and carry chains. With those additions, you will be better in most situations than your average 4 wheel drive truck.

If your truck has a low range first gear, you will be in great shape for off road. Unfortunately, my truck has a 3.08 diff with a manual transmission not intended for off road use. The gearing on my truck is my weakest feature. John D

I'm like Graig, eventually I need 4x4, so I'm more comfortable with it. However, 04, I think you'll be fine with that setup, especially when you add the weight of a camper over the drive wheels. Deeper gears and bigger tires will affect your mileage though. Instead of limited slip, you might want to look into an ARB air locker.

Depends on your needs, to state the obvious

I have a 4x4 XLT Ranger with the 4.0 engine. 17 mpg with a loaded Eagle on it driving lower speed highways. It's more like 15 mpg in 4WD on forest service roads

I bought the truck before I discovered FWCs. I needed the 4X4 to make my winter commute easier (can get by without chains most of the time) and to get up a very narrow 4WD-only road to some mountain property I own. If I just had the truck for camping on roads that needed high clearance only, I'd be seriously thinking about going 4X2. Also, the Ranger is not my daily driver, and that makes a big difference. My daily driver gets 55 mpg year-round average (yes it's a hybrid), so I figure I'm still ahead, even when I have to fill up the Ranger more than I'd like.

John D is right. If you aren't rock crawling or taking expedition style trips, a properly outfitted 2WD is just fine 95% of the time. And in many cases, better than a comparable 4x4. I'm not saying that it's a "replacement" for a legit 4wd, but 2WD has its advantages. Better gas mileage, less parts to break, lighter weight, and better front end clearance.

My first Tacoma (that I bought back in 95) was a 2 wheel drive and ended up with 31" tires, 4:11 gearset, a powertrax limited slip, a sprung over rear end and front coilovers, and a bag of tire chains in the back "just in case." It never left me stuck anywhere, even in whiteout conditions in the Sierra at 8K+ feet. You really do have to drive a little differently than with a 4x4, but you get used to it.

4X4 vs 4X2

04 FX4,

We've driven a LOT of snow and have never seen a maintained road we couldn't do with 2WD and chains.

We have seen a lot of back roads we could do with 4WD and chains that we couldn't do with 2WD unless we winched up/down. (We've only had the enthusiasm to actually chain up all 4 and get after it about a half dozen times in 40 years though.)

Both our rigs are 4WD but mostly for convenience since our driveway is on a 14% grade and we can get over a foot of snow on some nights.

Nearly all our experience is mountain and/or snow...not much desert/sand. This past winter there were four spots in the southwest (desert/sand) we wouldn't have tried with 2WD that we went since we had 4WD and three of them turned out to be three of our four favorite camps. The fourth spot we chickened out even with 4WD. We might have tried them in 2WD with a winch and good extraction gear but we're gettin' old and lazy and digging and fussing about after dark isn't fun any more.

We've thought hard about 2WD but until gas gets to $5/gal or so for two years running in AZ (bite my tongue) we probably won't change our evil ways.

It's all in what you want and are willing to tolerate.

Happy Trails!
'birds

I like playing in the sand so 4WD is often necessary just to get to base camp.
The extra ground clearance provided by 4x4 trucks is equally if not more important than traction. I've been in many situations with good traction where I would have been high centered in a 2WD truck.

Dick

This is an interesting thread! I have an '06 Dodge CTD 4X2 that I bought new. It's a great truck. I didn't opt for 4WD because at that time I didn't see the need. I already had 3 4WD vehicles that got around fine in the snow up here. I hadn't thought of using my camper to get to remote places. I really don't want to sell the truck as it's nicely set up now, and I know the history. I"ve been debating whether I should add another similar used 4x4 Dodge (preferably 1ton SRW) mainly for camper duty. The last thing I need is another vehicle (I have too many as it is!). I mainly will be going to remote lakes a rivers nearby on forest service roads. 2WD may be ok for that. Of course I probably couldn't join you folks in death valley or the alpine loop. Decisions. Decisions...

-steve

I drive a 05 tundra 4x4. Had a new off the lot 95 tacoma 4x4 before that. Most stuff I can do in 2wd. 4x4 has saved my butt more than once.

4wd low is handy for rough southern utah roads. Good on sand too.

I went past Hans Flat ranger station partway to Cleopatra's Chair this weekend. 2wd the whole way. Dry and sandy conditions, no problems at all. Aired down 10 psi to 30 front/35 rear. I think the camper weight helps keep the rear wheels from spinning as well.

Now if it had rained.... No 4wd could mean a longer stay, like it or not.

So its the 5% of the time when you really need it that you need to consider.

For me, there are enough dirt, rock and snow situations I am in it is a no brainer.

As others have said, there are ways to manage some of the limits. Good judgement being the most important.

S

I've been stuck so many times that I'd never consider not having 4wd. His original post said something like 14/18 mpg, and now he's getting 19/20 in "around town" driving. If 4x4 costs you 5mpg, while being significant, it's not prohibitive... I think the number that needs to be added to the equation is how many times in the last 12 months did you put the truck in 4wd? And I guess to further qualify that - did you need to? If you really needed to put in 4x4 more than 3 times, the answer is a no-brainer. If the answer is less, then perhaps worth thinking about.

In 12 months I'm probably in 4x4 mode where I have to be in 4x4 mode at least 20 times. The mileage is part of the cost of that.

As I think about it, there is several different numbers that need to be in the equation. Just looking at MPG is short sighted. To do that you are give zero value to the ability.

I'm with Ron, would never consider going back to 2wd in this winter environment. One point that hasn't been mentioned is the difference between cruising through slightly tough road sections in 4wd versus beating up the road in 2wd leaving a worse road for the next driver or for you the next time you're on that section.

It also depends on the type of person you are. If you came around a corner on a dirt road and ran into a snow drift or a decent mud hole would you be content to turn around or try to push on ?

I wouldn't LIVE in the Central Rockies and own a truck without it. It's saved my butt too many times.

That said...we often marvel at the great glitch in the machinery known as "4-wheel drive overconfidence"....often mixed with a healthy dosed of "Tourist mentality"...that lands quite a few tourons upside down in the ditch with all of their rental skis flying overhead. IDIOTS ARE IDIOTS...4-wheel drive or not!
Jus' cus it has 4WD doesbn't mean you can drive 90 on the ice on the way to the ski mountain...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dunno about other places...but out here they have signs that designate the road to be "4WD". You can go in there and up those roads in in 2 wheel drive...no problem...

just don't expect anyone to help get your ass out when ya get stuck... (unless you have beer or drugs...and then you have a solid excuse for going into the forest so very unprepared in the first place!!!)

On the mileage issue...a few MPG isn't gonna make it or break it here...and certainly isn't enough to lend any thought whatsoever to jettisoning the 4WD.

YMMV, obviously....

mtn

I'd never opt for a truck without 4WD unless I was sure I wanted to stay on well-maintained roads 100% of the time. 2mpg is a rounding error in your life's experiences. I'm personally happy to part with the extra scratch to be able to go more places, more safely and confidently. Plus it snows here a lot. But for someone that doesn't really venture off the pavement, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom