2015 Tacoma: Now what?

huckfinn

Advanced Member
1) My recently-departed stock 2008 Tacoma had BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO: LT 265/75/R16. (I know I want at least that much tire again, but I don't know much more.)

2) We plan to put a FWC Fleet shell on the new Tacoma.

3) We now have a new 2015 TRD Tacoma Access Cab/with V6 and 6 speed manual, off-road package. (The same truck, really.)

4) We are not hardcore off-roaders (or I'd know more) but we like to explore and our rock climbing takes us places often difficult to get to, for example, we did the moderately difficult 4WD Shuteye Peak Trail in Sierra National Forest in the old Tacoma, and, in the process, destroyed a set of BFG Rugged Trails (the stock tire on our new Tacoma now.)

Should I get new tires first, and the suspension upgrade after I get the FWC? Blisteins 5100's all around? Supersprings? Hellwigs? Firestone airbags? A lift package? I don't know why but I think my 2008 had better clearance, and the tires (above mentioned) are only going to add a half an inch, I believe. How much clearance do you think would be right for our moderate ambitions? How should I achieve it?

Thanks for any ideas.

We have a fully loaded Fleet on a 2015 Tacoma TRD 5 speed auto with Firestone air bags and Toyo E rated Open Country LT 26575R16s. So far I'm not sure we need anything else. It's not a sports car, but is a very nice ride.

On my 2013 access-cab Tacoma & Fleet, I've very happy with my BFG AT KO's (note the KO2's are out now) and Firestone airbags. The Bilstein 5100's really helped with the stability and feeling of safety in the ride. I'd recommend getting the air bags and shocks before picking up your camper, then you'd be ready to go. Also, don't forget to upgrade your spare tire.

The BFG AT KO2s should build on the strengths of the original AT. However, I would definitely modify your suspension to handle the weight of the camper first. Air bags and heavier shocks at a minimum. We use Boss air bags (and shocks), but the Firestone bags are excellent as well. Even if the camper stays on all the time, as ours does, it's nice to be able to level the truck with varying loads in the camper.

I just bought a 2012 Tacoma access cab, 6 speed manual to haul my fully loaded fleet. I plan on adding load e tires and airbags as ws, bill and JH recommend. If I'm not happy with how it rides with that setup, I'll look at replacing/enhancing the leaf springs, probably with the hellwig pack.

The Tacoma replaces a 96 T100 to carry the fleet. I had firestone riderite airbags and load c BFG ATs. Load C was the best I could do on the 15" stock wheel on the 96 T100, but the setup worked very well. Apples and oranges maybe, but I guess I'll find out soon enough how the bags and tire upgrade works on the Tacoma.

My Tacoma has the TRD off road package, which included bilstein shocks- the 4600 HD series best I can tell, There are a couple of references to bilstein 5100s in this thread, can anyone comment on what kind of upgrade the 5100s are over the 4600s?

I can't comment directly on your OEM 4600's, but typical stock shocks are tuned for an unloaded, or lightly loaded, vehicle. The 5100's are specifically designed for heavy loads, yet retain a good ride in street conditions or unloaded. I've never felt the need to enhance the leaf springs after upgrading the shocks (and with the air bags.)

Back
Top Bottom