10lbs propane tank weight

dennis 221

Yes I'm old. Forget stuff..so after are 120 day trip last fall, I'm not remembering if I filled both my 10lbs propane tanks.. can someone tell me the weight of a full tank.?

The tank should have its tare weight metal stamped on it. That is its empty weight. Subtract the tare weight from the weight you measure of the tank at present & you will have the weight of the remaining fuel. Keep in mind that the tank is filled only to 80% or so. The 10l lb. tank will have only about 8 lb. propane when full.

That is my recollection and I may have gotten it wrong. I carry a battery operated digital fish scale with a large hook on it to weigh the tank. The hook attaches to the valve protecting shield.

You can pour warm water down the side of the tank then quickly feel for the temp change at the level of the propane inside to get an idea of how much remains.

Paul

Kind of interesting. There are some that say propane weighs 4.2 lbs per gallon while others list it as 4.7.

craig333 said:
Kind of interesting. There are some that say propane weighs 4.2 lbs per gallon while others list it as 4.7.
According to the Gas Processors Association table of physical properties of hydrocarbons, propane has a liquid density of 4.2285 pounds/gallon at 60 degrees F. Of course the propane we put in our tanks probably isn't 100% propane and likely has varying amounts of other hydrocarbons (primarily propylene, isobutane, and n-butane). The butanes will increase the density somewhat. So, the actual density probably varies from fill up to fill up. However, I think 4.2 lbs/gal is probably the best guess unless you have other information about the composition.

dennis 221 said:
Yes I'm old. Forget stuff..so after are 120 day trip last fall, I'm not remembering if I filled both my 10lbs propane tanks.. can someone tell me the weight of a full tank.?
Unless I'm positive that I have not put a full tank inservice, I always fill to top off before each trip. I'm finding it harder and harder to locate places that fill tanks lately. Everyone has gone to the tank exchange method. This does not work with our 10b tanks. Even while in Bishop a few months ago, I only found one place that would fill my tank! I'm now mapping out fill locations along the way prior to hitting the road.

Cpt Davenport said:
Unless I'm positive that I have not put a full tank inservice, I always fill to top off before each trip. I'm finding it harder and harder to locate places that fill tanks lately. Everyone has gone to the tank exchange method. This does not work with our 10b tanks. Even while in Bishop a few months ago, I only found one place that would fill my tank! I'm now mapping out fill locations along the way prior to hitting the road.
Ace Hardware on 395 just south of Line.

I've also noticed its getting more difficult to get tanks filled on the road. Strange because within a mile of home there are at least a dozen places that will fill.

I've heard the tank exchanges at grocery stores, etc. that the tanks are not filled as much as one would like.

So for the 10 lb, tanks what's a minimum practical weight? Or if you can slosh something around, is it still usable? I've never gotten ours below about 17-18 lbs.

I live in Bishop. I go to Eastern Sierra Propane. Always friendly and helpful, and they know what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom