100W solar panel on sale at Costco

The price seems good, free shipping, and the weight is less than the 100w at solar blvd.

My only concern are the reviews on the Costco site.

"For an RV installation Grape Solar advises that a "positive ground" is no longer required if you have a " pulse width modulated digital regulator". The regulator turns on and off so many times that the negative static charge that degrades panel performance does not get a chance to build up."

"Be careful with this panel if you are buying for an RV. It requires a funky grounding of the positive lead".

Guess I'll need to investigate more to see if these are issues, anyone provide guidance? Thanks.

According to reviews on Amazon, Grape Solar says you do not need to ground the panel if it is off grid and less than 300 watts.
from another Amazon review:

"According to Grape Solar (you can call customer service and they are very helpful), you should be able to connect the solar panel to the Morningstar charge controller, Pro Star 15 (which is 15 Amps). According to Grape Solar, you need to connect the solar panel to the Morningstar Controller with an MC4 cable. I purchased a 25ft MC4 cable ( HQRP Pair 25 feet / 7.62m 1x4mm Photovoltaic Solar Array Cables with MC4 Connectors and HQRP Coaster), and Grape Solar confirmed this was the correct purchase...."

Probably best to talk to Grape Solar and or Morningstar. Sounds like a good price. Amazon wants $277 for a Grape Solar 100w panel (not sure if it is exactly the same). I saw on Amazon that Costco had the same panel priced at $189 back in June.

I'm tempted. I'm also interested in what others with more knowledge/experience than me (none) might have to say.

If it's not a total cheap, Asian knock off and rated to operate at 17 volts or better then get it, get a harness, get a good 4 stage controller, get it installed and get camping. For FWC campers unless a person is running all the lights all the time, has a DC fridge they are keeping extra cool or trying to run a margarita blender off the house bank, 100 watts should meet a wide range of operating conditions.

Negative static charge? My bs detector is going off on that one. I can't imagine why any panel wouldn't be compatible. Its two wires. One is pos one is neg. If its different than standard so what. I hacked off that annoying mc4 connector on mine. 17 volt output to the controller is pretty standard. Costco is close, may have to go look at one.

Thanks!
Ordered 2 of them. One for the Phoenix and one for the FJ60.
I guess that I'll find out if they're any good.

Ironically we mold MC4's at work, but it's cheaper for me to buy them from Nor. AZ Solar. Most advise buying one long MC4 connector and cutting it in half. That way you get a weather-tight disconnect-able wire connection at/near the panel.

What is the general suggestion for a solar set up on a FWC Eagle? Something like this or get the factory option system?

I don't know what they're currently charging but the factory option pricing on some things has a HUGE markup. That said they already know how to install it and you don't have to do anything but write a check. So figure out how motivated you are...

Mine got here, but they're still in the wrapping and will be for a while. Got a controller and MC4 wire coming too. Need to figure out mounting, as best as I can tell I'll have to drill thru the lower part of the frame to mount it, no 'T' slots or anything.

I just spent 5 days in the woods in my FWC Eagle on a shaded no power tent camp site. It rained and was overcast or cloudy every day. I use a 1.5 watt $14.99 solar battery charger and had no issues. I ran my vent fan all night every night. Ran my sure flow water pump and my lights very liberally and charged some electronics. I cut the end off the 12V adaptor side and used alligator clips to attach to my battery. It is small and stores easy and I don't have to worry about it getting busted by something being put on the roof .....ie. kayaks, bikes, sails.....

Your 1.5 watt "charger" didn't really charge anything, especially if it was placed in a shaded area.
JJAv8or said:
I just spent 5 days in the woods in my FWC Eagle on a shaded no power tent camp site. It rained and was overcast or cloudy every day. I use a 1.5 watt $14.99 solar battery charger and had no issues. I ran my vent fan all night every night. Ran my sure flow water pump and my lights very liberally and charged some electronics. I cut the end off the 12V adaptor side and used alligator clips to attach to my battery. It is small and stores easy and I don't have to worry about it getting busted by something being put on the roof .....ie. kayaks, bikes, sails.....

Back
Top Bottom