2015 Hawk Shell (changed to base model)

longhorn1 said:
Now the wait begins. Lots of time to get all of you little accessories. I remember when we placed our order, I had a list of close to $5K in items. Sean Dempsey took one look and by the time we got done looking at it, we were down to $2K. We hadn't camped in 35 years, since we were first married. We had to get everything, sleeping bags, pots and pans, coffee press, extra extension cords, white water hoses on a reel (50' & 25'), extension cords, 30 & 50 amp converters for hook-up. We had the chairs and the grill. You will enjoy. jd
All those little things do add up. One thing you have listed, sleeping bags. The wife bought a new double down bag when we got our 2002 Hawk. Yes they work well but still a sleeping bag. With the 2013 Hawk and the extended front we just use sheets, a blanket and down comforter. Nice to have the bed always ready. We no longer use the pull out. I do pull it out about 6 inches, this gives the person sleeping in the front extra elbow room. Also allows us to step down on the pad over the front water tank.

Because my 17 month old daughter needs milk, I'm thinking about refrigerators. Trying to decided between portable fridges or Waeco/dometic fridge.

Portable Fridge:

Pros
-easy install, no external vents
-more efficient, low amps
-portable, pre-cool before a trip at home

Cons
-smaller capacity
-some (older?) engel models are noisy

Waeco/dometic type
Pros
-large capacity
-looks cleaner

Cons
-harder to install,add additional cooling fan
-less efficient

Cost wise, i think they are about the same. Actually, the portable fridges are more expensive. For folks with Waeco/dometic type of fridges, when at home do you leave your camper plugged in (house power) or just turn off the fridge?

I take the camper off the truck after every trip. I turn the fridge off, wipe out any moisture from the freezer, prop the door open, and turn the camper power off. When I retire, I'm planning on leaving it on the truck and in our driveway so I can plug in periodically. I have the 80 in my new camper.

Nothing new to report, except my installed is scheduled for 4/23.

To make up for the lack of updates, here are some pictures:

When my daughter was 7 months old on her first camping trip in our old Eagle Shell:

old truck and camper:

New (to me) truck:

After flopping back and forth and many discussions with my wife, I decided to go ahead with the charge order fee and go with a full build out instead of a shell. I really appreciate FWC's patience with us during this process. The price of the camper has doubled but I was given a healthy dose of reality from my wife 1. I have problem with completing projects. I'm good at starting them till ~80% completion 2. Its a long time invest 3.Easier with a toddler to have more amenities (i.e. furnace, frig for milk, etc.) 4.Lack of time.

super doody said:
After flopping back and forth and many discussion with my wife, I decided to go ahead with the charge order fee and go with a full build out instead of a shell. I really appreciate FWC's patience with us during this process. The price of the camper has doubled but I was given a healthy dose of reality from my wife 1. I have problem with completing projects. I'm good at starting them till ~80% completion 2. Its a long time invest 3.Easier with a toddler to have more amenities (i.e. furnace, frig for milk, etc.) 4.Lack of time.
Good Choice. Life will be easier.

Congrats, now you won't have any regrets and you can start getting full value out of the camper immediately. I'm sure you guys will hang out in it for hours at a time comfortably now.

We were going to order a Hawk shell as well, but managed to acquire a pre-owned 2013 loaded Hawk the day before I was going to place my order. We were just starting out vacation, so we started using it right away.

All I can say... and I hope this applies to you... is that we loved the amenities. Right off the hop we were enjoying the furnace, fridge, stove, counter space, sink. We were able to hang out in it for hours with enjoyment and I know that wouldn't have been the case with a shell. I knew right away that I made the right choice (even though it still cost more than a brand new shell).

My guess is once you start using it, you will feel exactly the same way. You'll know you made the right choice, when you look over at your wife and daughter together in comfort as they makes it their little home away from home.

super doody, we went through the same thing. I don't have time for projects, but we don't spend much time in the camper... decision for us was based on age and wanting amenities when on the road. Good luck with yours, getting ours in may...

I thought long and hard on the shell. Then I decided to do a shell with some extras. Then I looked at the price of the shell with extras and the price of a base and I got the base. I love my camper. I just got done with 4 days of fishing 6 nights on the river fishing. I didn't want to came home.

Thanks all for the group therapy. In a way I feel like I wussed out :p I think the shell still make sense in some situation like cooking outside. Our eagle was a shell so we do have experience with camping in a shell. I had two small rubber maid containers. One was a cooking box and the other for dry goods. I feel like with the base model it takes an little more time setting up cooking outside. The advantage is in bad weather situations.

super doody said:
Thanks all for the group therapy. In a way I feel like I wussed out :p I think the shell still make sense in some situation like cooking outside. Our eagle was a shell so we do have experience with camping in a shell. I had two small rubber maid containers. One was a cooking box and the other for dry goods. I feel like with the base model it takes an little more time setting up cooking outside. The advantage is in bad weather situations.
You didn't wuss out at all. I wanted to use it right away and didn't need another project. The camper was for getting me away from all the projects the comes with owning a 77 year old house. Get out and enjoy!

When you add your time it is almost always better and cheaper to buy what you want. Us old retired guys just need things to do.

Mike has been snapping photos my camper build. For the past few days. This has been long time coming. Nothing like see pictures of your camper in your inbox every morning. Mike is at Seat Otter so hopefully Stan will continue to see me pictures.

img_117805_0_61003c047543ec2bd17ed2176b89361c.jpg

img_117805_2_3c6a34fac1bba855bfc5ae50436c1455.jpg

img_117805_4_aa8d5139a0bfbcb14625c3d1c4f04c9b.jpg

img_117805_6_e86a3c137e9386e31eb610f37758cdbf.jpg

img_117805_8_f54c5192940c90b068ff11023103c63c.jpg

Can't wait to install this puppy on my truck and use it next weekend

super doody said:
Installing a hellwig rear sway bar this weekend and possibly new brake pads and rotors.
You are going to love that sway bar. Best addition I made to my Tundra.

No amber lens on porch light or awning light. Must use amber bulbs/LEDs or someone proved amber lights don't keep the skeeters at bay after all. :)

Ditto on the Hellwig rear sway bar on my Tundra.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom