Spring Sprang!

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I’d prefer standard time but I get outvoted most of the time. I just wish they’d decide and move on with it.
Same here, short of moving to Arizona, there appears to be little hope.

I was living in 100 Mile House, BC in the mid 70's and listening to a public radio talk show "As It Happens" one night. in a comedic script, they were talking about some catastrophic situation and the words came out that, "The world will end tonight at midnight. One half hour later in Newfoundland." Had to pick myself up off the floor.

After reading about how it came about, it is understandable how they started with a half hour difference. However, it would be a one time change to to switch to align to an hour difference. I guess that the don't change because it would cost so much to reset all the sundials fixed in concrete.

Paul

ski3pin said:
Same here, short of moving to Arizona, there appears to be little hope.
It is one of the nice things about living in Arizona. As an early riser, I have summer mornings pretty much to myself, less traffic etc. If you are traveling in the northeast corner of Arizona however, it can get weird. Leave Flagstaff which doesn't use DST, cross into the Navajo rez which uses DST, get to Tuba City where part of the "city" is the Navajo rez and part on Hopi rez. The Hopi Rez, which is entirely surrounded by the Navajo rez, does not use DST.

Nice spring storm clouds this evening.
gallery_4841_711_2324340.jpeg

ski3pin said:
Well I'm giving up on winter. We're pulling the snow tires off of Julie's Subaru.
Not so fast there pardner! Mammoth is picking up snow and so is our local cabin and resort area. We’re parked along the Rincon as I type this and it’s raining like hell! We still have 3 days for a Miracle March and then there’s Awesome April!

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Not so fast there pardner! Mammoth is picking up snow and so is our local cabin and resort area. We’re parked along the Rincon as I type this and it’s raining like hell! We still have 3 days for a Miracle March and then there’s Awesome April!
Hope springs eternal. :)

Signs of Spring - flocks of sandhill cranes have flown over. Robins are about making noise. Stellar jays have arrived. Big leaf maples and dogwood are budding. Our peach trees have blossomed with new leaves emerging. The apple tree is following with buds on the branches. The days warm up quicker. Yup, spring is in the air. Will we get one more dump of snow? Little Red wants to work and with the snowpack at an estimated 40% of the April 1st average, we desperately need it.

Spring in Central Oregon
I woke in the wee hours this morning and heard the dribble of water in a downspout = rain! It was still going on, though not much, when I got up a few hours later.
When I took the garbage bin out to the street late this afternoon there were a few white flakes falling from the sky.
The 24-hour snow accumulation at the local ski mountain, Mt. Bachelor, reported 18 new inches, and the local TV news weather said maybe 10 more inches could be expected overnight at Bachelor.
The local news also reported wind gusts this afternoon of 40 mph.
Tomorrow night Bend's forecast low is 24°F, and Thursday the forecast high is 80°F...then a couple days later the forecast highs are down in the 40s.
Yup, in spring it's always sumpin!

Back
Top Bottom