2015 Hawk UTE existing wiring & Proposed sketch

No problem just leaving them connected, but unused. I would leave the wires as they are so as not to rule out a portable panel in the future. There are some very compact folding panels that I am sure you can fit, and if you are to head up north where there are more trees, more clouds and lower solar angles you may really appreciate a portable panel as you may not get what you need from your roof panels.

pvstoy said:
Yes 2015 Hawk flatbed both solar wires come together just above the battery box. Tied together with terminal blocks then access the battery box below.

If not going to use, does the extra solar wire run to the rear effect the line losses having that run live and connected with a terminal block? I know that voltage and current will flow the direction of use but any ill effect of it just letting it sit in the wire? One thought just popped into my head that could use that wire run to mount a backup camera.

paddlesurf.net said:
Hey could you give me more information on the temperature sensor you mentioned as an upgrade to the BMV-712? Since my controller is in a different cabinet than my batteries this is a feature I could really use.

Wonder if Hawk flatbed wiring is different than Fleet? Will be interesting to see - I thought layouts were similar.
Here is the info from Victron for the smart battery sense module:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/smart_battery_sense_manual

And explaining how the Smart networking works with other products:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

For those of us with Lithium batteries, this is a pretty cool addition as you can inhibit charging below a certain temperature.

rando said:
Here is the info from Victron for the smart battery sense module:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/smart_battery_sense_manual

And explaining how the Smart networking works with other products:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

For those of us with Lithium batteries, this is a pretty cool addition as you can inhibit charging below a certain temperature.
Ah ok - I've seen this. I emailed Victron asking where to purchase - waiting for a reply.

If you have the BMV-712, I don't think you need the extra device. The BMV-712 will send the temperature and voltage to your MPPT controller.

Paddlesurf here are some pictures of my Hawk flatbed. The previous owner custom made two draws above the electrical cabinet, and yes you have to disassemble it all to get inside.

You can click on them to make them bigger
. elec5.jpg
elec3.jpg
elec2.jpg

rando said:
If you have the BMV-712, I don't think you need the extra device. The BMV-712 will send the temperature and voltage to your MPPT controller.
Ok now THAT is cool. I had no idea it did that - I don't have an extra temperature "probe" plugged into the extra ports on the shunt - does that matter?

pvstoy said:
Paddlesurf here are some pictures of my Hawk flatbed. The previous owner custom made two draws above the electrical cabinet, and yes you have to disassemble it all to get inside.

You can click on them to make them bigger
attachicon.gif
elec5.jpg
attachicon.gif
elec3.jpg
attachicon.gif
elec2.jpg
Cool - thanks for the pics!

Man, don't you love your flatbed? We took ours up to Torrey Pines State Beach today. There's a corner up in the parking lot that's perfect for posting up in the flatbed for the day (nice ocean views). Made some hot tea, ate cheese and crackers and went for a nice beach walk.

Looks like the previous owner did a little extra wiring? My wiring looks a bit different than that. Maybe wiring is different if you have different options? For example I have the cassette toilet - it doesn't look like you have that below and just ahead of your battery box like I do.

I'm going to start installing my solar components this week. I'm going to install and connect the controller to the battery and will also connect the roof (and rear) panel wiring to the controller as well. I'm still mulling placement of the two 100watt panels (I don't want them to be shaded by surfboards racked up there) but decided to wire them in parallel rather than series. That'll just make it easier to plug in a portable if I pick up another 100watt panel and, from what I've read, if one panel is shaded it won't knock out the whole array.

Back
Top Bottom