2015 Tacoma and Air-Lift airbags

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa
I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport Quad cab and 4Wheel Parts has installed 3 sets of Air-Lift air bags and they keep blowing out. I think they may have put the wrong kit on the first time and they blew within a day, but the latest set was holding OK until I took a 350 mile drive to Florida. I noticed a bouncy ride part way down and now the bags won't hold air, so back to 4Wheel Parts when I get home, but has anyone had good luck with this setup? Any tricks to this particular truck? I was running about 40# when I left home.

Thanks.

I have Firestone airbags on my 2011 Tacoma and aside from having to modify the axle tube bracket due to extra leafsprings I am very happy.I also have Airlift bags on my T100 that I had my FWC camper on for 10 years.I had good luck with my Airlift bags but I am glad I went with Firestones witch I think are a better product.That said ,I think you may be a victim of incompitent installers.The airbag needs to be lined up properly or it is likely to fail.The top and bottom brackets need to be parallel and the bags need to be straight up and down and square to the brackets.

I'm not going to give up and go somewhere else to buy another set, I'd prefer for them to make things right. Just wanted to know if anyone had the same truck and same bags and did anything special.

Did the bags fail or is it a leak in the lines?Have you taken a look at the install for anything that does not look right?Did both bags fail?Do you have a compressor system or just 2 remote located Schrader valves?You need to do some diagnostic work or be at the mercy of someone that may or may not know what they are doing!Soapy water in a spray bottle may help to locate leaks.Post some pictures of the install.

Definitely not normal behavior. Lawnmowerman advice is on target. In 60k miles with Firestone Riderites I've had failures only due to weak factory bolts and a onetime overload/overinflation failures, aka operator failure.

Charlie,

Was there any visible damage to the air bag or air lines? I hate to say this but 4WP is notorious for providing bad workmanship. I would have 4WP install a new pair and inspect everything when you get home. I would visually inspect everything for clearance and line kinks then try remove some air and compress the rear suspension with a floor jack or park on a the hill to flex the rear suspension to check for clearance again.

A lot of people including myself use daystar craddles instead of attaching the airbags directly to the axle so you dont have to worry about over stretching the air bags when offroading.

Good luck.

Jim

The same incompetent shop installed 3 sets and couldn't get it right? Have you determined the cause or location of the leak? Something as simple as not cutting the air lines straight will cause them to deflate. It could be that the shop is re-using some parts. Or just using the same poor methods and not learning anything from it.
Personally I don't let anyone touch my rigs unless absolutely needed for this reason.
I would demand a full refund and go somewhere else if you're not able to do the work.

If you suspect you're over extending them look into the daystar cradles.
Something else to consider (though it won't fix your airbag problem) is installing a heavier duty leaf spring pack so you aren't relying so much on the airbags.

Thanks all. The first set blew out and I think they were the wrong brackets so they replaced only the bags which did same. This time it was a new kit and there was a slow leak which they tightened. When I got to FL I noticed they were flat again and will take them back to 4Wheel, was just wondering if anyone had the same bags on a 2015. I have had good luck with this shop in the past and this was the first 2015 model they had seen so am hoping it's just a quirk, they have said they will make it right.

I'm not looking to bash them just curious if anyone has the same year and model truck with airbags.

Edit to add: driver's side bag has a hole in it and it looks like it wasn't installed vertically like the passenger side and bag rubbed, so it will be back to 4Wheel Parts to get them to correct the install problem.

Stalking Light said:
Thanks all.
I'm not looking to bash them just curious if anyone has the same year and model truck with airbags.
Seems like a pretty straight forward question to me.

Being you were unable to get an answer to your question, perhaps you can ask for Firestone bags this time around. Their RMA privileges may allow them to do an exchange for another brand.

Bill D said:
Seems like a pretty straight forward question to me.

Being you were unable to get an answer to your question, perhaps you can ask for Firestone bags this time around. Their RMA privileges may allow them to do an exchange for another brand.
That will be part of my plan, but I will also ask them why the two bags don't line up vertically. I think my issue is more with the install than the particular product, but I'm going to pursue all options. This particular store does a lot of suspension work (the south is jacked up truck country) so I'll keep at it until they get it right,

SB_Surf said:
I had air lift bags on my 2005 F150. They seemed ok but I did not like them j- bolt design. When I switched to the 2008 F250 I installed Firestone bags. I just installed the Daystar cradles even knowing the Firestone warning. I do need to look at modifying the lower bracket bolt hole to allow the cradle to be better centered. I'll be monitorind this before any rough use.

Back
Top Bottom