How do you mount your scissor steps to your FWC?

Oryguntroutbum

With an Eagle on a Tacoma I had plenty of room to attach an L iron (I used heavy alum.) to the camper bottom. Then I used the standard attachment bracket bolted to the L. The steps detach fairly quickly. Works well in my back yard. The real test comes in a couple of weeks and lasts all summer.

Hittheroad said:
With an Eagle on a Tacoma I had plenty of room to attach an L iron (I used heavy alum.) to the camper bottom. Then I used the standard attachment bracket bolted to the L. The steps detach fairly quickly. Works well in my back yard. The real test comes in a couple of weeks and lasts all summer.
Thanks. Any chance you could post a pic when you have time?

This is a confusing picture but if you study it you should see what I did (I hope).
I have also attached a storage pipe above the bumper (left side of picture).
Steps are folded up and held in place by straps.
Picture seems to be rotated for reasons I do not understand.
Furthermore it comes up only as a small thumbnail which sucks.
If you send me a personal message with your email I will send you a full sized picture that you can actually see.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 879
Hittheroad said:
This is a confusing picture but if you study it you should see what I did (I hope).
If you send me a personal message with your email I will send you a full sized picture that you can actually see.
Very cool. Thanks. PM sent.

I used flat bracket with two hooks, it came with the steps. Similar to the L-bracket at e-trailer, but it's just a flat bar. Lagged it straight through the trim strip at the bottom of the camper, into the plywood floor. It is solid and makes it easy to take the steps on and off. It's held up on this camper just fine for about a year with a lot of foot traffic in and out of the camper, and I had it set up the same way on my Northstar for about five years with no issues. Door clearance isn't an issue.

Thanks Central Toast,
I ordered the L shaped Brophy bracker and plan on bolting it into the aluminum through the floor under the door (from underneath). I think this should work. I may drill a couple more holes as I think the bracket only has two holes pre drilled.

Here's mine.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

I have a 2012 Raven. Just used lag screws with plenty of liquid nails applied to the screws. Been on for a year and a half. Very sturdy and strong. I like to leave the steps on while we are traveling. Anything to make setup quicker and easier. Also, I don't have to make room to store the steps in the camper or truck this way. Sometimes they can get pretty dirty. You can see the motorcycle tiedown that we use, along with a mat behind it, to prevent scratching. The tiedown holds them very tight against the bumper.

photohc said:
Captainphx, where did you get yours and which model or size did you get? Thanks.
Got it at torklift.com. 6 inch steps. I got the 6 step version and ended up removing one step.

It's funny, but I don't have as much room as you do Captain, between the bottom of my door and the bottom edge of the camper. I'm going to have to mount from underneath but I think it should work fine. So did you predrill and just use lag screws? No issues with anything stripping out I assume? Good idea about the lock.

rayct77 said:
It's funny, but I don't have as much room as you do Captain, between the bottom of my door and the bottom edge of the camper. I'm going to have to mount from underneath but I think it should work fine. So did you predrill and just use lag screws? No issues with anything stripping out I assume? Good idea about the lock.
Yup, predrilled, liquid nails, snugged 'em up. No stripping. I don't think there going anywhere.

6 years ago I affixed a plastic, 15 inch tall, swivel head owl, to the top of my chimney, with nothing but a whole tube of liquid nails. Plastic to sheet metal. Suckers still up there, swiveling away! And I live in AZ with all the blazing sun. Great stuff!

Hittheroad said:
Pm sent too

I purchased the Brophy 2 step trailer hitch steps from the FWC Distributor in Wisconsin, for $125+/-. I didn't want to put any holes or anything that could damage the bottom of the camper. It works well enough. My wife takes a little longer to get in and out. My F-250 is high but the steps are perfect. jd

Stalking Light said:
I got one of these step stools and so far it works great, but the final step up into the camper is a fairly big one.
I had that exact one and returned it to amazon. It cracked when I stepped down on it. I'm 200 lbs. I ordered the torklift glow steps. I was trying to decide on mounting on the rear wall or under the camper.

Fyreman said:
I had that exact one and returned it to amazon. It cracked when I stepped down on it. I'm 200 lbs. I ordered the torklift glow steps. I was trying to decide on mounting on the rear wall or under the camper.
Ouch. I'm 200# as well and it has held up nicely under me, thank goodness. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom