2005 to 2006 Tundra Transmission Service

super doody

I know there are a few members with 1st Gen Tundras so I thought I get some feedback from those folks.

For 2005 and 2006 Tundras, Toyota switched a lifetime auto transmission fluid and removed the transmission dip stick .

The Toyota maintenance guide only recommends changing the transmission fluid every 60K miles if you tow or drive in adverse conditions. Under normal driving conditions, the transmission fluid is set for the lifetime of the vehicle.

I'm at 76k miles on my 2006. I'm wondering if I should let the dealer do a full transmission flush since the fill and drain only replaces about 40% of the fluid. My camper has only been on my truck for the last 7k miles.

I've heard horror stories about transmission flushes so I would like not to make things worst, if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Jim

I did mine at 100k(06 tundra 4.0), had the hawk on for about 20k miles of that. Other than that no severe duty, light towing sometimes. Took it to my buddies lube shop, so I got to see what came out. Fluid looked clean and didn't smell burned or anything, tech said it looked fine. I think I could have driven another 100k on it. It does bother me that there is no dipstick, dealer told me there no need to ck fluid level unless there is a leak. I told him I guess we don't need one to ck engine oil then.

Drained and flushed mine somewhere in the high 90K's. Did a full pan-off flush last year or the year before. Coming up on 172K now.

I have a 06 Double cab and have done mine with machines that just used the transmission torque converter pump to exchange the fluid. I like the BG flush machine.

lifetime fluid is marketing BS. They assume you will sell the car long before the warranty runs out. Change fluids often if you plan on keeping the vehicle.

I'm sure the 05 4Runner V8 trans is not much different than the tundra. Been towing a Casita trailer and figured it was time to change the fluid at around 80K. I did not want to spend the money at Toyota plus rather do it myself and take my time. I learned that it was best to just buy the fluid at Toyota and was given a price break. The only way to check fluid level is to know that you have reached a temp range for expansion of fluid when you remove the plug a little will come out.

So I bought a scan gauge and was able to enter the code for seeing trans temp, yea!

I pulled the pan and the color was gun metal gray. Cleaned the pan and screen. I have a trans cooler up front and pulled the line and blew out the return line. Reinstalled the pan and put clean fluid in the trans. On the trans cooler line coming to the cooler put a clear jug and started the engine and watched the dirty fluid fill the jug and then spit. Stop the engine and refill the trans and repeat until the fluid comes out clean and new. Re attach the hoses and refill the trans.

Now run the engine until the trans temp is (can't remember?) ~225 degrees. While engine running pull the check plug and allow the excess to flow off and reattach the check plug. If nothing comes out add more fluid and repeat.

I felt I got all the old fluid out and it was not bad to do it yourself.

This was just a review from memory and I did have Toyota print me the pages necessary to do this.

Some people just pull the pan and add fluid back after cleaning the screen. Just go the extra few steps and flush out all the fluid. Sure I might have wasted a extra quart or two to make sure it was flushed, but I'm already there doing the work just making sure its clean.

Back
Top Bottom