10' vs 8' CO

jrfromafar

Advanced Member
I am noticing quite a few late model 10' COs for sale. I have been looking for a late model 8'er to replace my '72 but they seem to be scarce. Maybe I need to consider a 10'er. Or maybe I just need to be more patient - after all, this is the middle of the camping season.

Anyone wish to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of one size over the other?

A 8 footer you can use in a short bed fruck.
A 10 footer has 2 more feet inside wich is about 10sqft
My early model 8 ft fits in my bed with my tail gate closed so I don't have it licenced

I'm just afraid that extra 2' will be just too bulky. Parking in cities, back road, etc
Also added weight.

Is that extra 2' worth it?

i think the extra length is well worth it.in the co and nco, every little bit more space is an advantage. in the nco(front bed),extra bed area is great. two people can sleep either direction and sill have space for luggage and other stuff(or one more person), and in my co(side dinette), extra counter space and storage makes for less crowding and mess. as far as parking ,etc. the camper is as long as the tailgate when down.for me there is no difference . i drive a f250 extended cab with a long bed ,so i can't furn on a dime anyway. i don't feel any difference in weight or handling between the nco and co of the same size. not sure how that is between 8' and 10'. all in all, i like bigger.

wes

I'm a bigger guy too...10'CO for sure.......just make sure that the water damage on the CO section is something you might want to deal with....like Wes did on that beautiful camper ;)

Thanks for the input. I'm giving this 10' size a lot of thought. Would like to have that extra space....
... although that tailgate does come in handy around the ranch....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 323
The AKC website says 170lbs difference wet weight between the 8 and 10 footer. I have a 10'er and like the open feel it has. I would like to compare it to the 8'er to see if it is that big a difference. I suspect 25% more room would be noticeable.

Thanks again for responses. I measured from the back of my bumper to the end of my tailgate and it's 14". I see that as a plus, rather than protruding beyond the bumper a whole 24".

Please, one more question on this subject and I will promise something much less trivial in a future topic :)

With a 10' CO, is the tailgate usually left on? Is it optional?

Ok, that is 2 questions - :)

i left mine on. i also put a shim board between it and the camper for a little extra support, although i don't think it has to be that way.
for a step, i use an extension to the receiver and a internet bought step. works better for us than a step stool.

wes

Attachments

• step 1.JPG
    step 1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 209

Back
Top Bottom