Your Vehicles Back-up Camera

Bombsight

What do you guys do with your back-up camera wiring when your tail gate is removed?

Disengage it totally?

Anyone fabbed a bracket of some sort so it can still be used?

If it cant be used, how do you deal with the wiring once tail gate is removed?

I love my backup camera system.

I remove the tail gate and the tail gate back up camera just by unplugging it.

Then I purchased one that clips directly into the same outlets from my factory camera.
It is affixed to the camper and works even better than the factory camera.
See the pictures below.

When the camper comes off it's easy to reverse the process.

full

full

full

full

By the way, Bombsight, welcome to Wander the West. You've asked some great questions and been a great addition to our forums.

I just unplug the tailgate camera and plug in the one for my Outfitter as soon as it's on the truck.

Purchased mine from Camera Source.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 107
Thanks everyone. I should have done a search but I was at work and had too short of a break. Nice to know the cameras aren't going to waste.

Special thanks to DRJ.
I'm trying to be of some value since I'm not an FWC owner yet. I soon will be & I really appreciate all of the feedback meanwhile ... until I build my dream rig.

I too have gotten spoiled by the factory back-up camera in my new truck and decided it was a feature I wanted to keep when I had my new camper on. I've been slowly assembling the factory pieces (camera and 2 harness) off of ebay. The folks at Hallmark said this was a pretty common request and have a bracket/mount planned for it. I figure I'll have about $150 into it when I'm done and the first time I DON"T back over something it will have paid for itself :)

I have a Grandby in a 6.5' bed and travel with the tailgate down. I have a camera mounted In a license plate frame that plugs into my factory harness.

If you have a 2nd gen Tundra with factory rearview camera, there is a plastic bag with cable covers in the glovebox. Be sure to use them after removing your tailgate to protect both the now exposed truck and camera connectors from dirt, water, insect nests and corrosion.

Maybe Tacoma has the same package of connector covers.

Paul

I love my backup camera system.

I remove the tail gate and the tail gate back up camera just by unplugging it.

Then I purchased one that clips directly into the same outlets from my factory camera.
It is affixed to the camper and works even better than the factory camera.
See the pictures below.

Dr J,
Where can I find that mounting bracket?

Chris

Adding to Paul's comments.
After mounting the camper we removed the cable and camera from the tailgate., plugged the cable back into the connector behind the bumper, fabricated an "L" mount under the camper for the camera and wire tied everything up. Camera works well in that location.

If you do this save all the screws and brackets for reinstall when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom