2014 Ram Heavy Duty Fifth Wheel Prep - Camper Attachment?

hmt

Advanced Member
Has anyone considered attaching their truck camper using the integrated fifth wheel attachment points (optional) on the 2014 Ram Heavy Duty Trucks? It would seem a lot cleaner to not have to drill additional holes in the bed of the truck in addition to, being what is probably a safe assumption, a lot stronger? (Frame attachment vs. bed sheet metal)

2748-Ram_ContentStory_2500-Capability-FifthWheelGooseNeck-1.jpg

Looking at the placement, my Grandby would sit on top of them. My eye bolts are further forward and aft and closer to the bed side.

Maybe the manufacturers could offer a floor attachment option that included the necessary bracing in the floor of a camper??? One could bolt through the floor of the camper and eliminate the common turnbuckle setups/etc. Kinda truck specific, but ...

Just thinking out loud I guess ...

hmt said:
One could bolt through the floor of the camper and eliminate the common turnbuckle setups/etc.
Thats how FWC used to do it back in the olden days when the factory was in Denver (they still do if you want...I think).

My brand new 1983 Granby was mounted with four elevator bolts through the camper floor into the bed of my truck.
Twenty five years with that set up and no problems. No bracing needed, just fender washers and a lock washer. Never loosened up once.

Back
Top Bottom