Beep it seems like just yesterday

Yep everything has a life.
That one you posted looks like a nice replacement.

I have always wondered that does the lifetime count from when it's new
or the amount of time the power is on and in use?
Thanks
Frank

Thats a good question. I'd hate to buy one thats been sitting on the shelf a few years if it works from when new.

craig333 said:
Thats a good question. I'd hate to buy one thats been sitting on the shelf a few years if it works from when new.
Nope, should be an irreplaceable prong you insert into the back side that activates it. That’s how our home CO detector worked anyway.

New ones just showed up. Replace after 60 months. This has a date of 1-18-2018 so I guess I'm okay but still doesn't answer the question. Maybe you do need to cognizant of the manufacture date. End of life signal , reset will silence for three days, will not mute after 30 days.

Ohh, the CO one has a date of 11-7-17 so looks like I've already lost a year on that one. End of life beeps every 25 seconds.

And for the techies, the CO detector has a current draw of 108 ma. The propane detector is 90ma.

These are SAFE T ALERT, a pretty common brand sold at camping world among others.

Did the install today. Dates on the old ones indicate I got a few months over five years out of them. Annoyed myself when I saw such a nice wiring job I did on the old ones. Wire nuts for something that has to replaced annually would have made more since.

Don't know about CO or Propane but with "most" smoke detectors (like the ones in our campers) it is ten years from date of manufacture. Has to do with the half life of the small amount of radioactive isotope they use.

Back
Top Bottom