2005 Tacoma payload

Captm

We currently tow a popup camper modded for off road. Pulls like a dream and has lots of room inside- to much actually. I want to make the switch to a popup truck camper to visit those sights that I just do not want to try (make that my wife does not want to try) with a trailer. However the payload for my Tacoma, 2005 sport dbl cab Lb, is 1350. Myself, wife and 2 dogs =450lbs. (DW is petite) Leaving only 950lbs for the camper plus gear. I do not see how it can be done. How do you do it?

Anyone with a 1/2 ton rig with a camper is probably over payload just like most big 5th wheels probably exceed the towing capacity of the tow rigs, even the GMC 4500's or Ford 450's. Folks (me) just beef up the suspension and go.

CWD

Most people are going to be over GVWR.

That being said, I think I will be staying under with my FWC build. But I am making major compromises to stay lightweight.

I have consulted with my Toyota mechanic friend, and he said that going a little over GVWR is okay. I think it is up to each person to decide what "a little over" is.

Shell? No 3 way fridge, maybe a DC one. Wave heater is only a couple #'s, put the dogs on a diet, good tires, and a little suspension help.

I stripped mine down to a shell and use a DC fridge and a dual fuel Coleman stove. I have not weighed my setup, but I would like to lose a few hundred more pounds. I like the flexability of being able to take mountain bikes or extra provision to suit any trip. I have custom springs and bilstein shocks that do a good job with the supension, but I don't push it. If you want to do some serious off road, you will need to spend some money on upgrading your truck to handle the weight for sure.

There is also a center of gravity limit also. It can be done but it would take some work to calculate that.

Got the tires and suspension dialed in. My wife says I can shed 30lbs, the dogs not so much. I have been looking at shells and fitting it out with Engle, Wave, and my Campchef stove/oven. Yea, the stove/oven is a little heavy - but it can be used inside or out and fresh cinnimon rolls with my coffee in the morning can't be beat, although the coffecake is right up there.

I have been looking at shells and fitting it out with Engle, Wave, and my Campchef stove/oven.

Good place to start.

Just keep in mind that it is all the small stuff that adds up quickly.

I prefer to stay well under payload. And I certainly hope that if there is ever any emergency braking happening in front of me, that I don't have any of you over-payload, under-braked trucks behind me. Seriously though, over payload is adding risk to you, your family and others.

I prefer to stay well under payload. And I certainly hope that if there is ever any emergency braking happening in front of me, that I don't have any of you over-payload, under-braked trucks behind me. Seriously though, over payload is adding risk to you, your family and others.

We hear you Gene. We hear you. You should know that on my way home from Colorado I had to make an emergency stop on the highway (along with a few other cars in front of me) to avoid a near-accident, and I did not come anywhere close to rear ending the car in front. However, the sedan behind me had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid rear-ending me.

Any rig carrying a load (even under payload) will have a longer braking distance. Personally, I do my best to not tailgate, not speed, and I stay on secondary roads when possible. I prefer back roads anyway. Certainly an accident could happen, but it's just as likely to happen because I've ticked off some driver by going the speed limit, and have them pass unsafely.

We hear you Gene. We hear you.....

......However, the sedan behind me had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid rear-ending me.

Any rig carrying a load (even under payload) will have a longer braking distance. Personally, I do my best to not tailgate, not speed, ......

x2

A lot of cars with 4 to 5 people in it will be over GVWR.

It is all about driving safely for the conditions.

Yes, of course I would expect people to attempt to drive safely, but there is a reason accidents are called "accidents". You can not always predict conditions.

One other reason for staying within payload is that should you have an accident and people are hurt and a lawsuit goes into motion. The investigators always look for negligence. A vehicle over payload would clearly be considered negligent behavior usually resulting in little mercy from the courts.

For me it comes down to this (and it may be because I am up in years and experience): There are many threats in life to our health, safety, and our happiness. Terrible things we can not control like my wife's leukemia, or my father's cancer, or my 20 year old friend riding his bike only to be flatten by a drunk in a Hummer. So for me, if there is something that I can control in order to not end up in regret, I am going to do it. If not for me, then for my children, or for the children in the other vehicles on the road, I'm driving under payload.

I think most people on this forum take payload serious. I am not a regular on this forum but I will say the characters on this forum are nothing but responsible campers and drivers.

Back
Top Bottom