2009 CO New home

bobco

bought a 2009 from former coworker. Working on getting details worked out to use it. Need to add microwave oven, small one would like to have mounted and leave it. what do most do with bed, remove bedding when down, seems like not much room and torques side panels if left on bed in down position, also has 3" memory foam topper that doesn't help things. Jack are hitting sides and leaving scratchs, looks like mounts need to be straightened, PO left camper on jacks with no saw horses :(. what about front bolt to keep top down traveling, sounds like not needed? should be ready to roll soon.

Attachments

• 20180809_180600.jpg
    20180809_180600.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 20180809_183658.jpg
    20180809_183658.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 20180809_184815.jpg
    20180809_184815.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 20180810_060136.jpg
    20180810_060136.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 199
Good looking camper bobco
Sorry can’t help with your questions. Look like partner ready to go. Plenty Alaskan members here to offer up advice.
Russ

Nice one I do not move the mattress it's a 3" natural latex xx firm never bottoms out, cant help with the micro as I dont use em. No need to bolt anything down. It takes a few trips to figure out what you can leave in place and what needs to be moved before you lower the top. Is the top hydrolic or electric assist? I have no plans to remove it primerily becase I have no place to store it.

as far as bolting things down I was referring to drivers side hole with pin to keep top from going up on highway, PO sounded like it was unneeded, I cannot expect that top to go up without hydraulics , yes it does have an electric pump for the raise, I would guess all the newer ones do?

Very nice! I was told to check your mirror when driving and if you see the top lifting up then put the bolt in. I just drive from Colorado to Florida and had no problems. Came with a microwave but I don't use it. If it was up to me I would get rid of it but the wife might not like that idea.

When traveling I always put bolt in on the left side. We have traveled with it out and noticed a large # of dead little road bugs on the insidealong the outside edges of the three CO panels

Welcome aboard Bob....

You should check to see if the Pirelli seals are still pliable and not featherd/shredded, if they are then order the stuff from Alaskan and replace all of it. Not only will it seal the night drafts out of the camper, but it keeps bugs from getting in there....nothing like a really mad yellowjacket in there when you get inside! New seals keep dampness out and heat in and critters out when you winter over. It is probably also due for a major sealing operation you can read about in this forum where you put in new butyl sealant under all the window drip rails and where each window is installed and especially any roof vents.

If the CO part of the Alaskan is too HIGH over the cab, too much air gets in and it can start to lift the top so I have heard. I can see where if you were doing 70 into a 45 MPH headwind how that might want to effect the top staying down as well. I have driven mine at 65-70 and can see the side of the top in my rear view mirror and it wasn't going anywhere but then again I probably have about 3" of space between the cab roof and the CO bottom.

I have the original mattress in the upper bunk. When you fold down the L & R side panes, place a pillow or something between them to rest the front panel on to keep it from crushing or abrading the Pirelli seal on each side panel. I have a 3" Memory Foam mattress that I take down and store on one of the dinette seats. If your mattress is too thick then the panels can't lay down as they should. It is a design feature you should carry forward if you replace the mattress and not get one too thick.

You have the #1 rated jacks for the Alaskan, but if they are hitting the SIDE of the upper section then they were mounted too CLOSE to the edge of the lower panel.

Even two sawhorses are not recommended...you need to support the floor really well when it is in the truck and the same goes for when it is dismounted. That can mean 5/8" plywood and per haps two or three more sawhorses as long as they are all the same height or they are not going to do a good job.

A complete cleaning of the water tank and pumps is advised and all systems like heat/'fridge/cooktop/stove need to be checked out as well as the propane tank and if it is full and how to access it for a refill and if it needs recertification.

I would suggest you read each and every post in the Alaska Camper section and probably more than a few "a-ha!" moments will jump out at you!

Don't be overwhelmed by all I have written, its maintenance and learning about your new-to-you camper! I'm on my second Alaskan after a Lance in between. They are kind of a cult thing, you either love 'em for their good and bad faults or you leave 'em for some other mfger.

We're off for a trip this weekend to a private ranch east of Corning up around 2000' elevation. Heading up I-80 to I-505 to I-5 and over on 32. I will put a padlock on the top as added security and put a tag on the hydraulic handle reminding me it is there. Any new Alaskan owner who isn't that familiar with them should probably make a To-Do list as a reminder of that and to remove items where the top comes down on them.

I like the tag idea, been troubled over locking top down and forgetting to remove lock before raising, I know I would do it sooner or later. got some good red tags at work perfect! have a good trip!

I don’t see a lock down place on my ‘74.

I leave the needle valve cracked open on the hydraulic lift to allow for temp and pressure changes.

I see zero movement of the top when travelling even when meeting cow haulers in crosswinds ...

Is a lock there and I don’t know it?

Thanks

It isn't a lock per se....it consists of two flanges that stick out enough for you to insert about a 5/16" bolt through or possibly a padlock as an extra security measure. If you look at the R/F corners when the top is lowered and then the L/F corner, you will notice the difference.

Mine is a 1976 so I can't confirm when that feature was introduced or if it was abandoned on different mfgered Alaskans or at some point by all of the mfgers.

I'm guessing your 1974 should have this feature though!

Sadly I lost the top of a eary 80's vintage Alaska! Breezy here in southern Alberta.
My current version 2003, came with the bolted drivers side. First trip on a windy day I turned around, went home & added one on passengers side! I could see it lifting in mirror.
I have since added pins on the front of C/O leading edge as well.

Back
Top Bottom