1981 Fleet build/restoration

Dobba84

Advanced Member
Well I scored this 81 fleet camper for $200. Needs some work. New canvas mostly. Heater and water pump works. We have done some eclectic duct tape work on the canvas to try to make it livable while we work on it. Will try to update as we get things done!
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3187.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG
IMG_3189.JPG
IMG_3190.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG

First camp trip! Then duct tape work!
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG
59329623619__A104A07A-DA55-4DBC-8ECC-6A2166A80CAF.JPG
59329569944__EE7DE45B-BF10-43E0-9122-69CE258763DC.JPG
Removed the ice box for more storage.

Made a custom harness to charge the battery while we drive.
59340130590__AD1EA53A-BC7B-40F5-A434-E58DF7188432.JPG
Updated the propane bottle strap
59339579397__95FA5F7E-96F1-4332-B2FD-07B147849F9B.JPG
A couple more pics of the camp views we had.
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG

$200 Bucks! Sweet Deal ! Just got done restoring an 83 Fleet - Best recent project ever! Have fun -

HughDog said:
$200 Bucks! Sweet Deal ! Just got done restoring an 83 Fleet - Best recent project ever! Have fun -
Did you do the canvas?

Dobba84 said:
Did you do the canvas?
Bought the "moonglow" canvas material from sailrite.com pretty cheap, Also got the screens, velcro & eisenglass, then paid a local place to work off the old canvases as a template.

There are several folks on this site that did their own sewing if you want to go that route.

HughDog said:
Bought the "moonglow" canvas material from sailrite.com pretty cheap, Also got the screens, velcro & eisenglass, then paid a local place to work off the old canvases as a template.

There are several folks on this site that did their own sewing if you want to go that route.
Sweet. Thanks for the site. Did you do the install?

Dobba84,

Welcome aboard, this is a wonderful forum for ideas and support. I think you’ll like it.

I did a full on restore of a 1981 Grandby that might provide you some ideas, and lots of pictures and commentary on what I did, including sewing and installing the side liner.

I thought I’d let you know in the event it can help with your project. If I can be of any help let me know.

Poky

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12116-new-build-1981-grandby-to-become-a-hawk/

If don’t want to do the canvas and lift panels yourself, and you’re close to Sacramento, talk to the ATC Team. They work on older FWC campers, do really good work, and at reasonable rates.

You got an exceptional deal.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If don’t want to do the canvas and lift panels yourself, and you’re close to Sacramento, talk to the ATC Team. They work on older FWC campers, do really good work, and at reasonable rates.

You got an exceptional deal.
Yea I always feel like there is a better deal out there. But I am stoked with this camper. Only wish the canvas was better. Needs a counter top too.

I live in Grand Junction Co.

Made this harness to go from the factory trailer wiring to the pre existing 4 pin lead to the battery that was in the camper. I wired it off the aux 12v charge terminal in the 7pin adapter.

This, in theory, should charge the battery while driving the truck.
59348100813__52CA8262-1C6E-47DC-9F77-D0F04FC64977.JPG

Do you guys think this camper is in good enough shape to redo? I want honest opinions and not a money pit.

Dobba84 said:
Do you guys think this camper is in good enough shape to redo? I want honest opinions and not a money pit.
I don’t know enough about it to say 100% yes, but from what you’ve shown in the photos, and what you’ve said, it seems that way. Any rot that’s obvious? How’s the floor pack? Do you see any areas that scream mistreatment? Think there might be broken welds? Mold?

I’m going from memory here, so don’t hold me accountable, but I believe ATC wants $1200-$1500 for lift panels and vinyl. Call and talk to Marty or Jeff to be sure.

It’s up to you, but I my guess is there’s a lot of potential there.

Totally an opinion here - They are all good enough to redo!

I bought mine thinking I would only do the canvass - then very slowly took it down to the bones - not because it had all had to be done, but more like an OCD take over!

Thing is, once you get the canvass off and address any rot on panels or other wood areas like in the tub, it just makes sense to keep going!

Opinionated kidding aside, pop the top and keep camping that thing until you are forced to do some work, then decide what you are willing to do - If it doesn't pencil in to take on, I will buy it for $400 and you make a 2x return!

Dobba84 said:
Gut it and redo:) You'll love the process. It won't be too big of a money pit. I spent about ~3k on my full rebuild. I think you already connected with me on some other media forms but feel free to reach out again with whatever spesific questions you have. Have fun with it and get into it!

Put in a new faucet and replaced some hardware on the counter face today!

So hanging out in the camper with some tequila and just getting ideas. Someone in the past had the logic to build aluminum lift panels for it which I dig.
IMG_3312.JPG

Does anyone know what could cause the misalignment of the roof when down like this?

IMG_3313.JPG

Threw a new doorknob in tonight before it started snowing. My caulking gun is busted so the sealant job is kinda shoddy.

Door needs rebuilt

IMG_3331.JPG

Back
Top Bottom