02 Tundra front axle replacement

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
Need some incite on removing and replacing the drivers side halve shaft on my 02 Tundra 4WD.I have read up and it seems fairly straight forward,but if anyone has done this please forward what ever tips I might need.
The reason for the work is I found a torn outer boot on the drivers side and feel I can do this myself.As the Toyota shop wants between $450 and $700 for new boots or the whole axle.
Thanks Frank

Good for you frank, this should be a simple job. You will need a 36mm 1/2" drive socket for the axle nut, have a friend stand on the brake while you bust it loose. 175ft pounds here.

Buy new dust and outer wheel seals. If you try to reuse them they sometimes get ruined anyways, so that would hold up your job an extra couple days and you don't want that. Get these from the dealer, the actual axle you can get anywhere. Buy the cheapest one you can find that has a lifetime warranty.

Take the bottom 4 bolts out where the ball joint is bolted to the LCA so you can swing the whole hub around with plenty of work space. The ball joint only goes on one way, so you won't need an alignment afterwards.

If you are for any reason inclined to beat the threaded end of the stub axle with a blunt instrument, make sure you thread the old nut on there first so you don't smash up the threads. If they are damaged too badly to be re machined, some picky auto parts places will not accept your core. Just fyi.

Make sure the CV axle goes all the way inside the diff when you reinstall it. You will hear the click of the circlip and the flange where the seal goes will be flush with the case.

I finished my front axle remove/replace.I just don't see how Toyota can look you in the eye and charge $750 for "one" axle R/R.I purchased a new axle,sure it is made in China but it's made to OME specs and has a lifetime warranty.Toyota doesn't give you that.
It took me barely an hour and half to complete the swap and that includes putting the tools away and clean up.
This switch is really easy.If any one out there needs to replace an axle or even a torn boot IMO the best,easiest,cheapest way is do it yourself with a "new" axle which run about $50 to $70 on line or through a auto parts store,like O'Reilly.
Things you will need.35MM socket to remove the axle nut,14MM socket to remove the four bolts that hold the lower ball joint on,a torque wrench,and something to pry the axle out of the diff.
Things you don't need,new outer seal it should come with the new CV shaft,a new inner seal the on there should be ok if you don't mess it up as you pull the old axle out.The inner seal that the store has as a replacement for the inner isn't even the right one.If you need that one do some searching to find the right one,it's just a small ring,may be 2"diameter seal that stays in the diff housing.The dust shield is what needs to be removed from the old CV shaft and reused.
You don't even need to put more gear lube in only a few drops come out when you remove the shaft.If you are goung to not replace the new shaft right away just stuff a clean rag or shop towel in the opening.
Good luck to anyone doing this.
Frank

Nice job Frank and a few bucks saved is always nice. Now if you can come help me with a torque converter..............

Nice job Frank and a few bucks saved is always nice. Now if you can come help me with a torque converter..............

Jay would love to but at our ages I think that may be one thing to have done by the shop or at least a younger person.
The axle switch was a snap,but a torque converter...that's work.
Hows the weather there?Also how have you been coming along on the medical side?
You should be getting ready to go see the whales soon.
Frank

Frank,
My medical issues seem to have resolved them selves with the help of surgery, drugs and time. I'm feeling quite well. I played tennis today @ 9AM in a temperate 29 degrees. Really? Tucson? Not quite what I signed up for. So thats the health and weather report. We are excited about heading down to Laguna San Ignacio soon (March 29.) We Currently have 4 vehicles entering at Mexicali East and 2 at TJ. We're hoping SunMan & Woman and Tom Tierra con esposa will be able to join us. Bob (K6on) had to bow out but he'll be going to Viet Nam instead. He better have lots of pix for us all when he gets back. I'm taking bass guitar lessons to try and join the players when we're in camp.

Sure wish you could join us.

Frank,
My medical issues seem to have resolved them selves with the help of surgery, drugs and time. I'm feeling quite well. I played tennis today @ 9AM in a temperate 29 degrees. Really? Tucson? Not quite what I signed up for. So thats the health and weather report. We are excited about heading down to Laguna San Ignacio soon (March 29.) We Currently have 4 vehicles entering at Mexicali East and 2 at TJ. We're hoping SunMan & Woman and Tom Tierra con esposa will be able to join us. Bob (K6on) had to bow out but he'll be going to Viet Nam instead. He better have lots of pix for us all when he gets back. I'm taking bass guitar lessons to try and join the players when we're in camp.

Sure wish you could join us.

Glad you health issues are better.29* and you live in Arizona?We have warmer temps here in sunny Monterey.Thanks for the invite but we have visitors from Austria around that time.
Enjoy the trip.Lots of pics are required.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom