I wrote a letter to my Solar supplier

billharr

Many of us are putting solar on the roof and using the supplied SAE plug to connect our panels. Most of us would like a 90 degree plug that does not stick straight up. Someone makes of has made one see picture. I wrote the email below to Renogy if everyone wrote to the supplier of their panel we might find some 90 degree plugs.

clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

Question plug

Bill Harr

8:07 PM

Photos

To: info@renogy.com

I purchased your

Solar Panel Bundle 100W Monocrystalline: 100W Solar Panel + 30A Charge Controller + MC4 Solar Adaptor Cable

It is working great and was easy to install on my FWC Hawk Four Wheel Camper and several other manufactures put a SAE 2 wire plug on the roof. Most of us do as I did and use a SAE 2 wire plug attached to the MC4 plug as supplied in my bundle.

The issue is the SAE plug is a straight plug holding the wires up and in the wind. I have seen a 90 degree SAE 2 wire plug but can not find it anywhere. Below is a picture of it.

med_gallery_1903_734_21513.jpg

Do you have one or could you find one you could sell? There is a market out there looking for a 90 degree plug.

MotoDave said:
The patent for the flanged socket points to this company: http://www.safco.com/custom-product-examples

Not much info on their site, may just have to call.
I did get a reply from Safco see below. I thanks them in a reply asking they contact me if they ever make of carry one.

clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

SAFCO Reply to: Bill Harr

Rick Watkins

Edit contact

9:36 AM

To: bikest1100@hotmail.com

Dear Bill,

Unfortunately, SAFCO does not make a 90 degree or right angle SAE plug.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

SAFCO LLC Customer Service.

Bill,
I phoned Safeco. (forgot that you contacted them already). Jeff in sales referred me to "Digikey" handles small orders. Results they don't have it.

Jeff referred me to Zamp Solar in Bend. They also don't have it. We talked at length about RV "roof" panel efficiency. He told me heat reduces efficiency (you know that - I don't quite yet). He recommended straight thru-wiring eliminating all connectors for the best efficiency. I sent them (Jessie) a link to your email to view the right angle connector.
Jim

My fleet came with a pair of right angle SAE connectors from FWC - so they do exist. You may want to contact FWC to find out who their supplier is.

Just finished my install. Not only did I not get a 90 degree SAE plug, the one I did get came with the polarity reversed. That took a little while to sort out...

Back
Top Bottom