Spring Sprang!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Spring (meteorological) sprang yesterday and I forgot! And yet, it does feel like it - here anyway, in southern Louisiana.

But that doesn't mean that there can't be a lot more snow falling in the mountains. More than once the big ski mountain in central Oregon, Mt. Bachelor, has hit their maximum snow depth in April. Because it's warmer, the air can hold more moisture...but if it's still below freezing in the mountains that can mean bigger dumps of snow -- while raining at slightly lower elevations. But you knew that.

Pretty disappointing storm. I've registered .01 rain so far and it looks like that is going to be it. Maybe I should go wash my truck.

Camped here in the Mississippi delta, in St. Bernard Parish southeast of New Orleans, it feels like full-on spring today.
Sitting at my campground picnic table eating a bowl of cereal for late breakfast, the sun felt hot on my face -- not just a humidity thing.
Maybe it's the latitude effect on sun angle: Lat 29.5°N here.

IMG_20220306_112548.jpg
I can't say it's "hot", at 79°F here now... But when I set up camp yesterday afternoon it was 84°F in my trailer and I turned on the A/C.

This isn't really related to spring-weather...but it definitely is weather-related. Like...6 months ago.
And I thought it was interesting.

I went for a drive today to explore the boonies of the Mississippi lower delta -- to the end of the road. In doing so I passed through what must be a wall against storm surge.
IMG_20220306_142930.jpg

IMG_20220306_134141.jpg IMG_20220306_133816.jpg

IMG_20220306_144549.jpg
Big gates in the wall are currently open, since there's no storm surge threatening. But woe to you who come up to the wall, heading north, and find the gates closed... Shoulda listened to those evac orders sooner!

I bet they were closed for Hurricane Ida last August.

Down in the open, unprotected area beyond the wall there's not much -- recreational fishing area with docks and guide services and a couple of resorts. I would have kayaked but it was too windy. People in fishing boats were coming in off the water.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Y’all down in Pointe á la Hache, Plaquemines Parish?
I am in St Bernard Parish (St Bernard State Park) about half a mile from Plaquemines Parish, about half a mile from The Mississippi River.

ski3pin said:
We've sprung forward (clocks) how 'bout you? We like to get a jump on things.
My routine: I let my "connected" devices -- phone, computer, GPS-informed clock in my truck -- make the time change while I sleep. Then in the morning, if that new time seems to be stable and working out OK...no temporal abnormalities... I manually change the time on those devices that need help -- my classic Casio wristwatch, oven clock, etc. -- to match the time on the connected devices.

i always get confused:

Is it "Spring forward. Fall back?"

Or is it "Spring back. Fall forward?"

:p

I prefer "Set it and Forget it." We don't need no stinkin' Daylight Saving Time. I ran out of places to store all the time I saved and the interest rate is so low that it's hardly worth keeping it around anyway.

Paul

PaulT said:
i always get confused:

I prefer "Set it and Forget it." We don't need no stinkin' Daylight Saving Time. I ran out of places to store all the time I saved and the interest rate is so low that it's hardly worth keeping it around anyway.

Paul
Great thoughts Paul.
Frank

PaulT said:
i always get confused:

Paul
Paul, I LOVE DST. Sun goes down so nice and late, so after a long day at work I can still do yard work, go for a bike ride, BBQ and do it all with a nice long sunset to colour the evening with natures delightful nighttime pallette to boot. We recently had a vote in Alberta and narrowly lost a vote to keep DST active all year long! I'd have loved that.

Instead of DST = "Daylight Saving Time", it should be DCT = "Daylight Consolidation Time". After all, it doesn't "save" anything -- the total amount of sunlight is the same. It just consolidates it to the evening.
I guess if you really want to stick with DST, at least make it mean "Daylight SHIFT Time". That's pretty close to what it does.

I see on the evening news that the Senate passed a bill to stay on Daylight Saving Time. I’ll guess the House of Representatives will follow suit, then again maybe not. That’s supposed to align with something like 20 states who have already passed bills to stay on one time. I know in Oregon it was voted in a year or two ago, awaiting Congress to act.

Personally I prefer the later evenings. My Grandfather thought is was dumb to switch as he was of the opinion that Standard Time favored farming. In my experience farming starts at the crack of dawn or near it, regardless of time scheme.

I hope you and yours enjoy the coming days regardless of the time.

MarkBC said:
Instead of DST = "Daylight Saving Time", it should be DCT = "Daylight Consolidation Time". After all, it doesn't "save" anything -- the total amount of sunlight is the same. It just consolidates it to the evening.
I guess if you really want to stick with DST, at least make it mean "Daylight SHIFT Time". That's pretty close to what it does.
I like the DST,daylight shift time also.
Doesn't matter much for us geezers who are retired.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom