2005 Hawk With Factory Installed Solar Port on Roof

Hiker9

Hi Folks.

I bought my Hawk in 2005. It came with a Zamp type solar port in the roof. My question is does that mean it is prewired for solar? I did find a set of 12 gauge red and black wires rolled up on the back wall of the compartment underneath the kitchen counter near the front of the camper where the water pump is mounted. They had tube connectors on the ends. I could not see where they came from other than away from the front of the camper. My guess is that they are the solar wiring, especially since the battery is also in the front area (opposite side) of the camper.

Can anyone confirm this? I will try to test them with my multimeter once I figure out how to get juice into the Zamp plug on the top.

Using your multimeter you can check for 12 VDC at the plug, and the wires. If there isn’t a reading, it is probably safe to short the pins of the SAE connector, then use the ohmmeter function to check for continuity across the two wires. My guess is you’ll have continuity, and have identified your solar panel wires.

There's some great FWC video's on YouTube:

I do remember there being mention that pre-wired solar was only on later models, not sure 2005 is late enough.

Can't remember which video afraid.

We have a 2006, and it was definitely pre-wired for solar but did not have any connector on the roof panel. The wires were taped to the roof panel (needed to drill out a hole for an SAE surface mount connector), routed past the front panel, and then into the cabinetry under the kitchen counter, just by the water pump. The wires were coiled, and crimped into a splice (other half of the splice was not crimped).

My recollection is that 2006 was the first year all campers were pre-wired if they didn't come with a solar kit or connector, but your 2005 does have the kit.

Back
Top Bottom