1/2 T or 3/4 T?

Our main out of the truck mode of transportation is either walking shoes or hiking boots. We travel light -- remember we've been tent campers for years (-- a great way to go until the rain gets heavy). A dealer just called me with a very attractive price on a new F-150 XLT 4x4 and, I'm feeling weak. The Hawk will fit on this model, right?

Do yourself a favor! Resist that F150. Get a 3/4 ton now. Otherwise by the time you realize you made a mistake and you sell the F150 and finally buy a 3/4 ton, you will have spent much more than you possibly might have saved on this purchase. For the sake of your safety and your loved ones, you want to 3/4 brakes. I've been there, 1/2 ton with less than adequate brakes is scary and deadly.

Our main out of the truck mode of transportation is either walking shoes or hiking boots. We travel light -- remember we've been tent campers for years (-- a great way to go until the rain gets heavy). A dealer just called me with a very attractive price on a new F-150 XLT 4x4 and, I'm feeling weak. The Hawk will fit on this model, right?

My ATC Panther shell sits on a F150 4x4 4.6l V-8 which works fine except on long interstate up-hills with a headwind. But then I spend most of my time on two lanes or less. As I said, I have a shell and also pack light.

If you get a pop-up with all the options, fill it up with water, propane, two people, and lots of gear you'll be over your 1/2 ton limit quickly.

Went to the Ford Dealer to look at the interior of a 2010 F-150 4 x 4 and got to talking with the salesman about a 250 versus a 150. He had just taken in 2000 F-250 7.3 PSD in on a trade-- red, short wheelbase and bed with the six speed manual transmission. We took it for a test drive and I really liked it. My wife seemed to think it was noisy. It's funny how individual perceptions will vary. I also thought the truck was nimble, which was a pleasant surprise. The truck only has 76,000 on the odometer and is very clean. What would something like that be worth? That F-250 would never even know it had a camper on it's back!

I suggest you test drive a Dodge Cummins as well. It will have much tighter turning radius that the 2000 F250 and get 10 to 20% better diesel mileage.

I too, have made several trips up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik. My favorite dirt road on earth!

That F-250 would never even know it had a camper on it's back!

You are right on! Get a 3/4 ton truck of your favorite flavor and you'll never regret it.

The difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton with a FWC Hawk on it is literaly night and day.

I suggest you test drive a Dodge Cummins as well. It will have much tighter turning radius that the 2000 F250 and get 10 to 20% better diesel mileage.

I too, have made several trips up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik. My favorite dirt road on earth!

I'm glad someone else feels that way about the Dempster. It is a really special experience.

Rambling, about the Dempster, have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/user/generubinaudio#p/f/9/Pjx7oidhNSI

That was great! A lot of memories. My 05 Element was an adobe brick at the end of the trip, but it handled the road without a glitch. When the Dempster gets muddy, its like driving on slime. We just got back from a 15,000+ mile trip, but that video makes me want to get back on the road.

I was actually headed up Inuvik 4 weeks ago. My girl, Anne, and I were going to do the drive from here in Ventura, up to Inuvik and back again. Two days before we were to leave, she ended up in the hospital (long story). Today, 4 weeks later, about the same day we would have been returning from NWT, she is finally coming home from the hospital. We'll try and do the trip next summer. I am hoping to share the Demspter with Anne. Last summer we drove from Ventura to Anchorage via the Cassair, Dawson City and Denali. We were delivering a fancy sedan to Anchorage so we passed right by the beginning of the Dempster (didn't want to screw up the guy's nice car). I did point the car north at the entrance and paid homage for a few minutes before carrying on the Dawson City.

The license plates alone are a worthy reason to move to NWT.

Attachments

• IMGP4182.jpg
    IMGP4182.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 162
Love those plates! I hope to get to Inuvik next Fall. Was planning on it last Spring but the flooded Yukon diverted us to the Brooks Range. Hope you daughter is doing well.

I was actually headed up Inuvik 4 weeks ago. My girl, Anne, and I were going to do the drive from here in Ventura, up to Inuvik and back again. Two days before we were to leave, she ended up in the hospital (long story). Today, 4 weeks later, about the same day we would have been returning from NWT, she is finally coming home from the hospital. We'll try and do the trip next summer. I am hoping to share the Demspter with Anne. Last summer we drove from Ventura to Anchorage via the Cassair, Dawson City and Denali. We were delivering a fancy sedan to Anchorage so we passed right by the beginning of the Dempster (didn't want to screw up the guy's nice car). I did point the car north at the entrance and paid homage for a few minutes before carrying on the Dawson City.

The license plates alone are a worthy reason to move to NWT.

1. Hope your daughter is well and making a full recovery.
2. Is that a Cascade camper shell in the thumbnail?
3. How does that vehicle delivery gig work out? We met some people in AK this summer who were delivering a Winnebago RV to a local RV rental company. It sounded like a much better deal for the RV company than the people delivering the unit.
4. Looks like, if I want to say married -- and I do, we'll be buying a 2010 F-150 4 x 4 today or tomorrow. I really loved that F-250 with the 7.3 PSD... I'm calling FWC to order my Hawk this morning.
5. I tried to buy a NWT license plate in Inuvik, but they were sold out. I'll have one some day.
6. My thanks to everyone for their help in arriving at this decision.

Actually, Anne is my wife, not daughter. She has leukemia so it is a rough treatment. Fair chances of survival. We really wanted to make it to Inuvik this summer, just in case there isn't a next summer.

About delivering a one-way to Anchorage. I watched the "wanted" vehicles in Anchorage and sent emails to people looking fora specific car and told them if they find one on California I'd drive it up. I had a few to choose from! Then we flew back.

The truck shell is a Tradesman. I have had a couple of these. They are decent but next time I'd get the much better Caravan Topper, made in Reno Nevada.

NWT license plates are available on ebay, usually.

Enjoy your new truck!

Gene

I would love to have a nice big 3/4 ton diesel but can't justify the expense. I ran a Hawk on a 2002 Tundra (240 hp) for 8 years with good success. No air bags or other mods. I could easily do 75-80 mph, keeping it in overdrive on the highway and getting 14 mpg. The only times I had a problem were with very strong headwinds or long, steep grades. My worst experience gave me 9 mpg. Now I have a 2010 Tundra. It has 381 hp, but no experience with the Hawk on it yet to relate.

I would love to have a nice big 3/4 ton diesel but can't justify the expense. I ran a Hawk on a 2002 Tundra (240 hp) for 8 years with good success. No air bags or other mods. I could easily do 75-80 mph, keeping it in overdrive on the highway and getting 14 mpg. The only times I had a problem were with very strong headwinds or long, steep grades. My worst experience gave me 9 mpg. Now I have a 2010 Tundra. It has 381 hp, but no experience with the Hawk on it yet to relate.

Congrats on the new rig!!! That new Tundra is not even going to breathe hard with a Hawk on the back, no matter what the anti half tonners say!!! :cool:

Congrats on the new rig!!! That new Tundra is not even going to breathe hard with a Hawk on the back, no matter what the anti half tonners say!!! :cool:

That has got a lot of power but the payload is still 1500- 1600#s, add a Hawk, a few options, fluids and two people and you will be operating at the vehicle designed max.

Actually, Anne is my wife, not daughter. She has leukemia so it is a rough treatment. Fair chances of survival. We really wanted to make it to Inuvik this summer, just in case there isn't a next summer.<snip>

Gene, I know what I am talking about here: LOVE YOUR WIFE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW. (It's a pretty good plan anyway...)

Shalom,
Ingalls

Mark,
Much Thanks. And yes, I do love her like there's no tomorrow. Here's a page of pics from some of our trips: http://www.generubinaudio.com/id23.html
Gene

That has got a lot of power but the payload is still 1500- 1600#s, add a Hawk, a few options, fluids and two people and you will be operating at the vehicle designed max.

The old Tundra had 100# less payload and did just fine with a well optioned Hawk, two people, big dog, and enough fluids to keep us alive and clean in the desert for a week :)

The old Tundra had 100# less payload and did just fine with a well optioned Hawk, two people, big dog, and enough fluids to keep us alive and clean in the desert for a week :)

I'm sure it did fine :D I'm trying to remember just where, I think between NM and AK I was on a road that was posted that vehicle were not to exceed 75% (or maybe it was 80) of GVWT. But I didn't see anyone weighing.

Back
Top Bottom