2009 Colorado Trip

Darryla

For the folks that know, do you think its too late in the year the go to say Engineer pass? I could leave Saturday and spend about 7 days. I live in the SF Bay area. Any comments appreciated.

Darryl

ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma

I heard on the news today that Colorado has been hit with a massive early season storm - up to 18 inches in spots. I'd retire Colorado for the year.

Thanks Dirty Dog. We were in Lake City a couple of years ago and I did drive up the trail aways and turned around. The only folks I saw going on had snorkels on their jeeps. Oh well, you can't fault a guy for trying. We will leave for the eastern sierras and down into Death Valley on Saturday. I gotta go somewhere for a while and I would like to explore those areas more also.

Darryl

Maybe Kokopelli can chime in if he reads this and give you a better idea of conditions locally.

From my understanding, the area being hit by the heavy snow is the Front Range foothills above 7K and a higher area south of Denver.

No idea about the San Juans. We got snow up here but only a few inches above 10K. Above timberline is white but again...it's just a dusting here and it wiill melt.

Forecast for next week here is 65/35 all week. Don't wanna steer ya this way on one account...but don't believe it when folks say it's dumping ALL over Colorado unless it's January....and even then one area can get 3 ft and anorther 20 miles away can get nada. It's all about how it comes in and what mountains block or enhance the storms that roill in.

have fun wherever you land

mtn

I'm at about 5600 ft and got nothing but rain. I'm heading to Durango on Friday and the forecast is for weather perfection... 70ish. I'll be riding in my first 100 mile bicycle ride. What was I thinking when I signed up for this....?

Engineer pass imo would be a chance this time of year. Just a couple of snow drifts in the wrong place could make for a bad trip. We get reports every year at this time with hunters running up against bad weather and getting into trouble. Go another time for safety.

Back
Top Bottom