2008 tacoma build up #4 receiver hitch carriers

lqhikers

getting closer to making new truck trail worthy! pulled factory receiver hitch off it had to happen as i needed to be able to drill cross bar to accept brackets that hold propane bottle and gas cans.most of the time i use them as shown,but can be used to mount motorcycle carrier,or as i have done in the past elect winch that can be transfered from rear to front. hope the pictures explain it clearley!as the picture shows i also added a tail-signal-stop light as gas cans block part of factory tail lights time for install approx 4 hours (brackets were off of my 2002 so did not have to fab new ones.drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0591 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0591 (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 727
  • DSCF0593 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0593 (Small).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF0594 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0594 (Small).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 711
  • DSCF0602 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0602 (Small).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 737
  • DSCF0598 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0598 (Small).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 736
2008 tacoma build up #4 finished photo

here is last pic off #4 build up> hope this helps anyone who wonder how some of these mods are done,drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0604 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0604 (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 784
What welder do use have?

What brand/model of welder are you using for all this great stuff you're making? I figure the best welder out there for the kind of stuff you're making in my price range is a Lincoln Electric 110V MIG welder that can use either flux core or argon shielding gas.

Great idea!! I'm searching a good way to carry extra gas for awhile. On the gas can side with 2 gas cans fully loaded that's around 100lbs in the basket. With a single 2" receiver would it be able handle the rotation load? With the basket that high there is a lot of leverage. If this is not a concern, then we have a winner! :D

answer to edohart and alex

i use a lincoln weld-pac 100 wire feeder 110v,also my arc welder is small one i bought at harbor tools on sale for about $100 did not think it would work to good but turned out it works as good as my old sears arc welder did (burned out after 25 years of use! wire welder is great on thin wall tubing,which opens up a lot of projects. alex,the gas can carriers are bullet proof as i have used them for years in baja,i even have another rack that bolts on top of one in pic to carry a total of 4 cans,when you look at pic of brackets the 2 bolts are what keeps racks from shifting as they are tightend down which takes all the slop out of carrier inserted into bracket.hopes this answers your questin!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

alex,the gas can carriers are bullet proof as i have used them for years in baja,i even have another rack that bolts on top of one in pic to carry a total of 4 cans,when you look at pic of brackets the 2 bolts are what keeps racks from shifting as they are tightend down which takes all the slop out of carrier inserted into bracket.hopes this answers your questin!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

This is great! I been trying to find a way to mount gas can but can't think of any good one. Now we have a winner. Can't wait to see when you are done with your truck/camper.

lq, any idea what the jerry can holder weighs? Also, have you thought of making a career out of doing custom fabs for us here on the site? I would think we could keep you busy for a while!

Thanks lqhikers

I have seen the Lincoln Weld-pac 100 for sale a few times a year at the local OSH. I'll keep a close eye on their sales.

Two more questions...
1) How did you find your source of stock material? I'm sure outlets exist in Santa Maria, but my searches of the yellow pages only find companies who will do the welding or metal fabricating.
2) What is the maximum wall thickness you can weld (assuming you grind or cut bevels in the surfaces to be welded)? Please note that I have never welded anything, but I've been researching welding for a while.

welding ? from edohart

ed, just jump in thats how i got started lots of practice wire welder is easy,invest in a self darking welding hood makes it easy as you don,t have to lift hood all the time,for the heavy stuff ,1/4"and larger i use a arc welder,with normal soft steel (most stuff is just reg steel)6013 rod makes it easy to weld, as far as buying material there should be places in santa maria or slo that sell steel normaley listed under steel supply possibly wholesale,but they will almost always sell to anyone.i buy in 20'lengths (normal stock size)if you buy shorter lengths they charge for cuts.almost everything i build is out of 1/2",3/4".1" ,1"x11/2" tubing,3/4",1",11/2",2" 1/8and 1/4"thick bar strap, i keep the above in stock so i can jump into a new idea when it came up! any other size i buy as needed,and scrounge when a good deal comes up! i also suggest buying a metal cut off saw (again harbor tools around $50.00) a small grinder with grinding wheels and cut off wheels($20.00 or so at harbor tools)works for me,i do a lot of metal work and tools have held up fine.hope this helps you .drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

weighing in on brett13 questin!

for some reason the gas can carrier is heaver in the afternoon than it is in the morning,but maybe its my age catching up with me.but to be serious i never have weighed it,i have always built with purpose and design in mind for my use,i"m pretty hard on using my equipment,(not abusing) my rigs are probably over weight and over built,hence as i say drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

lqhikers, you are my inspiration

Figuratively speaking, you are the wind beneath my wings. I've wanted to be able to weld for a few years but thought it required training and expensive equipment - your comments and pictures have inspired me to purchase a welder.

Would you take a pic of the setup from the straight back of the truck? Need to see what's the relation to turn signal and the camper. Thanks!

Would you take a pic of the setup from the straight back of the truck? Need to see what's the relation to turn signal and the camper. Thanks!

I went ahead and searched through all of lqhiker's previous posts. If one hasn't read through them all previously, then I would definitely recommend it.

Here is a post containing the photo you requested...

Racks and more

I went ahead and searched through all of lqhiker's previous posts. If one hasn't read through them all previously, then I would definitely recommend it.

Racks and more

Got it, thanks!

Racks and more

i agree, great stuff!

Real nice work there LQ. I see you have put a lot of research into your design. I was thinking about building a swing away gate but I like your idea because you still can access the camper and can detach what you don't need to carry. Plus, it doesn't take away much ground clearance/departure angle.

Great work! I really like the extra storage! Not sure I would be all that comfortable with all that flammable liquid and gas on the back of my rig. If you were rear ended by some idiot you and your rig would be toast?

Great work nontheless!!

paclow-do not fear!

i only fill rear gas carriers when i know we are going to be places that we would run short with out extra fuel.most of our trips are 1 to 3 weeks in remote area's lots of back roads and trails in Nevada,Idaho,Calif. Desert,Baja etc,never did like 4 wheeling /camping in cities,so don't worry about people running into me,(did have a cow butt the truck once in Nevada!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

another gas carrier (single 5 gal)

thought i'd post a couple of pictures of set up i use for short trips and when we are doing some tougher 4x4 trails and want a better departure angle on rear.1st pic shows bottom of carrier just a regular can carrier with supports added, the left side of carrier shows a strap that attachs to jack brackets on eagle when mounted .the base is just a triangle of 1"thin wall sq. tubing with 3 mounting points that are bolted through bottom of fwc with a backing plate.this would work for fellow fwc people that do not want to add mounting points on back of camper as some do.with bottom mounting and jack bracket brace mount there is no movement.i also move my propane up on rack where i normally carry water can. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attachments

• DSCF0775.jpg
    DSCF0775.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCF0780.jpg
    DSCF0780.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 731
  • DSCF0777.jpg
    DSCF0777.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 315
Back
Top Bottom