2015 Hawk Shell (changed to base model)

Here some other hidden options:
-Increasing lift panels, gives 6'9'' interior
-Internal walls with screws

Jim
FWC built a 6'9" interior for a client that is 6'9" tall. I really think this is a case of FWC going above and beyond to accommodate a client with special needs vs. a "hidden option".

As clients we really should respect that customization comes at a cost. Somebody has to pay for it. Personally I'd like to see the units more affordable, while at the same time allowing FWC to maintain a healthy enough margin to remain in business and offer a quality product.

just the tank, or the cabinet for the tank?

they'll sell you the framed wall but won't tell you where the framing is by providing any dimensions - while i'm griping they also do a slack job of vacuuming the drill shards inside the camper prior to delivery- leaving aluminum and wood dust inside the cabinets and underneath the cabover bed mattress. and apparently electrical schematics are also a no-no

super doody said:
Deethe,

I was told today via email that if I get the base model frame on the driver side, I can't get the propane tank. I don't know the exact reasons why.
Where did you want the propane tank? There are several walls. The shell wall with heater to the read and door to the camper off set so the propane tanks will fit to the left. The full build (standard?) with the heater a little forward and bracing for the water, elec, Hotwater etc. The front dinette (self contained) with the tanks mounted high and everything in a different place. The read door is centered on this model so the cassette toilet will fit to the right.

Bill D said:
FWC built a 6'9" interior for a client that is 6'9" tall. I really think this is a case of FWC going above and beyond to accommodate a client with special needs vs. a "hidden option".
My 2013 Hawk shell I got used 6 months old has 6'9" inside. I thought this was the new standard, I guess not. My 5'2" wife would rather have the short roof. I do like the extra room over the bed.

Hi Bill, I would like to place the propane compartment on the driver side rear wall just like the base model. What type of bracing is missing in the shell model? If it's just one cross bar which is shown on your blog, than I'm not sure if that's really worth the $600 upgrade.

billharr said:
Where did you want the propane tank? There are several walls. The shell wall with heater to the read and door to the camper off set so the propane tanks will fit to the left. The full build (standard?) with the heater a little forward and bracing for the water, elec, Hotwater etc. The front dinette (self contained) with the tanks mounted high and everything in a different place. The read door is centered on this model so the cassette toilet will fit to the right.

My 2013 Hawk shell I got used 6 months old has 6'9" inside. I thought this was the new standard, I guess not. My 5'2" wife would rather have the short roof. I do like the extra room over the bed.

Bill D said:

As clients we really should respect that customization comes at a cost. Somebody has to pay for it. Personally I'd like to see the units more affordable, while at the same time allowing FWC to maintain a healthy enough margin to remain in business and offer a quality product.
Understand and respect the production process but willing to pay for the option and just don't understand the reasoning why. You can get a base model frame but no propane box

super doody said:
Hi Bill, I would like to place the propane compartment on the driver side rear wall just like the base model. What type of bracing is missing in the shell model? If it's just one cross bar which is shown on your blog, than I'm not sure if that's really worth the $600 upgrade.
Do not understand why they would not put it there. My shell had it there and the furnace and battery above. Don't see what bracing would be different.

super doody said:
The sales person gave me incorrect information. You can order the base model frame with propane ready box in the Shell model. Bill, do you have anymore pictures of the bracing you had add in order to fit all the base model options in the shell besides the bracket below?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uaFTr4HJ-lA/Uq96_-DGt1I/AAAAAAAABa0/flrCU-LDUok/s1600/bracket.jpg

I'm trying to see if the $600 upgrade to base model frame is worth it.

Thanks,

Jim
I had to cut a hole for the water inlet that is the picture you have in your post.

The 110 volt I used the hole FWC had for the heater. Made a plate to reach the bracing they had there.
power+plug.jpg

I did have to make a bracing for the new heater exhaust location. I put two long horizontal 1" tubes to the vertical 1" tubes that were on the camper and one short vertical 1" tubes to screw the vent into, like a side way "U". I was able to use one of the FWC vertical tubes for one side. This is a pic from the outside, you can see the top and side tube in this picture.
med_gallery_1903_712_68308.jpg

This is picture from the inside. Propane line you see is for the stove top. Sorry it is not better.
cabinet+under+heater.jpg

My braces are pot riveted and FWC would have welded them in. The only down side I see to having them do the work is you might not match just where you want them to be, say you used a different size plywood for your bottom shelf. Your heater vent would not line up.

I used wood blocks for my 12 volt plugs and for my sink drain. Note I put my sink drain under the front side 12 v plug by the fresh water fill so I had a shorter outside run to my gray water tank inside the truck bed.
P1110775.jpg

Adding the bracing is not that hard to do and I feel the pop rivets are OK for my use. I pulled back the top of the side panel and marked the location of all the vertical tubes. Under the cabinet is out of sight, so I used an ice pick to find the sides of the tubes and just used a box knife to cut out the panel to install the bracing.

Well, its finally final now!! Any changes from now will incur a $250 change order.

Final options:
-Aluminum jack bracket
-Power roof vent
-8' side awning (splurge item)
-Curtains
-Propane ready box
-Wiring only with blue sea fuse box
-Driver side full build frame
-Prep for exterior gas strut
-Yakima tracks only

Thanks for everyone for their support and patience especially to the FWC team.

Jim

super doody said:
Well, its finally final now!! Any changes from now will incur a $250 change order.

Final options:
-Aluminum jack bracket
-Power roof vent
-8' side awning (splurge item)
-Curtains
-Propane ready box
-Wiring only with blue sea fuse box
-Driver side full build frame
-Prep for exterior gas strut
-Yakima tracks only

Thanks for everyone for their support and patience especially to the FWC team.

Jim

3b1.gif

Congrats Jim,
It must feel nice to finally pull the trigger and take the next step towards owning a FWC vs. dreaming about one.
There is no "perfect" build or value proposition. You'll always evaluate and reevaluate your choices.
It looks like you have taken care of the "I wish I would have" with the drivers side full build frame and the gas strut prep.

Everything from here on in will be an adventure, even a build, if you choose to do so.

Still planning to update this thread with thoughts, ideas and questions from time to time till my camper is ready. Hope you guys don't mind.

Since I"m saving +$7K on the shell model I'm planning to use the money towards the following:

-Cabinetry and wood working classes
-A jobsite table saw from SawStop http://www.sawstop.com/jobsite

billharr said:
+1 on the sawstop

As Bill says, from tough experience in his case, +1 on the saw stop. One thing I have heard, though, is don't try to cut wet or very green wood as it can trigger the stop mechanism and it is expensive to replace. Still good protection though.

super doody said:
FWC estimated completion date is 4/20 or 4/21 :p
Now the wait begins. Lots of time to get all of you little accessories. I remember when we placed our order, I had a list of close to $5K in items. Sean Dempsey took one look and by the time we got done looking at it, we were down to $2K. We hadn't camped in 35 years, since we were first married. We had to get everything, sleeping bags, pots and pans, coffee press, extra extension cords, white water hoses on a reel (50' & 25'), extension cords, 30 & 50 amp converters for hook-up. We had the chairs and the grill. You will enjoy. jd

super doody said:
Still planning to update this thread with thoughts, ideas and questions from time to time till my camper is ready. Hope you guys don't mind.

Since I"m saving +$7K on the shell model I'm planning to use the money towards the following:

-Cabinetry and wood working classes
-A jobsite table saw from SawStop http://www.sawstop.com/jobsite
The SawStop looks a lot like my Dewalt in a different color and twice the price. I'm pretty happy with the Dewalt.

Back
Top Bottom