1978 FWC New Owner

IMG_0168.JPG

A little bit of trimming, and as soon as the Butyl tape shows up in the mail, I can start putting all of the windows and doors back in. One of the “Cooler” aspects of these older campers, are the extra width you get with the door.

Also installing an Black Friday $8 Bear Beer opener from Home Depot.

IMG_0169.JPG

I have one coat around the whole FWC, Maybe tomorrow get another coat on there.

But really I am waiting on the Butyl Tape in the mail. I cant even tell if I am typing that word right half the time.

IMG_0170.JPG

Saved the badge. This is the only reason that I believe this camper is from 1978, but the badge was issued by the Colorado Division of Housing. Kinda Funny.

I guess it could be older?

IMG_0171.JPG

One of the biggest hurdles when deciding to pull the trigger on a FWC, was having 3 beds.

My daughter is 16 years old, and climbs, rafts, desert explores with us. She is practically 6’ tall. So she gets the upper bunk. 4x6.5’

I needed to build a bed for my wife and I and the lower section. I love what I came up with.

IMG_0172.JPG

Have a recliner couch for watching movies with the family.

Need one more hinge. I bought a springed hinge, but did not end up using it. Went to the local Habitat for Humanities and paid $1 a hinge, so that was pretty nice for a change.

IMG_0173.JPG

The bottom bunk is 5’X6.6’. With tons of room underneath for action packers etc... This is probably how I will travel, so I still have access to the back window, although I am sure I wont be able to see anything out the back anyway.

In the last picture is that the upper bed slide out? If so it appears there is a bow in the plywood. Are you installing a stiffening end piece like the campers have today? jd

longhorn1 said:
In the last picture is that the upper bed slide out? If so it appears there is a bow in the plywood. Are you installing a stiffening end piece like the campers have today? jd
Yes, Not finished quite yet. Still have a few finalizing cuts to do. Just showing the progress. Still a ways away from finishing the inside.

Portercassidy said:
Maybe our campers were neighbors is some random ColoRADo trailer park.
I believe that badge is called an "insignia of approval" and its purpose was for FWC to certify that they built the camper in compliance with Colorado's standards for recreational vehicles. It also provides a way to look up the documentation of the plans and approval at the Colorado Division of Housing's office. That of course was back when FWC campers were built in Colorado.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any detail on how the process worked to answer the question of when the camper was actually built. If you just look at the insignia, it appears that date could be the date of filing or approval of FWC's plan with the Division of Housing. But I'm guessing it's the build date. It makes more sense to me that FWC would add the serial number, build-date, and plan approval number for an individual camper to an insignia plate.

The check marks have to do with identifying whether the unit is equipped with plumbing, heating, electrical, and fire safety systems.

It would be interesting to compare the numbers on multiple insignias, i.e., on multiple campers of the same era.

If anyone has more info on the insignia or how this process worked, please reply (or PM me)!

Old Crow said:
I believe that badge is called an "insignia of approval" and its purpose was for FWC to certify that they built the camper in compliance with Colorado's standards for recreational vehicles. It also provides a way to look up the documentation of the plans and approval at the Colorado Division of Housing's office. That of course was back when FWC campers were built in Colorado.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any detail on how the process worked to answer the question of when the camper was actually built. If you just look at the insignia, it appears that date could be the date of filing or approval of FWC's plan with the Division of Housing. But I'm guessing it's the build date. It makes more sense to me that FWC would add the serial number, build-date, and plan approval number for an individual camper to an insignia plate.

The check marks have to do with identifying whether the unit is equipped with plumbing, heating, electrical, and fire safety systems.

It would be interesting to compare the numbers on multiple insignias, i.e., on multiple campers of the same era.

If anyone has more info on the insignia or how this process worked, please reply (or PM me)!
Thanks for the background. Do you know where in Colorado the Rowe family started FWC? I am guessing Denver, but I tried looking but couldn’t find anything.

I know that Wildernest Campers was owned by Lowe Alpine, and started in Boulder.

Portercassidy said:
Thanks for the background. Do you know where in Coloradd the Rowe family started FWC? I tried looking but couldn’t find anything.

I know that Wildernest Campers was owned by Lowe Alpine, and started in Boulder.
I don't know if the factory moved from time to time while in Colorado but according to this April 1977 vintage article, they were on West 62nd Avenue in Denver at the time....

(Click to enlarge)

fourwheelcamperAd1.jpg

(I'll post the 2nd page of the article in my next post)

Back
Top Bottom