Best cell phone carrier for "wandering"?

My wife worked on reports last night until 12 AM, I prepared for a shoot that I did early this morning, on a ridge top at over 11,000 feet, it all worked fantastic.

Attachments

• Rig.jpg
    Rig.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 192
Thanks, Kodachrome. Looks amazing. I probably don't need as much tech as you do but it sounds brilliant.

One more question, though, please. I do travel via BC and Washington State Ferries quite often and clearance can be an issue. Is this outfit removable and replaceable fairly easily? It looks as though it might not be...

It's not bad with a socket and closed end wrench. I bet you could fab a pinned fold down system, I might because I am nearly 9 feet as it is with the lift and 33" tires. What are the typical clearances on ferries in that area? I have thought about such journeys...

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
BC ferries would charge overage for more than 84", Alaska might give a slide for an extra foot or so. Not sure about Washington St.
Frank
On the main routes to and from Vancouver Island BCFerries does not charge for over height, they just put you on the bottom deck if your rig is over 7'. The smaller routes may be different. WA State ferries charges over height on the Kingston/Edmonds run.

busboy66 said:
On the main routes to and from Vancouver Island BCFerries does not charge for over height, they just put you on the bottom deck if your rig is over 7'. The smaller routes may be different. WA State ferries charges over height on the Kingston/Edmonds run.
I found that on the Pt. Hardy to Prince Rupert ferry,last time ,2011,the overage was at 7'2",
It cost me an extra almost $200 to have my canoe on the roof and that had a height of about 7' 10". Only 8" over and they can be strict if you don't claim your actual height when you reserve your spot.
I have never used the smaller routes in the south island.
That's good to know about their height charges.,thanks.
Frank

PS busboy66,I saw your rig back in Sept of 2011 north of Victoria.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I found that on the Pt. Hardy to Prince Rupert ferry,last time ,2011,the overage was at 7'2",
It cost me an extra almost $200 to have my canoe on the roof...

PS busboy66,I saw your rig back in Sept of 2011 north of Victoria.
Yikes! Sept 2011 seems so long ago.

BTW thanks to everyone for the info on wireless repeaters. We live in a cell dead zone. Looking seriously at the Wilson unit for home.

On reflection, I decided on the Sleek 3G--I don't really need internet access for the amount of camping I do, but do appreciate the greater range of choice that cellphone access gives me. Finally got away to try it out this last week--camping and stopping along the Sonoma Coast. Sure enough, places that had minimal or no signal gave me 4 or 5 bars on my phone. This is wonderful!

Just an update on choices I've made in this realm:

• Going on 4 years since I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon and I'm still satisfied. :)
    I left T-Mobile in 2011 after an aggravating experience with no coverage for about 60 miles along US 395 (a highway with thousands of cars/hr). No T-Mobile coverage in Bridgeport (at the time), for example.
    At the time, Verizon only had 3G coverage in that area, which was still much better than T-Mo's no-coverage! But Verizon has expanded 4G a lot since 2011.
I used to consider Verizon's network type was a bad choice because the phones wouldn't work in Europe (back when I used to occasionally travel there for business). But many -- at least high-end -- Verizon phones are now "global phones" and work on GSM networks, too (outside the USA).

I was pleased to discover that for a $15 fee I could use my Verizon phone in Baja, Mexico for a month with 100 MB of data, 100 minutes of talk, 100 text messages (i.e., all this without paying "roaming charges"). 100 MB isn't much data, but it's plenty for simple email and minor web access. It worked! :)

• About 2 years since I got this cell signal booster and I'm still satisfied.
    The models have changed since then, and the company has changed its name, but similar and better models (such as the one Kodachrome got) are still available. I like the model I got because it's not permanently installed -- I can move it between my truck and my car depending on which vehicle I'm using for a trip.

We have been with Verizon also from the beginning when it was GTE mobile net.
Only for a 2 year period had we switched to T-Mobile but for the same reasons as Mark's we went back to Verizon.

As a side note we use the T-Mobile phone while visiting our daughter in Spain.Just get a Sim card for the Spanish system and we are good to go.
It's too much of a hassle to work with the Verizon phone for our time there.

In our wide travels the Verizon network has proved to be the best for us.Still don't really like the company but what other choice is there?
Frank

You might consider a folding antenna mount like this one to reduce your height in tight spaces. I notice the trucker antenna from Wilson is 3/8-24 and this adapter inserts between the existing mount and the antenna.

One disadvantage is that you have to remember to raise it back up after leaving the tight spot.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom