'15 gmc 2500hd first time out

Mongo

Thought I'd share a couple pictures quick. I took the maiden voyage in the new truck last night. Truck handles the camper fantastically. No struggles at all which is what I expected. Very solid even at rest moving around in the camper it's very stable. The fishing was not good but the truck/camper was great all around. Oh and 60-70 degrees and no wind always helps too! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402543139.196714.jpg

Very nice pickup Mongo. Is it gas or Duramax?

I have always been a GM guy, I have a 2004 Silverado now, but am ready for a new truck. I love the style of the new Silverados, but am extremely disappointed at GM for their gas engine offering in the HD's. They are continuing to use the same 6.0 Vortec that they have used the past 15 years! Don't get me wrong, that engine is bulletproof, I have it in my truck, but it is completely out of date and underpowered compared to the offerings of the other two manufacturers (not to mention 14 mpg on a good day). GM offers a 420 hp 6.2 liter in the 1500 that is very modern and efficient. They should have put that motor standard in the new HD's, but its not even an option.

As a result, I'm starting to consider a new Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. It has the modern fuel saving technology, plus 410 hp. There have been reports of people getting up to 18 mpg hwy!

GM has designed a great new truck, I'm sure you will enjoy it Mongo. I just hope they update their gas engine offering on those models.

Texan76 said:
Very nice pickup Mongo. Is it gas or Duramax?

I have always been a GM guy, I have a 2004 Silverado now, but am ready for a new truck. I love the style of the new Silverados, but am extremely disappointed at GM for their gas engine offering in the HD's. They are continuing to use the same 6.0 Vortec that they have used the past 15 years! Don't get me wrong, that engine is bulletproof, I have it in my truck, but it is completely out of date and underpowered compared to the offerings of the other two manufacturers (not to mention 14 mpg on a good day). GM offers a 420 hp 6.2 liter in the 1500 that is very modern and efficient. They should have put that motor standard in the new HD's, but its not even an option.

As a result, I'm starting to consider a new Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. It has the modern fuel saving technology, plus 410 hp. There have been reports of people getting up to 18 mpg hwy!

GM has designed a great new truck, I'm sure you will enjoy it Mongo. I just hope they update their gas engine offering on those models.
Duramax all the way. I had a half ton with the 6.2 (2010) this diesel owns it towing/hauling. I liked the sporty side of the 6.2 but when it came to long hauls and working, theres no contest. This trip I got 13mpg's with the diesel, the same trip with the 6.2 was 10.2. And that's on premium which is more $ than diesel. The 6.2 requires premium. I think with just the camper and no boat I could easily see mid/upper teens, we will see. Keep in Mind this is with 305/55-20 tires, those puppies weigh 72lbs each. The stock tires were 52lbs!

Also IMO the reason the 6.2 is not offered in the 2500's is because its all aluminum. It's just not cut out for hard hauling which involves a lot of HEAT. JMO.... That iron 6.0 is a proven warrior just not enough power though. Also my diesel has hit 22-24mpgs on 25-50 mile legs with good conditions (empty 15mph tail wind 70 mph) The gassers just won't touch that! One a recent 100 mile round trip I averaged out 20.8 mpg. (empty of course)

Truth is I'd go 6.2 half ton before I'd consider the 6.0 2500. It's just a real let down IMO. At least the half ton would be a roaring stallion empty, even if it didn't take the load as well.

Heres a better look at the tires. They're a full inch wider than stock plus extra MEAT

Attachments

• D7K_2918.JPG
    D7K_2918.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 123

Back
Top Bottom