1978 FWC New Owner

IMG_0124.JPGIMG_0125.JPGIMG_0126.JPG

So I bought a window from 5star in Brighton CO, I just need to figure out how to pick it up.

Did your upper bed have fold down legs to support it when extended? My 79 Grandby was a mess when I bought it. The extendable bed was fastened to the fixed part with a piano hinge, and it had folding legs to support it. Not sure if was built with a hinge originally. When I rebuilt mine I designed it to slide out like newer campers with supports on each side and a piece of aluminum angle screwed to the front wall. I used 3/4" plywood and then used a 1x4 piece of oak across the front of the plywood. I didn't have a dado blade for my table saw, so I just made multiple passes to make a groove in the oak for the plywood. It's rock solid and holds my 235 # butt very well. You can see the 1x4 running across the front of the plywood in this picture, and also the support on the side wall.

Attachments

• resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 154
  • resize1.jpg
    resize1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 159
Portercassidy said:
Do you have a picture? I know that it will need some extra support.

When I tore it apart, I noticed a piano hinge, but it had long since worked.
I added a couple pictures.

In this picture you can see the piece of aluminum angle that runs across the front wall to support the plywood edge.

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 144
IMG_0127.JPG

Here is the window I bought from 5 star RV in Brighton (Thanks for the info Tim)

It is 2” to narrow, but I will shim it up on both sides, and I think it will work.

Still working on a way to get it to Grand Junction, maybe I will drive out there Friday.

IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

I installed the insulation.

I need to work on my wiring. Which will be on the back wall, and the ceiling. Which means I need all of the stuff to hook up to a couple of batteries. Probably need some recommendations what batteries people like. I also need to reacquaint myself with wiring systems. I doubt I will need a fuse box. It would be great to eventually have some sort of solar power system.

I am also wondering how many BTU’s you guys are running in your furnace. This is really the reason, I have always had my eye on a FWC. My wife is a lot happier when she is warm, and it would be great to leave the heat on all time on a thermostat. I am thinking in the 12,000 16,000 range. My current opening is 6” wide, and vents out the back.

Since I need to pick up that window, I may drive to Denver tomorrow. 3 1/2 hrs, and buy a used furnace from them. I would probably start looking around for LED lights for the interior and exterior.

Anything else I should keep my eyes out for?

Looks really good!

You most definitely want to have a fuse or circuit breaker protection for your electrical circuits! If one of your wires short out best case scenario is the entire run of that wire melts but the real danger is the potential for a fire. Fuses and circuit breakers protect your wiring from over voltage and definitely not something you want to leave out. Make sure to also protect the wires coming from your truck's battery/alternator with the appropriate size fuse/alternator.

Drove to Denver, and pretty glad I did.

The window that I purchased over the phone, wouldn’t have work. It was 1/2” too tall. Glad I double checked. Plus it have a small crack in one of the window pieces.
Luckily, 5star RV does have a lot of windows. After searching for a very long time. I was trying to decide between 6” too wide (cut and reframe the FWC. Or 6” too narrow (reframe, and patch). Both of these windows had rounded counters, so I would have had to do the Poky fix. Use webbing, and fill in the gaps.
I really needed to take a leak, and I was looking for a strategic place in the junkyard. When I found 2 FWC same era as mine. Pretty beat up. Both of these had the exact window I was looking for.

We had to get special permission from the boss, but it all worked out.

Also picked up a Atwood furnace 16,000 btu, a converter and a thermostat. 10 hour round trip, but it was worth it. IMG_1415.JPG

Portercassidy said:
Drove to Denver, and pretty glad I did.

The window that I purchased over the phone, wouldn’t have work. It was 1/2” too tall. Glad I double checked. Plus it have a small crack in one of the window pieces.
Luckily, 5star RV does have a lot of windows. After searching for a very long time. I was trying to decide between 6” too wide (cut and reframe the FWC. Or 6” too narrow (reframe, and patch). Both of these windows had rounded counters, so I would have had to do the Poky fix. Use webbing, and fill in the gaps.
I really needed to take a leak, and I was looking for a strategic place in the junkyard. When I found 2 FWC same era as mine. Pretty beat up. Both of these had the exact window I was looking for.

We had to get special permission from the boss, but it all worked out.

Also picked up a Atwood furnace 16,000 btu, a converter and a thermostat. 10 hour round trip, but it was worth it.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1415.JPG
Sweet! Got what you needed and didn't have to stand in a Black Friday line.

Looks like you are moving right along. Glad you had a good trip to 5star. Its pretty incredible to find all sort of things. Can't believe they had two old fwc sitting around. I am sure someone would want to buy those and do the same thing you are doing.

Just to echo what some else said, I would definitely have some sort of fuse system. Even if just the simple cylinder glass fuses. I think you could rig something up for a ~10$ and it could save a catastrophe.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1DK46?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916809037!!!g!104635189077!&ef_id=V9rlCwAAAcsdlZ0M:20171125150035:s&kwid=productads-adid^50916809037-device^c-plaid^104635189077-sku^1DK46-adType^PLA

Keep the pace going. Awesome to see all the progress!

IMG_0146.JPGIMG_0147.JPG

New control center.

Batteries on bottom, sharing the space with the large extension cord. Furnace new location, inside and out. The old location for the previous furnace, will be turned into a access panel for the extension cord.

Still have to do some electrical work, and more sink prep.

IMG_0152.JPGIMG_0150.JPG

It’s been a few days, so I thought I would give an update. Little bit more progress on the interior. This thing is going to be spacious. I decided to go with (2) 12V batteries running parallel. They are a little lighter than the 6V running in series. I will only be powering the furnace, a few led lights, and maybe charging a cell phone. Still have to wire it, and finalize my command center console.
Been sick the last few days, so progress has been a little slower than I would like. But things are coming together enough on the inside, I can finally focus a little bit more on the outside too.

IMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094.JPG

In other news... Sold one of my Wildernest campers tonight. This thing served my family well for the last 3 years. Gonna miss how incognito of a camper it was on the Tundra. But stoked to have something “new” to play with.

Back
Top Bottom